What compression tester are you guys using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn022

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just posted an ad in the trading post for a quality compression tester. What testers are you guys using? I've had a couple auto parts store testers and was not impressed. Last one I used, I borrowed from a friend. It was a snap on mt 308 and seemed like a very nice unit. Thanks.

OTC are the best testers available. Funny thing is OTC make testers for Mac and then Mac mark it up then snap on also use the same OTC tester but mark it up even more. Buy an OTC kit. Best tester on the market for the money. I've said it before and I will say it again. Snap on are fools tools. No offence mike. It's important to realize that snap on don't make tools. They buy tools from another manufacturers (usually Mac or all trade) and charge insane prices just because of their name. For the record, I own like $3000 worth of snap on tools. It may seem like a lot but it really isn't. I got one extra long Philips screw driver that was something silly like $75 10 years ago LOL it's not to say they are not good tools. There are tools just as good for a lot less money with the same warranty. All my snap on we're hand me downs from my dad. I never fell for those insane prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OTC are the best testers available. Funny thing is OTC make testers for Mac and then Mac mark it up then snap on also use the same OTC tester but mark it up even more. Buy an OTC kit. Best tester on the market for the money. I've said it before and I will say it again. Snap on are fools tools. No offence mike. It's important to realize that snap on don't make tools. They buy tools from another manufacturers (usually Mac or blue point) and charge insane prices just because of their name. For the record, I own like $3000 worth of snap on tools. It may seem like a lot but it really isn't. I got one extra long Philips screw driver that was something silly like $75 10 years ago LOL it's not to say they are not good tools. There are tools just as good for a lot less money with the same warranty. All my snap on we're hand me downs from my dad. I never fell for those insane prices.

You are wrong, Snap-on does make tools. They do not make testers, gauges, etc., but they make wrenches, screwdrivers, tool boxes and other tools.

OTC makes alot of tools relabeled by Snap On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, Napa, Craftsman, etc.

Blue point is a line of tools by Snap On, how would Snap On buy Blue point and relabel?

I do know Blue point stuff was hard to get warrantied, even worse than Snap On. Some years back I ran a toolroom with a several million dollar inventory.
It got so bad on even getting a $20 screwdriver replaced that we completely switched to Matco.

Anyhow, the MT308 looks exactly like my Craftsman/OTC tester I bought maybe 10-12 years ago for around $50-60. I have no complaints, though I don't use it too often, mostly on saws that seem low on compression just to confirm.

You are wrong, Snap-on does make tools. They do not make testers, gauges, etc., but they make wrenches, screwdrivers, tool boxes and other tools.

As far as I know most of their wrenches, screwdrivers ETC.... Are made by either all trade or Mac.

I don't even care really. Like I said. They are fools tools. Way to much money for what you get. Much better more affordable options with the same warranty. I got a couple snap on torque wrenches. The one made by Pittsburg tools works pretty good. There is one made by someone unknown to me I've had replace 3-4 times and re calibrated I don't know how many times yet my mastercraft ones work all the time, never had to get them replaced. Nothing worse then hunting around for a damn snap on truck to get tools exchanged too. I've got an air compressor branded snap on. It's been a dang good compressor and the only reason I got it was in trade. Guys who can't be told bad things about snap on are guys who own lots of their tools and refuse to believe there are better options.

I got mine from eBay for around $60. I would buy the OTC if it was a new one or the mityvac diesel tester that's digital.

As far as I know most of their wrenches, screwdrivers ETC.... Are made by either all trade or Mac.

Nope, most all their wrenches, ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers are for sure made in house.

Not sure if they make their torque wrenches, but they were garbage when I was in the toolroom. I remember one order, we got 5 3/8" drive, I forget the torque range. 4 were junk out of the box, couldn't hold +- 5% and couldn't be adjusted enough.
They blamed in shipping damage, but in the end we went through a dozen of them before we had 5 that our lab could certify as good.

We had to recal them generally once every 6 or 12 months and it was a crap shoot if it was going to be usuable, that was even the spare ones that hadn't been used!

Some of them were $2000+ each too. Went to 1800 ft/lbs)

well trust me, i hope everything you guys say is correct LOL i've got a bunch of their tools. doesn't mean they are the best. many tool addicts will boast snap on like they are the best. they are good but there are better tools for much much better prices. about the only time i even consider snap on is when i'm looking for something specific that nobody else has. the answer to this question is OTC.

I went through several different brands of compression gauges before I finally bought a used OTC rebranded as Snap On for 5x more then the OTC costs new. I've had it for years now. I wouldn't consider anything else.

fixed for accuracy LOL :)

I prefer Mac wrenches to the others. SK I think it was made some nice tools.

I use a Milton compression tester. Had it for years and very happy with it. They still sell that model.

Most tool companies make much of their own product lines. With Snap-On, their Blue Point line is product that they buy from others and relabel. Craftsman is about the only tool company that doesn't make anything of their own and never did. They still put out some good stuff though. Lots of is from China now.

Latest posts

Back