What chainsaw would you buy your 14 yr. old

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never owned anything other than a Stihl and consider myself a die hard Stihl guy, As silly as I know that sounds to all of you. LOL

I got to cut some wood yesterday and let my 310 have some fun. My oldest son (he's 14) took some real interest, he said "dad your 025 is going to be my saw some day". That got me thinking, What would be a good starter saw for him?
He's tall but really slim, he's a sports nut and athletic. I gotta take minute to brag a little, He shoots 85 % from the free throw line! Ok, I'm done... :hmm3grin2orange:

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting him a saw and chaps. Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks, Chris
You buy him a POS saw and let him learn how to maintain it and run it the hard way as I am sure we all have. I would say a newer Homelite or a Wildthing should fit the bill.

1. Safety Gear.
2. Good book about subject 3. Easy handling quality saw I vote for Dolmar PS401 Can buy full safety gear and 401 for price of fancy new saw...Fun saw to run, and a classic

So he has to wait all winter, then spend the next summer mowing to get a powersaw?

Sounds like a good way to turn him off to the whole idea.

Your in vehicle & gun territory with that plan..

What makes you think he did not start saving already?

I started working on my family farm when i was 8 and when i was 10 i got a dirt bike. Make him earn and respect what he gets!

Surely if you already have a 025 then why would you buy something else?

He has already stated that one day he wants it, so i think he would look after it. Get him to clean it all for you, show him how to take it apart then once he has finished and got it all back together and sharp, tell him he can use it for a while.

People bang on about xp this and 361 that, many many people have stihls without white handles and husky's that are from the homeowner section and they are adequate for everyday use. IF he does wreck it, better for it to be a 'lesser' saw than a spanking 'pro' saw.

Just my two pence worth... :)

I say no chainsaw until he get a job and buys his own. He will respect a lot more if he paid for it.
Yes or a covenant is made whereby he redeems cost of saw, possibly by use of it. Lead from the front. Young people learn from example. Character, work ethic should be there much earlier than 14 yr. Unfortunately, too many are raised by TV these days.

Kwdog75, My nephew is 16 and he has almost all the responsibilities at my sisters when is comes to firewood. Well splitting, stacking, and burning. When he helps me and my father cut the wood up he runs my 026, he handles it well and it doesn't over power him too much. My father stresses SAFTEY first with NO exceptions. As long as your son understands what could go wrong and how to avoid them you two will do alright. My nephew is 6'1'' and only 140lbs, a tall bean pole. He handles it pretty good, just keep an eye for when he starts getting fatigued, they will never tell you when they there tired. My nephew pushes hard to try to prove to us he can hang and that is when Im the most scared he'll hurt himself. Well Im starting to ramble, good luck and be safe. Matt

Kwdog75, My nephew is 16 and he has almost all the responsibilities at my sisters when is comes to firewood. Well splitting, stacking, and burning. When he helps me and my father cut the wood up he runs my 026, he handles it well and it doesn't over power him too much. My father stresses SAFTEY first with NO exceptions. As long as your son understands what could go wrong and how to avoid them you two will do alright. My nephew is 6'1'' and only 140lbs, a tall bean pole. He handles it pretty good, just keep an eye for when he starts getting fatigued, they will never tell you when they there tired. My nephew pushes hard to try to prove to us he can hang and that is when Im the most scared he'll hurt himself. Well Im starting to ramble, good luck and be safe. Matt
Yes, even the experienced let guard down when tiredness sets in.

Just my opinion, I would go with 35-40cc narrow kerf low pro chain, if you can find a model that you can upgrand the bar and chain to the "real stuff" even better. Good Luck

Thank you all for all the great comments and suggestions!!

I'm a little afraid that my 025 might be a little much for him. I do want to pass it down someday, but not sure that should be his first saw to use. I agree with all of you, I will be sure to be a good example to him and show him the proper way to maintain it. I agree also that if you buy it, you'll take better care of it. Plus, I bought it new myself, when I was 18, MY DAD was using a POS chainsaw. You spent more time working on it than using it!!! LOL! The funny thing is, I helped my dad on the farm, cutting, clearing fence rows and firewood. After I got my own saw he never did confess that I had a better saw than him, or that anything was wrong with his POS. But about 5 or 6 years later he went out and bought his first Stihl, an 025, just like mine!!! LOL!! He still works on the farm, and is on his second MS250.
Thanks again everyone!!
Chris

I may have missed a few comments in here somewhere so if I repeat something here, just ignore it.

I have a son, Nate is 16. Not all kids are the same, I would take him around let him look at saws. Dealers or where ever you can let him hold them etc. Let him see the difference between good stuff and lesser equipment.

If it was me, and who wouldnt want to be me, I would look too an Echo 4000. Why? Easy to start, good warranty, and available just about anywhere fairly cheap. They are somewhat light.

Thats my 2cents good luck.

There have been some discussions about children using chainsaws. Some of the ideas I remember being discussed before he starts using a chainsaw on a regular basis are: let him join your visits to local dealers and chainsaw events for him to learn a bit about saw models, what a saw is composed of how to make minor repair; teach him about chainsaw safety use and chainsaw dangers showing him pictures and short videos of chainsaw injuries and how to avoid them; take him along with you while you cut wood and let him help you around like carrying chainsaws and equipment and gathering wood, explaining all the time what you're about to do and how to do it safely; finally, let him limb and buck some wood and finally let him drop some trees. Most important, take a look at local laws for working minors and what sort of works they are allowed to do. Where I live there are very strict laws that protect minors and if my sons will by any chance get injured by misuse of my chainsaws I can go to jail and that's why I will not allow them to work with chainsaws until they are 18 years old!

Last edited:
I think you underestimate a 14 year old boys tolerance for discomfort. He will be happy to be using a man's tool and he will take some pride in the fact that in the process of doing work, some discomfort is to be expected. That is part of what makes it a "honest days work".

There is no amount of vibration and noise that would have caused me to not like chainsaws when I was 14. Just show him how to use it and not kill himself and he will be very happy. Even with the crappiest saw on the planet.....still better than no saw....;)

I totally agree!

Thats why I recommended looking at an older saw.

How about An axe, and a bowsaw (swedesaw)?, LOL.

Just keep the young man safe, I'm sure he would be happy with any reliable saw.

Latest posts

Back