What are the qualities that you love about your go to brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moody
M

moody

I love Husqvarna/Jonsreds weight and power. I'm not a fan of Stihl air filter system isn't all that great and they feel like I'm packing a small child. People talk about quality but in all honesty it's the Ford vs. Chevy arguement they both have pro's and con's. Neither is a bad brand and some of us in the world find the prices leading us to Poulan, Homelite and so on and so forth. So what causes you to keep going back to a brand what forced you to switch brands? :cheers:

Whitespider
Stihl... mostly because the dealer just 'round the bend and across the river is a darn good one, and secondly because I've never had a Stihl lay-down on me.
Over the years we've done business both ways with each other and there's a certain mutual professional respect... him in the recreational and outdoor power equipment line(s), and me well over twenty years in automotive (Ford). In a way we've both had the same types of PITA customers, and had to work through the same types of POS stuff handed to us by the manufactures... we understand each other, and sacrifices it takes to keep the doors open every day. There ain't no BS between us, just straight talk... as long as he's in business and sellin' Stihl brand, I'll be a Stihl guy.

moody
M

moody

Because no one has them.....and they rip a$$!

I've ran the 420, 5105, 6400, 7900 they were decent saws they balanced really well. But my 346 out cuts the 5105 and fits me a little better. 7900 cut pretty well but we ran a 2172 next to it and it wouldn't keep up.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
My brand is cheap used homeowner saws. I like them because they're cheap and they work. It pretty much means I don't have any Stihls because they cost too much.

ancy

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've ran the 420, 5105, 6400, 7900 they were decent saws they balanced really well. But my 346 out cuts the 5105 and fits me a little better. 7900 cut pretty well but we ran a 2172 next to it and it wouldn't keep up.

You must of had some chitty chains on those Dolmars!

o8f150

o8f150

Tree Freak
i have owned and run every band,,well almost,,, and i settled on huskies,, i like the way the feel and run,, as far as a limbing saws you can't beat an echo 370 or 400 with a 14" b/c

stihl023/5

stihl023/5

Addicted to ArboristSite
i have owned and run every band,,well almost,,, and i settled on huskies,, i like the way the feel and run,, as far as a limbing saws you can't beat an echo 370 or 400 with a 14" b/c

Exactly light and quick however I have used them on some big tasks and they didnt slow down.:msp_thumbsup:

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
It's a Ford vs. Chevy thing

Family has gone thru several brands of saw's and power equipment but for the last 20 to 25 years its been Stihl

Dealer is a huge thing for me; I just changed dealer even thu the one I was using is 2 minutes from the house and the one I'm using now is a 45 minute drive.

There nothing like ordering a part from the owner of a shop and having him getting the wrong part twice and only getting parts once a week at the shop I use to use LOL

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
I prefer stihl and the #1 reason is the dealers around here are stihl. I also like the dependability that comes with the PRO stihl saws, the rear handle is shaped perfectly for my right hand, the ignition/choke control on one control is sweet, inboard clutch, and last but not least I actually LIKE the flippy caps...:msp_tongue:

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I like the spring av and the smooth power of the huskies. I had run stihl 044 and a ported 460 as my first pro saws. I bought a 372 xpw and then a dolmar 7900 and the stihls left quickly after that. I can't say the stihls were bad but I had to replace more little things on them than I have all the huskies combined. I hate flippy caps. The ones on the 460 leaked horrible after they introduced ethanol to most of our gas in the mid 2000s. Flippy caps and the lack of spring av have run me away from stihl. I have a great stihl dealer close by and a decent husky dealer but I will mail order parts before I run stihls again.

Fumducker

Fumducker

ArboristSite Member
I prefer Husqvarna. The design of both the pro and non pro models are so mmuch easier to work on. That and the weight. I've never been atracted to echo but I love the look of the stihls. Some day I hope to find one that fits me and my needs that husky doesn't do better.

saxman

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
In my area I have a very good Stihl dealer that provides great support should I ever need it and has a good supply of chains,bars,etc. Husky, Dolmar, and the others have little or no representation in my area, I wish they did, I would at least like to look at them in person. Also, it's been my casual observation that at farm sales and listings on Craig's list that Stihl saws seem to retain more of their purchase price than some of he other brands. It is nice to know that should I ever need to sell my saws I have a better chance to get a larger percentage of my money back. I am not bashing any other brands just trying to explain why Stihl works best for me. Flame away!

eat a peach

eat a peach

ArboristSite Operative
stihl AND husky

I also love the weight and response of a husky. I have to say though in my experience stihl's seem to never lose their tune. I an always count on them to start,and be there to the end. My huskys have better power,balance and throttle response.,but I never leave home without a few trusty stihls. They have never let me down. Not as flashy,or fun to run but dependable is an understatement.

I like the way Huskys balance and perform, they just fit. My dad has a comparable stable of stihls to match my Huskys, ie. 260, 361, and 460, so ive had my chance to compare. The fact i can buy OEM, or if need be, aftermarket parts from many a vendor is nice also. The spare parts i have amassed have been very easy to come by. Fuel lines, on-off switches, air and fuel filters, rim sprockets, washers, E-clips, oil-fuel caps and so on. About every bar maker has a small and large Husky mount in their selection.

hoeyrd2110

hoeyrd2110

ArboristSite Guru
well i work at one of the local dealers and have friends at all of them so support is no issue on any brand. never had the $$ for the stihls plus comparably they have always seemed heavy. although if i found a nice 026 i'd jump on it i have some strange attraction to that saw. husky's just never felt right in my hands not that they don't run their buts off just different feeling. i like my older saws personally. i like my torque since i'm not racing i like being able to pop a big bar on a saw and have at it and not have to worry about it working too hard or burning it up. plus i think the older saws were so much better put together ample finger room to get nuts started and no hidden gas tank vents! all that simple stuff goes a long way with me. plus guys around here give there saws away for almost nothing if it don't say stihl or husky on it. most of my saws are older than me (23) so by the time they hit me there just getting broken in:msp_tongue:.

it's a tie for me between the old echos and old poulans

EDIT: Echo for me never let me down, and parts are a breeze

Last edited:

Latest posts