What are the most oddball things you have found inside old trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have hit alot of things over the years but cut a racoon in half yesturday in a big hollow sugar maple the 084 made quick work of the poor guy.

Was bucking poplar for the mill and cut a log and there was blood everywhere. Turns out I had hit a nest of squirrels, they were young and without any hair. To the best of my knowledge I never loaded it and it just rotted away. I have also hit bees/wasps, found the putrid water in the hollow and hit nails, fence, horseshoes, etc. My only encounter with a snake was following Hurricane Fran in 1996, an oak tree had dropped across the bottom of my driveway. Went back to the house and got a saw to and was limbing it up. My wife hollered and I found a 2' copperhead about a foot from me on top of the log.

I've hit plenty of bullets. Those things kill a chain pretty quick.

I cut an accordioned piece of aluminum out of a tree once, as well. We figure it was part of a rotor assembly from an old helicopter crash.

I've also been puked on a few times pulling the extractor out of the increment borer in big, broken-topped OG trees. They rot from the inside out and the whole tree becomes a standing column of nastiness. Now't I mention it, I'm about due for another of those delightful experiences.

I've hit plenty of bullets. Those things kill a chain pretty quick.

I cut an accordioned piece of aluminum out of a tree once, as well. We figure it was part of a rotor assembly from an old helicopter crash.

I've also been puked on a few times pulling the extractor out of the increment borer in big, broken-topped OG trees. They rot from the inside out and the whole tree becomes a standing column of nastiness. Now't I mention it, I'm about due for another of those delightful experiences.

Better stand to the side when ya pull er out! A forester I worked with salvaged high grade birch on Elmandorf. Wreaked havoc with his band mill.

Pi$$ fir is a pain too for gushing out so I've been told. I know that crap stinks. Had a bunch on a landing one time. Not a fallers favorite tree.

I've found rocks in trees, wire, hemp rope, golf balls, whiffle balls, but not a lot of any of it. No destroyed chains anyway.

I'm sure I'll get it bad one day though. I remember when I was a kid, about 7 or 8, I sat there one day in the front yard and pounded several DOZEN nails into the trunk of the sycamore in our front yard, about 3' high in the trunk. My parents still live there and the nails are long grown over. Many, many years from now, someone will ruin several chains.

At a very early age I was explained what would happen if I nailed crap into trees. That's the one thing I did mind on haha

Now every time I'm drivin and see a fence nailed into a live tree I just cringe.

I have hit nails,fence wire,bolts,bees. I worked at a pallet mill years ago they got a lot of wood from a National Guard base. The bullets took out a lot of teeth on the 36" blades there were 100+ teeth stuck in the ceiling over that saw.
M daughter took out a nest of baby rabbits with a lawn mower does that count?

Cut through a black snake one time. It was in a hollowed out yellow locust. It was around 5 an a half feet long. Cut into lots of wasps and ants.

found some horse shoes in the roots of a sycamore and 10 ft up there was a chain hit the thing about 4 times.
also came accross some cement inside an apple tree about 5ft of it. i was felling in a garden, apparentaly they used to do this years ago.
my boss hit a startermotor from an old car, also some coal tongs about 30ft up a beech tree.

Man -- that reminded me, I took down a scrap of an old English walnut that someone had filled with mortar. Wrecked two chains before I figured out was going on!

One terra cotta pot, luckily I was just cutting the stump lower after making yet another nipple high stump...

Did find of chunk of 5/16 ish cable at about roughly 6" diameter, knee high in a 40" doug fir yard tree, 26 ton wood splitter did manage to break it free though...(I missed it with the saw) I think my partner still has it in his front yard...

Strangest thing ive come across was a butter knife lodged in some sycamore :confused2:

And then theres these pesky things:

402981_232659250197980_783727942_n-1.jpg

found this brace when cutting up an elm that had fallen. Was about 10 feet from the base of the tree. Probably left by a deer hunter for screw-in climbing steps (in an area posted "No Hunting")

Attachments

• elm log embracing a brace 1.jpg
    elm log embracing a brace 1.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 60
I dropped a thirty inch aspen snag the other day. Started blocking it up to fill a rut and a big ol fat coon game rumbling out of the other end. Thing could barely run as it had been hibernating and it was 10 below.

122.JPG
No open holes but the eggs were loose and rolled out after the cut. One had piece of taffy inside, I was hope'n for a
$ 100 bill.122.JPG

A box of silver coins from the 30's.

The silver made a really cool blueish vein in the tree. I guess it must have leeched into the soil since it was buried under the tree.

sent using logic and reason from a device forged of witchcraft.

Back