What chain brand YOU buy when u need one now (not online)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What chain YOU buy when you need it now (not online)

• Oregon

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Husquvarna

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Jonsered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stihl

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Tractor supply (country line)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For lo pro I've switched to TriLink that I can get locally. The cutters are considerably longer than the Oregon 91PX and they cost less too. I find they work very well.

I recently got a loop of TriLink 0.325 full chisel non safety chain at TSC. It seems to cut well even on the factory grind. Interestingly the factory grind was at 30deg rather than the 25deg they specify. The gullets were not well formed, but this is typical with factory grinds. The lengths and angles were all very consistent including side to side - better than the latest loops of Oregon chain I've bought. I still like Oregon 20BPX semi chisel though.

I also use their 3/8 full chisel and it works fine.

I consider chains to be a wear item, and it's more important to keep them sharp than it is to optimize the chain you start with. I don't want to pay a fortune or to have to put it on a credit card and pay shipping for something like that.
Is this the "tri-link"?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
Stupid question, is a "ripping chain" just a non-safety, no skip chain?

I have not seen ripping chain myself, however, from what I have learned ripping chain is just a standard chain (usually chisel chain) that has been sharpened with a different profile that optimizes ripping through a log along the wood grain rather than across the grain. I believe one of the main differences it the top plate angle is 0° instead of 25 or 30. Hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Stihl chain all the way. By far the best quality I have found...the cutters stay sharp longer and they don't stretch as much. And a lot of the loops of RS come spooky sharp out of the box and cut like hell. Definitely worth the extra few clams, IMO.

Stihl chain last much longer than anything else. If I only had one or two saws I'd run Stihl chain exclusively.

Now that I've contracted CAD I've been buying more Oregon lately as it's much cheaper than Stihl.

So from what I can see it's worth buying a loop of stihl at $30, just to compare to what I'm used to...

Stihl chain last much longer than anything else. If I only had one or two saws I'd run Stihl chain exclusively.

Now that I've contracted CAD I've been buying more Oregon lately as it's much cheaper than Stihl.
It's a cost benefit thing - I buy Stihl files because they are cheap and good and I can get them at the local ACE. I use them on other chains, and it only takes a couple of swipes to keep them sharp. The only Stihl chains they have there that fit my saws are some 62DL 0.050" gauge lo pro with horrid looking safety thingys, and I'm sure not paying extra for those.

Ya I fixed a stihl for a friend that had a stihl chain with a very odd looking safety link or raker or somthing

We have 2 saw dealers in the area, and they are not afraid to price gouge. Baileys has what I need for $24 plus the shipping

Unless you are buying 24"+ chains you need to find a source with better prices...
I am lucky to have three Stihl dealers withing 15 minutes and another three or four on routes I regularly travel. I'm amazed at the differences in price on chains between them. I buy most of my parts at two of them and Glock37 shops at one of those two. We spend a lot at that dealer and he gives a pretty good discount. Shop around you will find cheaper prices. I use Stihl and Oregon chain. I think the Stihl stays sharper longer and the Oregon is easier to sharpen.

Back