What are you building with your milled wood? merged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMGP1165-1.jpg

all I didn't mill was the fingerboard, tho I did slot it. Ash body, maple neck. Rosewood fingerboard. 25 inch scale.

I really like it! Is the fingerboard rosewood?

Here is Oz we have some excellent fingerboard timbers, two that are relatively commonly used are Gidegee and Mulga.

Last edited:
I really like it! Is the fingerboard rosewood?

Here is Oz we have some excellent fingerboard timbers, two that are relatively commonly used are Gidegee and Mulga.
I bought the fingerboard blank about 5 years ago I think, and forgot I had it. My memeory told me I bought purpleheart, but it doesn't look like it to me. So I'm just calling it, what it sorta looks like. THANKS!

picture frame

i am quite the amateur wood worker, started cs milling last year and have only made one project though i have a list of others to do. this picture frame is yellow cedar (cypress). it blues when it starts to rot but i liked it for this frame. i've been milling 8 to 12 foot 2" and 4" by 20 to 36" wide clear yellow cedar and giving it to some people around here who carve first nations art, as well as stock piling it. (best air freshener ever)

i use a stihl 076, and a husky 2100 for top cuts.

the joints are made to resemble a type of first nations bent wood box from the northwest coast.
View attachment 174014View attachment 174015View attachment 174016

i am quite the amateur wood worker, started cs milling last year and have only made one project though i have a list of others to do. this picture frame is yellow cedar (cypress). it blues when it starts to rot but i liked it for this frame. i've been milling 8 to 12 foot 2" and 4" by 20 to 36" wide clear yellow cedar and giving it to some people around here who carve first nations art, as well as stock piling it. (best air freshener ever)

i use a stihl 076, and a husky 2100 for top cuts.

the joints are made to resemble a type of first nations bent wood box from the northwest coast.
View attachment 174014View attachment 174015View attachment 174016

174014-photo-37-jpg

Welcome aboard, looks like you have a new hobby.

jerry-

Okay I thought I'd share this. There is a chunk of milled wood in the post. There's also a piece of steel I welded up for support but the rest is Chocolate. I worked on this with a Pastry Chief. It was built to help raise money for children. It was kinda interesting to make.

betterbuilt-albums676-175697.jpg

betterbuilt-albums676-175696.jpg

Okay I thought I'd share this. There is a chunk of milled wood in the post. There's also a piece of steel I welded up for support but the rest is Chocolate. I worked on this with a Pastry Chief. It was built to help raise money for children. It was kinda interesting to make.

betterbuilt-albums676-175697.jpg

betterbuilt-albums676-175696.jpg

Now my wife and daughter would like this. Chocolate, very nice!

jerry-

Handcrafted walnut bracelets

Hi folks:

Here's my latest project, a limited edition of 24 solid walnut bracelets. I started a project on Kickstarter - you folks might liek to check it out for your own projects.

View attachment 178747View attachment 178746

More details are shown on my Kickstarter project page:

Handcrafted Black Walnut Bracelets by Christopher Garman — Kickstarter

If you'd like to drop by the site and leave a few comments, it would help me get the word out about my project.

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment!

There are 5 layers in total. The inners are soaked in cold water until pliable. When dry, they are glued up one per day, to give plenty of time to dry. The final layer is steamed gently because of the sapwood inclusions. Sapwood is much softer, so it's hard to bend that piece without breaking.

I have another photo on the Kickstarter site, listed under updates. I'd really appreciate some comments there, since it helps boost my visibility on the site.

This is the first time I've built something that wasn't a custom commission, so it should be an interesting project.

Thanks for the compliment!

There are 5 layers in total. The inners are soaked in cold water until pliable. When dry, they are glued up one per day, to give plenty of time to dry. The final layer is steamed gently because of the sapwood inclusions. Sapwood is much softer, so it's hard to bend that piece without breaking.

I have another photo on the Kickstarter site, listed under updates. I'd really appreciate some comments there, since it helps boost my visibility on the site.

This is the first time I've built something that wasn't a custom commission, so it should be an interesting project.

This is milled wood? wow. How thick are the layers?

Where does the money go if you don't hit your goal?

I was gonna sign up later tonite. I'll be sure to make a comment.

This is milled wood? wow. How thick are the layers?

Where does the money go if you don't hit your goal?

I was gonna sign up later tonite. I'll be sure to make a comment.

The layers are about 0.025" each - 5 of them. The one in the photo isn't made with lumber that I've milled, but I'll be trying it with mine soon. I have a ton of red oak, and some maple. The oak is really hard to bend that thin because of the grain structure, so I started with the walnut, which I purchased. I have ideas how to get my milled lumber down that thin (bandsaw, double stick tape, and a surface planer) but haven't tried it yet. Once I perfect that, it's on to some 150 year old American Chestnut...

If I don't make the goal, then nothing happens. The backers' funds are never withdrawn, and I get nothing. It's an all-or-nothing effort, which protects everyone.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Siding installed on both gable ends, minus stain and doors. It took a long time because of the height.

Siding is 1" douglas fir, random widths. Battens are 3" wide. Windows are merely screened, no budget for store-bought windows. Doors will eventually be made from 1" fir in simple rustic style.
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back