What are the best chain saw chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Labonville has starting their own internet forum. If you visit it, you can get a code for 20% off all orders through March 30 I believe.

Bob R

I wear everything but chaps helmet,gloves,glasses,and ear plugs but hanging in a tree all day i have more of a risk for cutting my upper body and my saw i nowhere near my legs i guess if i cut on the ground i would wear chaps. Nothing like a chain saw wide open 6 inches from your throat

Thanks guys. I've been wearin' my hardhat, ear protection and safety glasses as it is no different than on my jobsite. It's mandatory there but you get used to the protection level. So it's no different in the mountains for me. Besides the pictures of what happened to Brad S. made me think about my safety.
The place we cut at is only 10 miles from town, but there is no medical facilities there, you'de have to go on in to the city, another 15 miles. Oh yeah the 10 mile stretch takes at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours as it is a portion of the Las Vegas to Reno off road race course. A fella could bleed to death before he made town.
So I just purchased a pair of the Labonville full wraps from Bailey's. They had just gave me a free shipping code so I put it to good use.

Well, I have the Stihl ones, but would consider the Labonville ones too. The Stihl ones are pretty loud, being orange and all.

Never did wear them before, and I never have had a close accident with a saw or anything either, guess just got a little older and wiser I suppose..

I feel kinda wierd all decked out in chaps though, but am getting used to them.

Let me jump in here even though I'm kinda late. The OP said "BEST Chaps". Well; I did a lot of research before buying ELVEX. Probably the best Saw Chap for the buck. They rip up just like the others do when a chain strikes them, but It's cheaper than an ER visit.

I have the Jonsered 600 denier and really like them. You can also get the Husqvarna in 1,000 denier as well. The lower denier the lighter. The 600 would be good for summer and the 1,000 for winter.

It's simply - Anyone who uses a chainsaw should wear chaps. It's common sense. You use a fork and spoon to eat. You wipe your butt with toilet paper. You wear a jacket outside in the winter. You can wear headphones but not so loud as to damage your ears. You run a chainsaw, you protect your body with chaps.

It should be that anyone who gets hurt, not wearing chaps, has to pay for their own medical bills. I'd support the same bill for the idiots in a car accident with no seat belt, the dopes on a motorcycle with no helmet...

EVERYONE says "It ain't gonna happen to me", cause after all, there isn't a member on this site who's got the balls big enough to say "hey watch this!" and take a running saw and jam it into their upper leg. But it happens, on a daily basis, and much of the damage could be completely avoided.

Just do a search on here for "got bit today" or "ate it today" or "warning gross photos attached"...

Go get a pair of chaps, put them on, spend the 10 minutes to adjust the straps so they are comfortable, the more you wear them, the more they flex and you won't walk around like the tin man so much.. Becomes second nature..

It's simply - Anyone who uses a chainsaw should wear chaps. It's common sense. You use a fork and spoon to eat. You wipe your butt with toilet paper. You wear a jacket outside in the winter. You can wear headphones but not so loud as to damage your ears. You run a chainsaw, you protect your body with chaps.

It should be that anyone who gets hurt, not wearing chaps, has to pay for their own medical bills. I'd support the same bill for the idiots in a car accident with no seat belt, the dopes on a motorcycle with no helmet...

EVERYONE says "It ain't gonna happen to me", cause after all, there isn't a member on this site who's got the balls big enough to say "hey watch this!" and take a running saw and jam it into their upper leg. But it happens, on a daily basis, and much of the damage could be completely avoided.

Just do a search on here for "got bit today" or "ate it today" or "warning gross photos attached"...

Go get a pair of chaps, put them on, spend the 10 minutes to adjust the straps so they are comfortable, the more you wear them, the more they flex and you won't walk around like the tin man so much.. Becomes second nature..

You could get shot hunting too but who wears a bulletproof vest??

Last edited:
I've worn Husky Blue one's, Labonville and Stihl chaps. I used the Husky Blue chaps twice with a modded 660 across the left thigh, didn't even cut my jeans. The Labonville and Stihl chaps feel or seem tougher, but I could careless which ones, I had on, or if someone gave them to me as a gift. After a certain level of quality, which those three and others are above, the chaps are good enough and will save your body from a very bad and expensive meeting with sharp metal.

I don't always wear them for around the house stuff, but when I'm logging/cutting for production, I always wear them, I feel naked without them. None of my guys or myself would ever go cut trees without them on, it just isn't real smart, as when you are pushing for production things can happen.

Sam

I like my Labonville chaps and after seeing how well they stopped my friends leg from getting cut with a MS 460... I witnessed how effective they are. Still had a couple layers of kevlar left and no damage to his body, killed that saw quickly he said. I was cutting a distance away and only got to see him come hobbling towards me the with a saw snarled up and stuck to his leg.

Sometimes, I wander if they would really stop a hotly ported big woods saw, like say a 372xpw and above........

Sometimes, I wander if they would really stop a hotly ported big woods saw, like say a 372xpw and above........

The Husky Blue's that I had on stopped a modded 660 twice on the same left thigh ..... same chaps same place. Each time it took 20 minutes or more to clean all of the fiber out of the clutch, bearings, crank, bar, chain and clutch cover, it was every where and you couldn't cut it.

Sam

The Husky Blue's that I had on stopped a modded 660 twice on the same left thigh ..... same chaps same place. Each time it took 20 minutes or more to clean all of the fiber out of the clutch, bearings, crank, bar, chain and clutch cover, it was every where and you couldn't cut it.

Sam

Yeah, same saw brought to lock-up by the Labonville wrap chaps, in the same place. Same time spent clearing the saw. Same time also spent changing my undies. Any of the premium chaps will do the job.

Back