What carb adjustment tools give the best service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roanoker494

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am in the market for a good set of 2 cycle carburetor tools. What brands are giving the best service? All of the kits on Ebay and Amazon have complaints of the drive ends stripping out. I was hoping to find that Wiha made a set, but unfortunately no. Photo chosen at random from a Google search.download.jpeg.jpg

Good luck- I think most all those sets are Asian Invasion sets.
I work on the theory- if it cannot be tuned with a 100 X 4 mm flat bladed screwdriver- I am not interested in owning it. :laugh:
Problem is, Bob, my friends and customers keep giving me carbs to tune that a small flat-bladed screwdriver can't adjust. I have no idea where they find them (probably WalMart) but they do.

You may need to look to the saw manufacturer for adjusting tools. Stihl makes their own adjustment tools so that's what I use on Stihl products. I believe Husqvarna is the same. Problem is you can't walk into your local saw shop and buy the tools because they don't want just anyone making carb adjustments. Maybe look on eBay?

Anyone that strips out a carb adjusting tool should not be listened to!!
  1. Make sure that the adjutment screw head is clean.
  2. Make sure you are using the correct driver for the head shape.
  3. You're not bolting down a V-8 engine head. Don't torque the $hit out of the screws.
  4. If the tool doesn't seem to fit, see #2. (leave it alone you perverts)
I think it's more about the BS emissions regulations **. The fed god doesn' want Mr. HomeOwner touching the carb settings because emissions, so they make the screws with oddball heads. Then the Chinese sell the tools to adjust those heads, totally negating the stupid of the fed god.

I have a cheap set of those tools. They do the job.

** regulations made by people who burn more jet fuel in one trip than all (average) homeowner chainsaws burn in a year, combined. (this group does not count as average chainsaw users)

Problem is, Bob, my friends and customers keep giving me carbs to tune that a small flat-bladed screwdriver can't adjust. I have no idea where they find them (probably WalMart) but they do.
Get new friends and customers then. ;)

Also note- I said interested in owning it" and didn't say work on it. ;);)
I own a set of elcheapo dubious quality carb adjusting tools just like the ones pictured above and have not had any problems with stripping the ends on them- maybe some are pressed out of bubblegum?

Get new friends and customers then. ;)

Also note- I said interested in owning it" and didn't say work on it. ;);)
I own a set of elcheapo dubious quality carb adjusting tools just like the ones pictured above and have not had any problems with stripping the ends on them- maybe some are pressed out of bubblegum?
I believe a serious lack of QC is the main issue. I went a head and ordered a kit off Amazon that had the most recently posted good reviews. They shipped from Amazon so a return will be easy if I do get a turd.

I ordered some of the el chepos from Amazon and the one that was supposed to fit the Husqvarna screws was slightly oversized or it had too many teeth and jacked it all up. I ordered a Husqvarna genuine carb adjusting driver out of a place in England. They sell them in saw shops throughout Europe. There was a place out of Israel that sold them too. Get the part number out of the repair manual and do a bing search. find a place over seas. The American sites might list them but won’t sell them to you. It costs more but it is worth it IMHO.

You're not bolting down a V-8 engine head. Don't torque the $hit out of the screws.
Carb jet screws should be torqued? Who knew?
Q: If I use Loctite on my carb jet screws, should I decrease the torque spec by 20%?
J/K

One trick I've heard for when the special jet-adjusting screwdrivers chow out, is to jam some steel wool or Chore Boy swarf into the socket of the screwdriver to remove slop and increase traction...

Carb jet screws should be torqued? Who knew?
Q: If I use Loctite on my carb jet screws, should I decrease the torque spec by 20%?
J/K

One trick I've heard for when the special jet-adjusting screwdrivers chow out, is to jam some steel wool or Chore Boy swarf into the socket of the screwdriver to remove slop and increase traction...
That was in reference to the comment about stripping the heads on the screws ... why are they tight enough to strip the head...

I ordered some of the el chepos from Amazon and the one that was supposed to fit the Husqvarna screws was slightly oversized or it had too many teeth and jacked it all up. I ordered a Husqvarna genuine carb adjusting driver out of a place in England. They sell them in saw shops throughout Europe. There was a place out of Israel that sold them too. Get the part number out of the repair manual and do a bing search. find a place over seas. The American sites might list them but won’t sell them to you. It costs more but it is worth it IMHO.
Baileysonlinedotcom sells WEHA (sp?) brand? Assume they are quality?

I am in the market for a good set of 2 cycle carburetor tools. What brands are giving the best service? All of the kits on Ebay and Amazon have complaints of the drive ends stripping out. I was hoping to find that Wiha made a set, but unfortunately no. Photo chosen at random from a Google search.View attachment 938799
also on Amazon is sets made by HIPA. I bought two sets. They work real well, plus for around 24 bucks they toss in a rpm or spark tester. Cheapo but it's a tool. Dont think ya can go wrong , you have a safe day.

M

I am in the market for a good set of 2 cycle carburetor tools. What brands are giving the best service? All of the kits on Ebay and Amazon have complaints of the drive ends stripping out. I was hoping to find that Wiha made a set, but unfortunately no. Photo chosen at random from a Google search.View attachment 938799
Those look like the screws from the old McDonald's happy meal toys...lol

I have several sets of the cheap adjustment tools. I have used them on everything. I worked in a shop doing all the small 2 stroke work there. I never had any problems with my tools.

Back