What causes dying on sustained load?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My little tree saw (Dolmar 3410TH with reed box) seems to run fine for short cuts -- plenty of power, good throttle response, seems to run fine -- but if I put a sustained load on it, for example, if I try to buck up a 6" log, it dies as if it's starving for fuel. I can sometimes keep it going by "pumping" the throttle trigger, but usually not.

Is this commonly a symptom of a particular problem? What would you folks look at first? Fuel filter...?

Sometimes the reed box gets "loose" and it exhibits symptoms of a borderline air leak where you can't fatten it up enough to get the WOT RPMs down and the proper flutter/burble sound...I'll check that. Anything else?

Also check the fuel filter for signs of clogging... any restriction in the fuel supply route can cause leaning out at high rpms - as can a tiny air leak (fuel line, carb gaskets, etc.).

Thanks for the replies. Before I go tearing into a carb, I always try a good dose of Sea Foam -- especially on equipment that's being re-commissioned in the spring after the winter layup -- and even though this saw was run dry the last time I used it, it looks like Sea Foam might have saved my bacon again! Fingers crossed...

Recently, I had two chainsaw, both had a clogged carburetor and one had no strainer. They lit well and did not go out at idle

sea foam has never fixed anything for me , nor do I expect it to
I don't normally buy Snake Oil, but Sea Foam has saved me from having to clean out 2T carburetors on boats, saws and trimmers half a dozen times or so, so far.

Before the Sea Foam treatment, the only way you could keep them running is by choking the crap out of them. After Sea Foam -- back to normal. YMMV.

Sea foam is a powerful solvent and shouldn't really be used in 2 strokes, imo.

it does work to clean fuel systems tho it's better to clean mechanically than to rely on it as a do-all cure.

the naysayers on these gunks haven't used them. Or have used them when things are beyond their capabilities as a cleaner.

The saw in question has classic symptoms of fuel starvation.

Latest posts

Back