What Do I Need? Bucking my first log load.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my very first load of logs delivered to my house for firewood. In getting read to buck the logs, I want to make sure I have all the gear I should have. I have about 7 cords to buck and split.
Am I missing anything else?

We all recognize your question was about stuff, but given your situation several of us have tried to direct your attention to safety. In that vein, there is a lot of good information tucked away in this thread for you. As you can see we all approach things differently. Don't let that overwhelm you before you even start. You have a specific task in mind so concentrate on mastering it first. Log piles have their own unique risks in addition to the "ordinary" risks of operating a chainsaw so not only should you learn how to properly operate your saw, you should pay close attention to the earlier posts of those who cut from log piles. I'll end with these two comments: 1) PPE is only effective if you use it, so try some stuff out before you buy. For example, among the guys that cut placed wood at our woodlot I know no one that wears a hard hat or screen for very long and I have seen some tossed across the lot in frustration but everyone wears some type of eye protection- mostly safety glasses or goggles. 2) Welcome to AS. Gavman meant you no harm. As you peruse AS you will find others having a little fun with misinformation, you will also find sincerely given but nevertheless bad advice, and you find a lot of good advice and information. Misinformation and bad advice isn't always called out so use your head, don't get lost in the various skirmishes and rivalries here. None of us know it all. I for one have a lot to learn - that is why I hang around here.

Ron

Didn't read most of the stuff... whatever

If you plan on cutting and splitting firewood, here's my list.

Saw, usually 2, of the biggest you can handle all day. Not the biggest you think you can handle, but the biggest your comfortable handling.

Good boots, with good soles

Work gloves.

Splitting maul or single bit axe. (I preffer a 4-5 pound single bit to a maul)

Steel wedge

The rest is just fluff to make you feel better about being safe...

Ear protection if you thing you need it (which if you can still hear... you need it.)
Chaps... whatever, they work, but paying attention and not being a moron works better.
Hard hat/helmet, not necessary for firewood, unless you have someone helping that is terrible at throwing...
Eye protection... overrated but I suppose if you like seeing.

Plastic wedges are nice for unpinching a bar, but a steel wedge will work for this, plastic is safer though, and if you plan on buying a wedge just for bucking, then get the cheapest one, if you plan on doing any felling K+H redheads.

Peavy's and cant hooks are nice, and sure beat rolling logs by hand, but not really necessary.

The most important thing is having your noggin on straight and knowing when to quit

Post #54 Ironworker. We probably all started in a similar way if we did not grow up on a farm or something. And that is to buy a saw and begin. The difference is what we bring to that moment in terms of 'life experience'. As a retired union carpenter, addressing a union ironworker, our apprenticeships, training and experience have focused on forethought and safety while getting the job done. One new power house job was maned with 1,600 tradesmen. You kept your eyes open and looked out for one another's safety regardless of trade. My father-in-law (as an example) worked in an office, and on weekends would pick up a chain saw and start cutting. Putting it nicely, the man couldn't drive a car safely, let alone use a chain saw. How he got by for the thirty years I knew him without killing himself or someone else I have no idea. His awareness extended no further than his hand and an empty cup of coffee. No one ever taught him when he was young I expect. When I met him it was too late. My wife thinks, looking back, that perhaps he had mild Assberger Syndrome. Point being, as an ironworker, using similar tools, Partner saws cutting decking, rigging beams and columns, shaking out/staging iron, unloading steel off flatbeds, all give you a heads up on log piles and using that saw that my father-in-law, or the OP might not have. A friends daughter drove herself to the airport. When she got back her parking fee was several hundred dollars having parked in short term parking for a week. Her mom's comment was, "You just don't know what they don't know!"

Am I the only one who finds this all difficult to believe? A guy who has zero experience or equipment has purchased 7 cords of logs and comes onto an Internet forum to ask what he needs. I know everyone has to start somewhere but you need to crawl before you walk. I just see too many things that can go wrong here. To the OP, I'm not trying to tear you down but you need to find someone with experience to show you firsthand how to safely run a saw and to have that person cut the ones on top of the pile for you.

Everyone starts somewhere. I started in the woods, next to my Dad. Not everyone has that luxury. Fuel prices have gotten out of hand, and there are lots of new people looking to save where they can. For many people who aren't woodland property owners, that means buying it Cut/Split or getting a log load and DIY. I assume the OP came here looking for advice from those who have experience, and in true AS fashion, they're getting mostly good advice, with some hijinks, a little stupidity, and a couple people who just want to wander off the topic.

I'll give my opinions in another post.

Back to the OP - here's my minimum for "fairly safe" cutting on a pile of logs (this is not the same as cutting trees in the woods):

Saw with a sharp chain. Working wood can be fun - with a dull chain, it's a lot like work - more than I'd like. I found this site 5 years ago because the saw shop I was going to sharpened my chains, but didn't take down the rakers/depth guages. I was mad that my "sharp" chains wouldn't cut, and found out why here. You can spend days, weeks, even months learning the art of sharpening (and it is an art - those who are truly good at it I envy). A tool that makes a rookie capable of a decent, usable sharpening without too much knowledge or effort is the Husqvarna roller file guide. There are a lot of others, including a Pferd combination unit that does the rakers/depth guides at the same time as it sharpens, but there's nothing better than experience in this department.

Cutting on a pile of logs - always beware of shifting/falling dangers. This might be more important than anything else in your situatuion. Gravity always works, not always to your advantage. Be aware at all times, and be ready to get the heck out of there on no notice at all times. Best bet is if you can unstack them prior to cutting, either with a cant hook/peavey (Logrite is top of the line, but even a cheap Northern Tool can be made to work with some time on a grinder to make a good sharp point on it), or more power - a skid loader with a grapple bucket is the best tool for the job. IMO - steel toed boots are not an option here, they're required. Chainsaw boots that protect the top of the foot/ankle area are probably a good idea, I don't personally use them however.

Chaps/chainsaw pants - I lived for 39 years without em. For 37 or so of those years, I didn't know they existed. I wouldn't go cutting without em, knowing what I do now. Think of em as a seat belt for a chainsaw. You think you're good enough to not need em, and maybe you are, but there's always something that can go wrong and prove you made the wrong choice.

Wedges - for cutting on a log pile, a couple of the cheap Oregon 5 1/2" ones you can get at Northern or any place that sells saws work well enough to keep the cut open. You need to put them into the cut as soon as your bar leaves enough room to get them in though. If you wait till your bar is pinched, life will be needlessly difficult.

Hookaroons/Pickaroons/log hooks - these will all make your life easier. They're not mandatory by any means, but it'll save your back and worth the money in my opinion.

Eye/ear protection. YES, DAMMIT, YES! For cutting off a log pile, a helmet system isn't needed, but eye and ear protection for dang sure is. Even a cheap set of safety glasses and ear plugs are far better than nothing. One afternoon trying to flush a saw chip out of your eyeball will convince you of that in a hurry. Hearing damage is irreversible. Once it's gone, it ain't coming back. I grew up on farm tractors barking out of straight pipes, went into the military where everythings too loud, and came out with a massive appreciation for hearing protection. I work in metal stamping, which is a very loud business, and get my ears tested every year. My hearing isn't great (see above), but I haven't lost any hearing in the last 15 years thanks to religious wearing of hearing protection. There are lots of styles of earplugs - if the ones you try don't work well for you, try a different style.

It was mentioned above, but watch yourself. If you get fatigued, put the toys away and come back another day. People on here like to mention that the longer wood seasons, the better it gets. If you're out of commision from trying to work tired, it's not gonna season in the log while you heal. Take your time, be careful (there's no such thing as too careful), and get it done as you can.

Splitting with a hydraulic splitter - it can be done solo, but it's slow. Working with 1 or 2 helpers increases production by a lot. Safety is huge when working with others, however. I have one simple rule when people work with me splitting: Hands must be visible and on the sides of the log - NEVER on the ends. If all hands are not accounted for, the lever doesn't get pulled. No exceptions.

It's been a long day, I'm sure I forgot something, and maybe didn't explain things as well as I could have. Ask any questions you've got, and if you're anywhere close to the Twin Cities let me know and I'll be happy to give some in person advice.

I can believe the whole "first time cutting, seven cords.." My buddy has burned wood for 20 years, but has it all delivered so never runs a saw. His son just got out of the Marines, and bought a house that has a OWB. The couple cords that were piled up at the house sure didn't last long. When he ordered ready to go wood to be delivered he found out just how much it was going to cost him to heat his new found family home. He ordered up a couple semi loads of logs and now they are sitting in his yard waiting for the weather to break. He bought a saw (before I could talk with him) off Amazon.com. It has been a couple months, and it is still sitting in the box. We started talking and he knows next to nothing about cutting wood, but he is eager to learn and ready to work hard. I am headed over that way for few days when he gets started to give a few pointers and get him started in the right direction. I have woods available, so once he gets done with the delivered logs I have a new cutting partner. Having a strong young back helping out in the woods will prove to be well worth my time.

I would not go at a pile of logs with no less than chainsaw chaps or pants, and chainsaw boots. Especially if you're new at it. Ordinary steel toe boots have very little protection area when it comes to a chainsaw - the sides & tops of your feet are still very exposed to danger. And cutting up a pile of logs, your bar will likely be below waist level 90% of the time. One little slip and it will be ugly.

I got my very first load of logs delivered to my house for firewood. In getting read to buck the logs, I want to make sure I have all the gear I should have. I have about 7 cords to buck and split.

Should?? Should is relative? What one guy think's you should have, the next guy might not.

First, let's start with what you need to convert a pile of logs into split firewood.
You need some way to cut the logs to length... most guys here use a chainsaw.
You need some way to split the cut logs... manual or power equipment, you decide.
OK, that covers need.

Second, lets cover some handy items that may make the job easier, and possibly faster.
Plastic bucking wedges are great... if ya' remember to use 'em the chances of pinching the bar become as close to zilch as it will ever be.
Some sort of pry bar to move heavy logs, especially off the pile... a peavy or cant hook is nice, but an old truck drag link, or even a shovel works also.
Some sort of log lift or jack allows you to cut all the way through without hitting dirt... but ya' can make all the cuts half way, then roll the log over to finish.
A second person will save more time than anything... they can do the moving so you can keep cutting (or splitting).

Third... safety equipment, or personal protection equipment (PPE).
Some guys won't start a chainsaw without first putting on a full battery of PPE... others not so much. If your job was using a chainsaw you may not have a choice, the employer may require it. But as a homeowner, cutting personal firewood, using your own tools and equipment, on your own time?? Heck man, that's your decision, your choice... if you're not comfortable without it, then by all means use it. I would never, ever, tell someone not to use PPE... EVER‼
Personally I don't use it and never have... but... listen up now...
I don't wear ear protection using any sort of power equipment... I have the hearing loss to prove it (doctors say I need hearing aids, but I refuse to look at 'em).
I don't wear eye protection (except my prescription bifocals)... my wife has dug enough debris out'a my eyes to prove it (but I still have both eyes... -shrug-).
I've never owned a set of chaps... I've got the scars on both knees and one leg to prove it.
I usually wear leather work boots (no steel toes), but I've also run a saw in cutoffs and tennis shoes (or even barefoot)... the big toe on my left foot has been broke twice, and mangled once to prove it.
I own a hard hat, but only wear it when felling and I think the chance for a falling limb is high, and then only if I remember to take it with... I've got the scars above my right eye and behind my ear to prove that I usually forget it.
I normally wear gloves (but not always), just the cheap leather work gloves from the fleet store, and they usually have holes worn through... if i'd have kept all the splinters I've pulled from my hands I could heat my home for a month, my knuckles are always skinned-up, and I can't even begin to count how many times I've drawn blood when sharpening or swapping a chain. But the most painful injuries I've ever received from working barehanded were the burns from touching a hot part of the saw or splitter.
Honest-ta-god truth, once temperatures get above 60° I'm normally wearing leather boots, jeans, worn-out gloves and I'm shirtless... I've got the scars to prove the shirtless also.

So... you make the call... it's your blood... heck, I ain't gonna' hold it against ya' either way.

When I think of steeled toed boots I am thinking more of the log that shifted or the rounds that drop in an unexpected manner, not for saw protection. If I am cutting close to the ground I am either kneeling or undercutting 90% of the time. It makes my back tired just thinking about cutting all bent over.:confused:

For PPE, hearing & eye protection are a minimum. Most of us started out without a lot of extras but have added as we could afford or felt convicted to. Take time to keep your work area clear of trip hazards is a key to safe saw operation.

However, if you can afford it & are just needing a way to justify your wants to your spouse, I guess they just became a necessity. :D In this case, don't forget a 2nd saw to cut the one loose you pinched in log. :rolleyes:

I came to late to this in life but must have blocked 50 cords in the last few years.

Solid pair of boots, mine were cheapies from Walmart.

I do not have chaps, I should have chaps.

Gloves, well I use the cheap grippie ones, they last longer then leather.

Glasses, usually it is sunny so my sun glasses and a cap to stop the sun burning me.

Helmet, why?

Hearing protection, my chainsaw is not that loud, I have not had a muffler mod etc. Much worse noise in the Car if the Grandchildren have control of the volume. I usually have a radio nearby anyway. I have never bothered, I do have ear plugs for shooting.

Wedges, never needed one.

Chainsaw and chains. What I have learned is always have spare sharp chains available, I usually touch up every tank. If I feel it is losing its edge swap out.

Most of my wood is not that big in diameter, I have a 16" bar and 20" bar and use the shortest I can get away with.

My lengths were mainly 40', the smaller ones at the bottom I would lift to a a buck as it was easier in the long run. Gets them out of the dirt and I can cut straight through.

After a while I could judge lengths just by looking, plenty of ways of marking otherwise, just look on Baileys web site.

In my shopping list, chaps and a peavey for this year.

And keep your chainsaw clean. Compressor is useful to blow the dust out.

I have a splitter.

Como, and anyone else for that matter - if you choose not to wear earplugs, that's your choice. Just be aware that even stock saws pump out 100Db, which can put a hurt on your ears in a short time. Ever have a ringing in your ears? It's a sign of damage, and it'll only get worse.

Some people won't wear em because they think they won't be able to hear something going wrong. Ask someone who wears them all the time and they'll tell you that's not the case at all.

Even a splitter motor is well into the 80+Db range, enough to cause damage over a long period. Ear damage is a function of volume x time - the longer you're exposed, the less loud it needs to be to cause damage.

I wish I knew now what I didn't know back in my indestructible youth.

Years ago, I was checking the falling job on a timber sale. I saw a faller who was taking a break, he proudly said he was retiring in a few days, he had survived long enough to be able to collect Social Security. I noticed I wasn't having to use my landing voice (almost shouting) to have a conversation with him, like I did with most older loggers. I brought this up. He said he started wearing earplugs as soon as they were available, and always used them. He did not need a hearing aid. That was rare.

If you don't wear hearing protection, it won't be too long before your favorite word is "HUH?" Nobody wore them around here back in the 60', 70's and 80's - I wish I had, now. Tinnitus is not pleasant. Huh?

Ever have a ringing in your ears? It's a sign of damage, and it'll only get worse.
Ear damage is a function of volume x time - the longer you're exposed, the less loud it needs to be to cause damage.
I wish I knew now what I didn't know back in my indestructible youth.

My ears ring constantly... it's actually quite loud when there's otherwise silence. The damage isn't just from chainsaws and other power equipment; things like guns, working in loud factories, Rock 'N' Roll, and loud cars have all had an effect. I'm totally unable to hear a conversation if there's any sort of background noise (like even in a shopping mall). A fella' gets good at reading lips and just nodding with a smile on your face. "They" say I've lost 65% of my hearing in the left ear and 50% in the right... the higher the frequency, the worse it is. My wife won't even try talking to me unless she can get me to look at her, she knows I'll only catch part of it if I can't watch her lips.

Yeah, at one time I was young, dumb and bullet-proof...
Now I'm older, wiser, and I still think I'm bullet-proof.

these are pretty handy if doing a lot of bucking

Mingomarkerlog.jpg

As with any power tool, eye protection should be a must. I wear prescription glasses , and I can not begin to tell you how many times some good sized pieces of wood have bounced off them, or branches poked my lenses while limbing.

look at all those answers!

On my list:
Chainsaw and xtra chain
Gloves
chaps (just watch some videos on youtube and think about that being you who cut the fire out of yourself)
Eye protection/bush gaurd
Ear protection

And let someone know you're cutting so they can check on you

Back