What are your firewood saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site! If you are a firewood cutter be sure to check out the "Scrounging Firewood" thread

Thanks for the heads up! I do cut up some firewood. I bought the 391 because I have been clearing back our family land after the older generation let it get overgrown and I've been knocking out some bigger trees more frequently. I would have loved to go onto the professional line but financially just wasn't feasible. I love reading what y'all have to say and look forward to learning more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up! I do cut up some firewood. I bought the 391 because I have been clearing back our family land after the older generation let it get overgrown and I've been knocking out some bigger trees more frequently. I would have loved to go onto the professional line but financially just wasn't feasible. I love reading what y'all have to say and look forward to learning more

Man I hear ya on the cost. I came close to buying a new 362 but ended up rolling the dice on an older pro saw. I did a lot of reading on here and made some upgrades to my saw based on this site- pretty cool to have all the info from these folks

Man I hear ya on the cost. I came close to buying a new 362 but ended up rolling the dice on an older pro saw. I did a lot of reading on here and made some upgrades to my saw based on this site- pretty cool to have all the info from these folks

If I had been on here before buying I probably would've done the same but I went in new. Live and learn but I have found a secret obsession for saws now!

every time i go out to the woods to cut firewood with my buddies i bring 3 saws... My dolmar ps-510, jonsered 2171, and the stihl 661. The dolmar gets used first until either the chain needs to be sharpened or it runs out of fuel. Then i grab the 2171 until it runs out of fuel or the chain needs to be sharpened. Then i haul out the 661 and for the bigger stuff that i wanna get done quickly (and see the looks on my buddies faces). If i had a jonsered 2153 instead of my overweight dolmar i'd use that 90% of the time.

I was cutting firewood before there was a AS or even desktop computers. I still run older model saws. I suspect that if there had been a AS way back then, some of my older stuff might still be running. I think the oldest saw I now own is a 96 model huskey 55. It belonged to my FIL, was abused by a couple of his nephews and sat in my basement, not running for about 20 or so years. This past summer, I pulled it out and replaced the PC with OEM, a carb rebuild, and a new carb partition and it runs like new. My last new saw is a 2005 Husky 55 I have never had to do anything to except for a new fuel line. I picked up another gassed 55 for free and replaced the top end and it runs like new. I have a l65 torn apart still looking for parts, I will put it back together one of these days, and a 365 I bought a few years ago because it was like new and a bargain price. I suspect unless I go into milling lumber, I have all the saws I will ever need, and currrently have more saws than I have ever owned, or needed, even back when I used to actually log timber. Saws will last a long time if taken care of. I can remember the old Homelites, Mccullochs, Pioneers and Sthil brands of saws we used to run back in the late 60's and 70's and I dont miss them one bit. I havent even tried any of the new saws you can buy now, but as long as I can keep what I have running, I dont really see any need to. I will stil grab up any 55's I can find as long as they are cheap and I have two more new oem top ends to fit those saws. And if I run across a blown 395 for cheap, I might pick that one up too. Other wise, I'll run what I have and dont think I will ever wear them out.

I found someone selling a ms270c used for $175 that I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. Do y'all mind asking if y'all think this is a fair deal? States it runs great but of course I'd have to see it for myself. Besides the bar being well worn it appears to be in decent shape in the small pictures.

I found someone selling a ms270c used for $175 that I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. Do y'all mind asking if y'all think this is a fair deal? States it runs great but of course I'd have to see it for myself. Besides the bar being well worn it appears to be in decent shape in the small pictures.

I agree with svk, fair price, but it may not oil a bar over 16" very well. Also the "c" may mean it has the tool less bar/chain adjuster which many don't prefer, but I have no personal experience with.
I'm going to the "woods"(lol)today with the 2165. But I'm sure others will get ran as well, just not certain which ones yet, time will tell. The neighbors haven't had the pleasure of hearing the ported 044 in a couple weeks so that might be fun ;).20160913_133846.jpg20160913_133856.jpg

Sometimes I really miss my 361. I bought a really nice one with a full wrap and big dawgs for $400 on Craigslist about 5 years ago. Almost brand new. Coulda scanned the barcode on the front. It sure was a nice saw. But either that one or dad's 036 had to go in order to fund an ms460. So, now I've got the 036, 460, and a 660 on the way. A good friend who never cuts any wood, but buys expensive things because someone told him to has a real nice 026 he bought new. Probably 4 hours on it. When he's ready, he'll pass it to me, and I'll have the 60 series covered. Then I'll have to find and 024, 034, 044, and 064 I suppose...
cf5fcdae788c997c947c716c1e92bdf5.jpg

216d65f2b2d96ee2d6c8431a5be30291.jpg
15e87194920337d2a2c6a8fc1976e7f4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My firewood saws (ashamed to say, all are ported) with builder and bar length:

260 (T Landrum)-16
346 (D Henry)-16
346 (S Kunz)-18
361 (T Landrum)-20
044-12mm (R Evans)-24
460 (B Snelling)-28
660 (R Evans)-36

I would say my 50cc saws do 80-90% of the work (depending on the tree) with the 260 carrying the most weight of that burden. I like to use the smallest saw I can to get the job done. Lately I have been limbing with a stihl 180 i traded for. I like using it in the heat, I have a little more endurance.

Really, I guess I need to wade in there. I never go in there because I never take pictures of my scrounge. I don't have a smart phone.

Doesn't matter. Scrounge wood...all good.

The best way to describe it is as a helix. It will blow out to the sides off topic every now and then but goes directly back to original topic of scrounging.

I find it very interesting to see other guys scores from different parts of the country. It's pretty cool. I think so any ways.

Back