What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just finished this desk made of birch that I milled a few years ago.
IMGP0997-1.jpg

Man,

wish I had the knowledge and tools to build these things.

I have some wild Sun-speckled Sycamore, and I'm sure some real cool stuff That is yet to be opened.

Very nice work there Motor City MadMan!

sled shed progress

I didn't finish the shed with my own lumber. :(

Here's the end of the line for pine I milled myself. Between a new job, my wife being busy with work, a smoked clutch on the chainsaw, and trying to take care of my two young boys, something had to give.

Ended up running up the road to New England Forest Products for a bunch of hemlock and/or pine to finish the job.

shedoutoflumber.jpg

I used my own lumber for the back wall. Can you tell? :)

backofshed.jpg

shedbackwall.jpg

The window hole framed out (I really should knock down that sat. dish, since I haven't used it in nearly two years).

shedwindowside.jpg

Here it is with more of the walls together.

shedatnight.jpg

Shed is actually done now (more or less, there's always something to add or improve), but I don't have pictures of the final product. Maybe next week I'll get out and snap a few.

The milling experiment proved I need a bit more preparation time, a lot of drying time, and burned up my little table saw (since replaced with a very used Rockwell that has more power, but still not enough to rip long lengths of green lumber). I have plans for my CSM Mk 1.5 or 2 to get done in the next month or so, and then we'll head back to the fallen pines and make some lumber for the next project (whatever that will be!).

Thanks for all the support!

Nice work guys. Stony, I love the desk - it looks warmer than I thought Birch would be - what finish did you use?

clear laquer sealer, then 3 coats of laquer, sanded with 400 inbetween coats. Then I sanded the final coat with 600 and then rubbed the entire piece out with 0000 steel wool. Gives it a super smooth, deep warm look. No stain either, all natural.
THANKS!

little project me and my father have been working on.
IMG_6272.jpg

a new sugar house for our maple syrup boiler. 16x16 timber frame.

all the wood was milled by us, except plywood of course. got about 3/4 of the siding done this weekend. (3/4" chainsaw milled siding, random width from 6" to 15") working weekends only so it's taking a little while.

IMG_6288.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work foursaps. I like the landscape around the sugar shanty. Very nice work. That is a beautiful desk by stonykill. Nice work all around.

Copper Tox post treatment rig

So, here is the rig to treat the posts.

attachment.php

These are the longest ones (at 16 and 17 feet) for a big arbor. The shorter ones will be much easier.

attachment.php

I used a pulley in the tree to hoist the posts into the barrel. I cheated by using the Dingo. Then I tied the posts to the tree branch for stability.

attachment.php

Looks great, huh? It's a 55 gallon drum. In order to treat 3 feet up the posts (2- 6"X6"), I would have needed 45+ gallons of chemical (at $15 / gallon). This way I didn't have to use as much chemical to get the same effect. I only used 5 gallons. I started with a 55 gallon drum, then put a thick poly pond liner in it, then the posts, then filled in the gaps on the oustide of the liner to push the liner as close to the posts as possible. Then I wrapped it all to keep rain water out. I will leave it over the weekend, then remove the posts on Monday. They should be good to go.... and resist fungus, rot, and insect pests, etc...

Last edited:
Following up on the douglas fir glue-down floor......

After several coats of poly.
attachment.php

Considering the boards didn't have much figure, I thought the grain popped out out quite nicely. No, the joints aren't as tight as store-bought flooring, but I'm fine with it. The relieved edges camouflage the imperfections.
attachment.php

Back