what are the odds of ever seeing this again?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I really wish I would have taken this picture 7 or so years ago when I cut this round. Back then you could really see the copper jacket.

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

Funny how it wound up right in the center of the tree. And then that I cut it right down the middle with the saw!

So what's the strangest thing you've ever found in a piece of firewood?

I really wish I would have taken this picture 7 or so years ago when I cut this round. Back then you could really see the copper jacket.

Funny how it wound up right in the center of the tree. And then that I cut it right down the middle with the saw!

I helped build a barn in the 70's in Tidewater VA using wood cut from trees from the Fort Eustis firing range. We saw many rounds of different types in the lumber, but none as impressive as your discovery, especially the cutting part. Nice post!

about 7 years ago I was given 2 oak logs. The biggest was 16 foot X 68 inches which I cut into boards. About 2/3 into the center I cut through a bullet like you have here with my swing mill.I wish I would have taken a pic but did not.Over the years I have found plenty of nails.fence,porcelain insulators and other metal parts.Actually found a car generator that had been covered over in the fork of a tree.

Actually the odds must be better than you think!image.jpgimage.jpg I found this about 4 years ago pretty close to the middle of a large rock oak round. When I rolled the round over the lead was so shiny it looked like a light coming from the wood. This tree was cut in the middle of nowhere about 50 yards off of a dirt road.

I've found a few splitting rounds. In oak it usually leave a good purple/blue stain through the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother cut up a tree and found the same thing

Actually the odds must be better than you think!View attachment 403524View attachment 403525 I found this about 4 years ago pretty close to the middle of a large rock oak round. When I rolled the round over the lead was so shiny it looked like a light coming from the wood. This tree was cut in the middle of nowhere about 50 yards off of a dirt road.

Yours mushroomed, I always thought it was odd that mine hadn't. I'm guessing it had travelled a long ways and lost most of its energy before hitting the tree. The tree must have been much smaller at the time which is how it wound up so deep.

found a hidden surprise inside some bur oak. it was from a buddys yard. likely his parents nailed this up years before.
DSCN0303_zpsee70683c.jpg

DSCN0304_zps44b79fbf.jpg
DSCN0311_zps3f4d9ed3.jpg

10 months later i found another part of it. perhaps from a different tree. this time i didn't hit it with the saw i found it in the ashes. i'm thinking it could have been for a clothesline maybe??
DSCN0424_zps850f8566.jpg

DSCN0423_zpsf173afc0.jpg

These were all stuck together in a single split from a yard tree. Glad I missed them with the saw.
View attachment 403423
Hit this one dead on. Probably cost me 1/4 life of the chain but that's not too bad.
View attachment 403426
now THAT would have caused some major damage,,esp if you were at full throttle..first pic!!

If that was on different tree's, I'd say that it was part of a gym set, the kinda bars that they swing around on and those were the mounts.

As for hitting bullets, it's not a big deal cause the lead is soft, the copper jacket if equipped is fairly soft but if someone was firing military steel cores, that'll mess up a chain bad....

Back