What Bubba and I did this afternoon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manual said:
My bad deleated the wrong paragraph.
This is the one I ment to talk about. 4mm on each seems to be alot.
But as he said he is not that brave.
never talked about how he was taking measurements.

Quote from Red:
The intake and exauhst ports it is hard to tell I did do more than polish them. I found I could remove 3-4mm from the sides, about .120". I am not that brave, I took about .030" from each. I also could have raised the exauhst port and lowered the intake port 1mm, .040" I moved them around .010", very little!!!
The reasons I went this way, is the reaserch I have done shows move the ports up and down, you gain RPM, open them up side to side, more tourqe. I need tourqe from this saw, it has penty of RPM, but not the balls I wanted from it. Removing the base gasket upped the compression gaing a hair more HP as well.

Hey that's cool.

Yup 4mm on that saw does seem a little extreme....

OK kids!!!!!!!!!! Here is you're chance, learn from my mistakes, ask you're questions, if you are to scared or think it's a dumb question PM me and I will either answer or ask for you!!! I realy am diving into uncharted water here, if you need a fall guy I am in this so deep all I can do is help others learn how to do it right!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
I used a telescoping gauge and a 1-2" micrometer. Never could figure out how to scribe the lines inside the cylinder properly, and good luck getting calipers in there!!! As I said, this is really all coming down to guestimating at best near as I can tell!!!
Andy

Hemostats and safty wire makes a good scribe.
Somewhere I read you have done machinist work.

manual said:
Hemostats and safty wire makes a good scribe.
Somewhere I read you have done machinist work.

Yep, 13 years, tool and die, production, custom automated machinery, more airplane parts than I care to think about, and mold building.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Yep, 13 years, tool and die, production, custom automated machinery, more airplane parts than I care to think about, and mold building.
Andy

Then my memory serves me right.

sawinredneck said:
OK kids!!!!!!!!!! Here is you're chance, learn from my mistakes, ask you're questions, if you are to scared or think it's a dumb question PM me and I will either answer or ask for you!!! I realy am diving into uncharted water here, if you need a fall guy I am in this so deep all I can do is help others learn how to do it right!!!
Andy
What mistakes? Your saw is running.
As you stated. you were being Conservative. And thats a good thing.
you have enough gasket maker to take it apart several times.
if you wanted to do a little tweeking.

manual said:
Then my memory serves me right.

Yep, and I am seeing where this is leading, so I will head it off at the pass!

I am used to doing precision work, if I had my druthers on this I would have driven the hour, programed the 5-axis mill and done it that way. I didn't have the option. I also could not, inside the 50cc cylinder, spray it with dykem, find the center and top of the radius, put a radius gauge in there and scribe around it to achieve the optimum flow/ desired radius. The other idea I had was to spray it with dykem and scribe down the side of a square, but again, how do you set you're original mark?

I will be the first to admit I have NO CLUE as to what I am doing, I am just tring to learn, and I know there are many others here that want to, but are too afraid, so lets all learn together?
Andy

Dude,
I save to BS for Thalls threads like the last one.
Not when someone trys to do something.
Look in Hot saws, then look for saw modds for dummies.
Scribe it before you start grinding. that way you keep the same profile.
As you already know.

manual said:
Dude,
I save to BS for Thalls threads like the last one.
Not when someone trys to do something.
Look in Hot saws, then look for saw modds for dummies.
Scribe it before you start grinding. that way you keep the same profile.
As you already know.

Thats fine manual, I wasn't sure where that was heading, sorry if I got deffensive. I stay out of hotsaws, not my thing over there, but I have read a lot of that thread. And yes, I would love to have scribed it, just couldn't figure out a way to "accuratlly" do it, so I ground, measured, and ground, just blended as best I could. A 50cc is not a good place to start!!!
Andy

Andy, do you have brush on Dykem? I like to mix the brush on with dykem remover to thin it out when working on shiny surfaces to prevent it from chipping. Plus that helps deal with any oil residue that may be in the cyl or whatever your working on.

Looks like your doing fine (Im not at all farmillar with your saws) but I was going to ask what kind of wood you were cutting.

Frozen Oak? Gotcha! Was that chisel or chipper?

RaisedByWolves said:
Andy, do you have brush on Dykem? I like to mix the brush on with dykem remover to thin it out when working on shiny surfaces to prevent it from chipping. Plus that helps deal with any oil residue that may be in the cyl or whatever your working on.

Looks like your doing fine (Im not at all farmillar with your saws) but I was going to ask what kind of wood you were cutting.

Frozen Oak? Gotcha! Was that chisel or chipper?

Stock Husky, Lowes on the 346, GB semi on the 046, too much dirty wood!!!

OK kids, post fast but type slow, I am starting to sober up!!! The 346 is sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me. I got some new bits, I got some new newspaper, so talk fast!!! What shall I change this ime around?
Andy

sawinredneck said:
OK kids, post fast but type slow, I am starting to sober up!!! The 346 is sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me. I got some new bits, I got some new newspaper, so talk fast!!! What shall I change this ime around?
Andy

Dont do it Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

sawinredneck said:
Andy

OH DEAR GOD. I HELP CREATE A MONSTER!!!!

Don't touch it for a while...You are going to get too greedy and lose everything you gained....

BUT........... BUT............................. She's ready, and willing:

attachment.php

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

sawinredneck said:
I used a telescoping gauge and a 1-2" micrometer. Never could figure out how to scribe the lines inside the cylinder properly, and good luck getting calipers in there!!! As I said, this is really all coming down to guestimating at best near as I can tell!!!
Andy

Get another old cylinder, cut it vertically in half. Make a paper/cardboard pattern of what you have and what you want to do, then stick in in your new cylinder and scribe... At least that's what I intend to do with my 440 in a week or so!

Lakeside53 said:
Get another old cylinder, cut it vertically in half. Make a paper/cardboard pattern of what you have and what you want to do, then stick in in your new cylinder and scribe... At least that's what I intend to do with my 440 in a week or so!

So, now that I have finally dried off the orange juice that my cell phone got dopped into, I can chat at bit.

Sooooooooo................ ya gots one of them there cylinders laying around???????
Andy

sawinredneck said:
So, now that I have finally dried off the orange juice that my cell phone got dopped into, I can chat at bit.

Sooooooooo................ ya gots one of them there cylinders laying around???????
Andy

Which one??? I sliced up 4 in the weekend (even a pretty damn nice 064), and have a big box arriving tomorrow! Did you see the pics?

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39724&page=3

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back