What are you using

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing. Never felt the need, or had the patience, to clean chains before sharpening them. Maybe my grinder wheels don't last quite as long as they might with sparkly clean chains, but seriously, who cares? Grinder wheels are cheap.

a grinder

I have found that wood chips and pitch on the chain don't considerably slow down an abrasive wheel made for grinding steel. :)

:agree2::agree2:

Maybe I've been lucky. Haven't noticed a single thing I've needed to "clean" off a chain.

Only sharpen about 40, or more, times a year and don't cut much pine.

Kerosene and compressed air. Chains are plenty clean for the bench grinder. I soak the chain in a container with lid and also shake it around some. I remove after a while, give it a good blast of air and hang it up to dry. The left over kerosene can be used to clean other chains and/or saw components. Then I put them in an autoclave and sterilize them. (just in case I cut myself)

I just use mineral spirits that you can buy at any paint store or home depot. let them soak hang them for a while and blow off with compresed air. chains will be dry and not plug up the grinding wheel.

Back