What compression tester are you guys using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is a 1980 vintage Snap-on. I bought it used, and it has done a good job. OTC doesn't make any bad tools, and the OTC would be my choice if buying new.
OTC does make some bad tools.. for too much money too.. we have a laser tach, was $140 and it's a piece of crap from china.. it's worth about $20

I like the OTC gear pullers, etc

My compression tester is a $25 made in china one.. works fine for what I need.. don't base how good a tester is on how high a compression reading it'll give!.. compression testers are pretty simple things.

mmmm, no...check it out further,, before you make a statement like that...mac DONT make their own tools.................dont believe me???

Snap-on, Mac, Matco and Cornwell buy testers, etc. from other manufacturers. Snap-on manufactures their hand tools and tool boxes in their own factories. Matco makes their tool boxes and nothing else. Mac and Cornwell made their own boxes and hand tools. Since Mac was bought by Stanley I'm not sure who makes what.[/QUOTE]
was talking to westcoaster 90, but, snap does do that,,but its made to their specs. just not run of the mill stuff...

I use a craftsman test kit. Made by mityvac. Good kit if you ask me.

I tried a few cheaper ones like you and got poor results.

I also own a Craftsman kit that is a rebranded Mityvac 5530. I used a harbor freight cheapie for a while until it stopped working properly. Sears still appears to sell this model for about $65.
I bought mine new off of ebay for around $50. This tester has been solid for me, and includes many adapters, and it came with several spare schrader valve cores.
craftsman_compressiontester01_zpsm4sbub0c.jpg

crafstman_compressiontester02_zpsiqgvcxpl.jpg

Like I stated before, I got the OTC 5606 from Sears and I'm very happy with it. The long hose is a bit ridiculous for a chainsaw.

Honestly, it takes some pretty piss poor QC and/or manufacturing practices to make a bad gauge with one way valve with a hose attached to it. Accurate air pressure gauges can be made relatively cheaply so I think most the compression gauge problems people are having come back to an absolute bottom dollar dial gauge. I am aware of the thread about the MityVac digital gauge having problems but then again, I have never been too impressed with MityVac products though I do own and trust a few of them myself.

That said, OTC is probably the best available without paying the tool truck markup on the same product. If you want to give the Snap On man your patronage though, at least you will know that he is selling a quality product with good reliable customer support.

I have Snap-On and Mity-Vac sets as well as a cheap Actron I bought at Mejier for about $30 that I use most of the time.

Latest posts

Back