What about an ECHO CS-400?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some smaller Echos and like them for what they are. They have been dependable, and seem to take a beating in the way of cutting stuff that shouldn't be expected of a 33.4cc saw. That said, when you compare power to weight ratios and quality of build, I'll still stand by the Makita DCS401 as the best bang for the buck. I bought one new on Ebay for $225+ S&H and one almost new on Ebay for $160+ S&H.

The dealer/sponsors around here likely don't appreciate the mention of Ebay, so here is a link to a Dolmar PS-401 from one of the dealer/sponsors:

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_PS410_p/dolmar ps401.htm

At $249 I think the Dolmar better choice than the Echo 370 or 400(plastic cases) in that the Dolmar is lighter, more powerful, has magnesium cases, and decomp valve for easy starting. Vibration is very low.

For $40 more from the same dealer is the new replacement. It is a bit heavier, but about 20% more powerful, so should still be a great choice/deal.

I'm careful with my saws, and don't just throw them nto the back of the truck to slide around or have logs fall on them. Most of mine ride in hard, protective cases, whether the saw has plastic or metal cases. That said, I do prefer a saw with magnesium cases over one with plastic cases. True, the Echos have an all metal engine housed in a plastic clamshell(like the Stihl 290/310/390) and unlike the smaller Husqvarna 340/345/350 that have a plastic lower.

The Makita/Dolmar products exude quality.

Just because a saw doesn't run or cut quite as fast as another, doesn't qualify it as "gutless junk".

We have been objective about commenting on the Echo power equipment that we have. The newer piston ported engine chain saws that Echo is making have served us quite well, without the first catastrophic engine failure, or having to replace any parts other than chains, bars, and drive sprockets.

We have said on more than one occassion, that they make "decent" power, but are not overly impressive. They still start effortlessly, run flawlessly, and don't give any problems in any area(s). Cases in point. If I were to compare our Husqvarna 268XPS to the Echo CS-670, the Echo looses in every catagory, except ease of starting and reliability. The 268 runs faster, cuts faster, and has more power at every rpm, even "grunting" it hardwood with the entire bar buried. The Echo in contrast, just runs and cuts, and has a more or less "boring" power curve.....but it gets thru the log without falling apart or seizing up.

I've logged enough hours on them to feel confident in provided usable/accurate information about them. If/when we have problems, they will be reported. Sometimes these threads turn into "Chevy/Ford/Dodge truck loyalist reports", making it difficult to extract accurate information from opinions.....FWIW.....Cliff

PS: I will say that the Echo 510 wins in one catagory, it will cut more firewood per gallon of fuel than anything else in our line-up. It might take a bit longer to get-er-done, but saving money is a concern these days, fuel ain't cheap!

Well said.

Thankfully, we all have varying opinions or we would all be the same. Each person likes to feel good about their purchase and not everyone can afford the best of everything. Matter of fact, I do not know many people who truly have the best of everything, and if they did, someone would be sure to bash them just because they thought they had the best!
:buttkick:

Thanks. I can relate well to not being able to afford the best of everything.....but I still want it!!

Seriously, I get by fine with what I have, and am content with most of it. I do favor my fast cutting Husqvarna models, but the Echo's still serve me quite well, and I continue to recomend them to others, and try to post usable/accurate information about them.......Cliff

While I love my Husky I worked cleaning up some tornado damage several years ago with a CS-4400. Ran the saw ten hours a day, 6 days a week for two months straight without a hiccup. While Husky's and Stihl's may feel and be better quality, I don't know that the difference in price is proportional to the difference in quality IMHO.

Don't know why anyone would want an Echo. My brother ran over my CS-346 with a little 10,000 lb tractor and it broke the handles. Cost me $35 to buy a parts saw to replace them, and sure it still runs great, but I'm thinking a "good" saw would have tipped that tractor right over. Same sort of problems with the CS-670. It starts easily and I am impressed with it every time that I run it. I have to put it away for a while and read threads about what a dog it is, to remind me how stupid I have been, thinking that this is a really great saw.

I'll bet that if you are stupid enough to buy an echo saw, that you will be stupid and very happy, just like me.

Don't know why anyone would want an Echo. My brother ran over my CS-346 with a little 10,000 lb tractor and it broke the handles. Cost me $35 to buy a parts saw to replace them, and sure it still runs great, but I'm thinking a "good" saw would have tipped that tractor right over. Same sort of problems with the CS-670. It starts easily and I am impressed with it every time that I run it. I have to put it away for a while and read threads about what a dog it is, to remind me how stupid I have been, thinking that this is a really great saw.

I'll bet that if you are stupid enough to buy an echo saw, that you will be stupid and very happy, just like me.

Hey Gitwood, wanna ride to school with me? My bus is REALLY short. :wave:

Hows $750 for a 35cc top handle echo sound? That's what they cost in this part of the world. For 750 bucks I don't want a Made in Japan vibrating, flexy, cheap feeling POS, they're bad for your health. I'm on the saw all day every day but hey, I'm not in the least bit worried as to what anyone else thinks about echo chainsaws, if people like echos good luck to them! When someone turns up to work with an echo, you know they're on the bones of their ass, ha-ha no mercy given either, BTW Stihl and husky chainsaws ain't anywhere near perfect either, but please show me something better, I'm itching to relegate stihls and huskys to my 'gutless junk' list...

Thanks. I can relate well to not being able to afford the best of everything.....but I still want it!!

Seriously, I get by fine with what I have, and am content with most of it. I do favor my fast cutting Husqvarna models, but the Echo's still serve me quite well, and I continue to recommend them to others, and try to post usable/accurate information about them.......Cliff

Cliff R--- I believe that you are right on the comment about us all wanting the best, but funding might be a problem....

There's always going to be the big debate on what's best until the end of the world's time as we know it. As time is winding down, the big discussion is going to be whose nuclear warhead is the most powerful, vibrates less, costs more, flies faster, has better dealers, offers the best customer support, has the best warranty, (lifetime -which will be short) and I'm sure we could come up with many more.

That said just to reinforce that every saw has a purpose. Some are made for the pro to use daily for years, some made for the guy who gets one for his birthday and it sits on the shelf for years before he uses it. (Or loans it to a friend who runs straight gas in it...) Each of those scenarios represents a value that is hard to quantify.

Now if the debate was just about those who made their living with a saw, the discussion may be different.....

My Echo CS-400

I own a Stihl 041 Farm Boss and recently purchased an Echo CS-400 for lighter duties. The 041 is about 30 +/- years old (it was my Dad's saw, he got it from my grandfather.) It's amazing how far saws have come! :)

The CS-400 (18" bar) is a great light-duty saw. It starts with one pull, is lightweight, and if you purchase new, has a 5yr homeowner warranty. For $300, I can't think of a better saw to buy new right now.

The fuel economy is amazing. I'm still going to use the Stihl for the big cutting jobs, but I like this little saw!

Last edited:
For $300, I can't think of a better saw to buy new right now.

:popcorn:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yLVVggyGF1o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yLVVggyGF1o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have a new 20" GB ProTop bar you can have if you want it, just for saying nice things about Echo's. Send me PM.

Just wanted to let everyone know pastryguy is a man of his word! Received a brand new 20" GB bar today. Nice, nice stuff. I'm going to head down to my buddies saw shop this weekend and pick me up a couple new chains. I'll have him retune it too since it's had about nine or ten tanks through it now.

Thanks pastryguy. :clap: :) I'll post some pics this weekend.

which echo saw

Hi, I read a few of the early posts and just jumped down here. I run almost all echo in my tree business. I have sold thousands of echo products many years ago. I feel the best small saws made are echo. The ease of starting is usually of great importance to women. The ease of starting is a big factor why I use the echo trim saws now. There are more powerful light weght brands. Anyway, you cannot go wrong with an echo from 30cc to 40cc.

Good luck
echoman

I will just do a little up date on a CS 670 that I performed a major rebuild on this past spring and it is still going strong and approaching its 1000 hours running period. It was back only once to have a chain oiling problem looked at and that was dirt caught in one of the fittings,nothing you could fault the saw for.Its being used for bucking up hardwood on a daily basis and the owner keeps a close tally of hours and fuel & oil consumption. It runs alongside Stihl MS440`s and although a little slower in cutoff times it plugs along day in and out without complaint and actually uses less fuel than the higher revving Stihl`s. Just thought some readers would find some interest in this update.
Pioneerguy600

I will just do a little up date on a CS 670 that I performed a major rebuild on this past spring and it is still going strong and approaching its 1000 hours running period. It was back only once to have a chain oiling problem looked at and that was dirt caught in one of the fittings,nothing you could fault the saw for.Its being used for bucking up hardwood on a daily basis and the owner keeps a close tally of hours and fuel & oil consumption. It runs alongside Stihl MS440`s and although a little slower in cutoff times it plugs along day in and out without complaint and actually uses less fuel than the higher revving Stihl`s. Just thought some readers would find some interest in this update.
Pioneerguy600

That's good to hear Jerry. I know several that have good luck with Echos.

Hows $750 for a 35cc top handle echo sound? That's what they cost in this part of the world. For 750 bucks I don't want a Made in Japan vibrating, flexy, cheap feeling POS, they're bad for your health. I'm on the saw all day every day but hey, I'm not in the least bit worried as to what anyone else thinks about echo chainsaws, if people like echos good luck to them! When someone turns up to work with an echo, you know they're on the bones of their ass, ha-ha no mercy given either, BTW Stihl and husky chainsaws ain't anywhere near perfect either, but please show me something better, I'm itching to relegate stihls and huskys to my 'gutless junk' list...

Dont fault the brand because it is heavily marked up and taxed in your part of the world...

Move the the USA and you can get the same saw for probably half or less than half.

Heck, a CS-370 is about 250 dollars..CS-400 is about 290-300.

I just happened to put up both an Echo cs-400 with lots of extras and a Stihl MS 260 Pro on ebay tonight. Nothing wrong with either saw, I just have too many smaller saws and have an itch for a new MS 361. The Echo which I am fond of is like new, I have only sawed one log up with it as a test and of course it performed like a champ. I have the cs-400 priced at $299 with an extra 16" bar and six new chains along with the 18" bar and chain it came with, there is also a spare new drive sprocket/clutch drum with needle bearing that goes with it. The Stihl is a used saw with excellent compression, looking through the exhaust port it appears to have perfect scratch free piston and cylinder walls and almost no carbon on the piston crown. The Stihl wears a brand new 16" bar. .325" pitch chain and a new drive sprocket. The saw starts easy with the compression release, idles, revs up fine. Sorry for all the details but I have a buy it now of $399 and I have seen them go for over $400 many times. Both saws weigh about the same at just over 10 lbs. for the powerhead.

I have been using echo's for the past 8 years. Never had a major problems. I have two that i inherited from my grandfathers, so they've been put to the test and have held up good (500 and 550). I also have 2 of the 330t, and a 440 love them for limbing. I think there a good saw for the money.

Back