What are the best chain saw chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
same here i can't climb good with them on but if i'm on the ground i'll put a pair on incase the saw kicks back or something.

I wear them on the ground too ... anybody wear them climbing? If not why not? I have a couple times on removals while wearing spurs because they added padding to my velcro wraps and made it more comfortable. Seems like the bigger danger while climbing is arms and chest not legs. Thoughts?

Seems like the bigger danger while climbing is arms and chest not legs. Thoughts?

Arms/chest/face are more at risk in a tree than your legs, usually. But that doesn't mean theres no risk to your legs, and its not exactly a hard risk to minimise

I'd appreciate some information on the following chaps. I haven't included all of the written info, but hopefully the important info:

Orange color
SNAKE BITE PROOF on right leg
CHAINSAW RESISTANT on left leg
A.P.A. 92-A-12 Class A, 11BF
tag Made in the USA
tag Made with KEVLAR Brand Fiber Du Pont
tag Bailey's Safety Division
tag 1000 Denier, 100% Cordura Nylon, Urethane coated wind and rain repllent, 2 ply woven Kevlar, 1 ply needle felt Kevlar, 1 ply lining: 65% CTN, 35% POLY.

I'd appreciate some information on the following chaps. I haven't included all of the written info, but hopefully the important info:

Orange color
SNAKE BITE PROOF on right leg
CHAINSAW RESISTANT on left leg
A.P.A. 92-A-12 Class A, 11BF
tag Made in the USA
tag Made with KEVLAR Brand Fiber Du Pont
tag Bailey's Safety Division
tag 1000 Denier, 100% Cordura Nylon, Urethane coated wind and rain repllent, 2 ply woven Kevlar, 1 ply needle felt Kevlar, 1 ply lining: 65% CTN, 35% POLY.

So one legs chainsaw resistant and the others snake-proof? what happens when a snake sneaks up on your left side and bites you? You might accidentally hit your right leg with your saw

It looks as if they are 3-ply chaps, personally I'd look for something with another layer or two

So one legs chainsaw resistant and the others snake-proof? what happens when a snake sneaks up on your left side and bites you? You might accidentally hit your right leg with your saw

It looks as if they are 3-ply chaps, personally I'd look for something with another layer or two

:laugh: :bang:

Chris,

I'll trade ya my Husqvarna chaps.. The 3-ply would work for me.. I don't have any saws with chain speed fast enough to go through the 1st layer, without a reaction from the user... nevermind THREE layers!! :laugh:

:jester:

J

I always was curious why the least experienced with a chainsaw would be cutting in shorts/flip flops and a Tee shirt and the most experienced would be wearing chaps/helmet and boots. Then I ran across this statistic:

The average chain-saw injury required 110 stitches and cost $5,600 for medical care and time off according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

So now on clean up projects I also wear my bright orange Husqvarna chaps (with one patched cut in the right leg)/helmet and boots as I'm cutting with the guy in shorts/Tee shirt and flip flops. The chaps are hot, especially in the Alabama summers, but it just makes me look like I'm doing more work.

I have a novice type question regarding chaps. And yes, I do have some and wear them.

Do the chaps twirl around your leg if the saw hits them? It's always made me a little nervous that even wearing them I could end up with the saw gnawing my leg because the chaps spun around, leaving my leg exposed.

I have a novice type question regarding chaps. And yes, I do have some and wear them.

Do the chaps twirl around your leg if the saw hits them? It's always made me a little nervous that even wearing them I could end up with the saw gnawing my leg because the chaps spun around, leaving my leg exposed.

No, they should stay put providing they are worn properly (buckles done up and not too loose)
Chaps are designed to jam the chain on contact so they shouldn't even have a chance to twist.

Halfway through this video it shows a pair of chaps getting hit
Chainsaw Leg Protection - YouTube

Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking they seem to be 'minimal' chaps, but since I bought 'em I'll use 'em. Maybe I'll get my wife to sew some chainmail or something similar to the front of 'em ;) :laugh:, or I'll take Jay up on his offer :msp_thumbup:.

Related to this, what about the inserts? Will the Labonville inserts/pants combo twirl around your leg? They're inserted into loose fitting work pants, after all. That goes for the Madsens pants too. Any personal experience out there?

Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking they seem to be 'minimal' chaps, but since I bought 'em I'll use 'em. Maybe I'll get my wife to sew some chainmail or something similar to the front of 'em ;) :laugh:, or I'll take Jay up on his offer :msp_thumbup:.

ANY chap is better than NONE!!

Heck, I've seen guys in HOT weather with SHORTS AND chaps on... that's SMARTER than JUST a pair of pants, that's for sure... I bet it's cooler, and WAY safer than just pants...

but, I prefer logger pants AND chaps, and COOL weather! lol!!

Jay

Heck, I've seen guys in HOT weather with SHORTS AND chaps on... that's SMARTER than JUST a pair of pants, that's for sure... I bet it's cooler, and WAY safer than just pants...

Thats the way to do it in the summer!

Stihl 4200 summer pants. All year every year. Nothin else compares. I've used em all and no other brand comes close.

but, I prefer logger pants AND chaps, and COOL weather! lol!!

Jay

I think there's a guy in Canada who wears nothing under his chaps :eek:, and has posted photos to prove it :laugh:.

I think there's a guy in Canada who wears nothing under his chaps :eek:, and has posted photos to prove it :laugh:.

I call bs on that one, photo was staged.

Why?

Mosquitos
Ticks
Horseflies
Moose flies
Deer flies
Black flies
No-see-ums
Gnats
Hornets
Black wasps

I am intimately familiar with everyone of those godforsaken critters having worked in northern Maine. Now imagine topping off a spruce that has a black wasp nest in the cut ... you turn and run ... they are attracted to body heat ... warmest part are your 'nads ...

Always bears repeating:
View attachment 244605
While we're talking chaps, let's not forget good boots (by far the biggest risk)! And a left hand glove (for righties) isn't a horrible idea either (greater risk than your legs). I wish they would make a better glove though.

I haven't used chaps or boots until this year (and still don't have a glove), but this year was the year to grow up and demonstrate a little wisdom for my 5 kids (Labonville comp. chaps/Viking Timberwolf boots/Rockman Forestry helmet). Need to find some old chaps and make myself a glove (or find somebody that makes what I want).

Back