What do some people expect?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damato333

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had some lady call me for 3 cords of wood today? I sell it for $200 a cord(seasoned oak, ash, maple). And delivery would be extra. She lives about 40 minutes from me. So I told her $600 for the three cords and I wouldn't charge for delivery because I like to give a deal for multiple cords. She was annoyed because I am charging $200 and it's not all oak. I am in the middle of what people charge around me. There are definitely people that charge $150 per cord and there are people who charge $250 or $275 per cord. I feel like she's going to find someone cheaper cause there's always someone that will undercut you. I do a lot for my customers. I always give them more wood than they order and I always load the wood into my front end loader by hand so I don't get any stone or soil in their wood. I try my best to give people there moneys worth. Guys in the firewood business do you think I should've given her a better deal? If there's anybody in my area (Bucks County) I definitely want to know what you guys think.

I'm on the other side of the state, but here's my take. If you sell all you wish to sell, then the market has deemed your pricing to be not overpriced.

To me, properly seasoned oak is premium firewood and commands a higher price. If you don't want to pay the higher price for the highly desirable firewood, then I also have mixed hardwoods for a lower price. Once again, market forces prevail.

I'm on the other side of the state, but here's my take. If you sell all you wish to sell, then the market has deemed your pricing to be not overpriced.

To me, properly seasoned oak is premium firewood and commands a higher price. If you don't want to pay the higher price for the highly desirable firewood, then I also have mixed hardwoods for a lower price. Once again, market forces prevail.

I agree with everything you said. It just annoys me how some people want the best wood for the price of camp fire wood.

I wouldn't let her bother you. I'm not in the firewood business, but as in most businesses, the prices you charge have a lot to do with the type of customers you attract. Many times the people looking for the cheapest deals are people you can never make happy, or who make you work twice as hard for half the profit. I would suggest just reaffirming your price and that you feel it's fair. If she declines, that's her choice. You're right, someone will probably undercut you. Let them have the headache.

You offered her a deal and she still complained. Pfft. no biggee, shine her on. Tell her to go find/cut/process/season and deliver just one cord herself and see if the price seems fair or not....

I agree with everything you said. It just annoys me how some people want the best wood for the price of camp fire wood.

I know the feeling.

Sometimes it's just ignorance on the part of the prospective buyer; that is, they don't know the market well enough. I do have sympathy for this person and welcome them back.

Other times it's the ol' wheeler-dealer who likes to haggle over everything and gets PO'ed when he doesn't "win the game" by talking down the price. It's annoying when this person tries this when the price is already more than fair.

There are three things businesses with similar products/services compete on:

1. Quality
2. Cost
3. Speed

As a customer you get to pick TWO of those. Ex: if you want quality product and need it fast, then you probably aren't going to get the cheapest price. Or if you want quality and cost, then you have to wait until a business is slow and offers financial incentives to drum up business. Etc.

It seems like this lady wants all 3, but that's not reasonable. Of course, she may not understand that!

Anyway, I think your offer was more than fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Festus is spot on

Set your price and stick to it.You know your costs and expenses, it's not your job to lose money to heat someone's home for free.

As your phone is ringing what you're charging is certainly in the local market ballpark. I used to give multi-cord discounts years ago but soon realized that when you give any discounts, especially if you advertise them, you're opening yourself up to negotiating pricing with every potential or existing customer.

The "negotiators" are the same bunch that will place an order, schedule delivery, and then call you the day prior to delivery and cancel the order because they found someone cheaper. They always say they'll buy from you if you give them the same price as the hack. I don't mind losing these sales as they're inevitably the same bunch referenced in Festus' post above.

Price is the price, there's so much BS involved in selling wood, why add another layer to deal with.

Take Care

My thought is if they can get it cheaper they should.
They will probably get cheaper semi cured semi decent wood and be happy with that, or discover they get shorted because they buy so cheap.
People that complain even after you give them free delivery and a good price for quality wood. UGG PITA.

Cord here around $250.
Yep you can get a cord cheaper, but that's what you get is cheaper or short or discover it's all crud.

Last edited:
If she is that disagreeable on the initial phone call, it is very unlikely you are going to have a pleasant experience with her any way. Those kind are never satisfied and always want something for nothing. Better off to just explain your good cord count and treatment of other customers and let it go at that. $200 for a generous cord of seasoned hardwood and free delivery for an hour and a half round trip, not including dumping it exactly where she wants it and waiting for the money while she continues to argue the price, is more than reasonable.

I call them "how muchers". The first question they ask as they work their way through a list of sellers is "how much" ? I don't wasted time with them anymore. My firewood prices are set at the higher end of what my local market will bear and I sell out every year. I have no problem competing with part timers who are willing to sell $100 a cord or more cheaper than me. They come and go and many cheat customers on quantity and quality. Stick to the price you want and you will build a reliable client base who will not nickel and dime you on price.

I'm not in business, but I have sold some wood on occasion. A few years ago I had 3cords of red oak that had been dead standing for 5 years, cut and stacked for one. Oh how the pieces would ring when you knocked them together!!!(I love that sound, btw)
I listed it n CL for 300/cord. My phone was ringing constantly with people asking if it was still available. It was, and then their next question was almost always "would you take 250/cord if I buy all three?"

Ummm, no sorry. At the time this was the going rate for oak in is area. One guy was persistent as hell....."I'll give you 275/cord but you deliver for free". In the ad it clearly stated that delivery was available for a fee, and that prices were as stated. I sure alot of people are all about playing the haggle game, but as a seller it gets annoying!!!!.
Another guy got pissed when I wouldn't budge and told me" let it rot then, it's your loss".....I told him, no, I'd burn it myself this year and make my money by not paying the gas bill......I'm not losing either way......click(he hung up).

Stay firm.....let the hagglers get their wet wood and shorted stacks from the hacks.

Dave

Don't give in and don't lose sleep over it. If you have quality firewood at a competitive price (doesn't have to be cheap), you will sell out year after year. And as your clients spread the word about you, you will sell out earlier every year.

I don't sell but if I did and people wanted to haggle on the cash price, I would go "OK" but say they had to make up the differtence in good swap of some kind. Say you had it for 200 bucks/cord and someone offered 150, sure, ask for something worth at least 50 bucks swap. If they still insist on lowballing with the swap though, shine them on.

In this economy, some folks are broke or close to it, but they might have something of interest to you, or something you know you might be able to flip later on. and they will *need* the heat,,

Here is an example, selling/swapping in winter, lawncare stuff, mowers/trimmers, etc go for cheap in the winter season, so swap value goes down as per bucks equivalent, but hang on to it until next spring, it goes up! If you can afford to wait some for your cash, you might could come out ahead! Swap a cord for a running riding lawnmower, maybe make a hundred bucks more next spring over what you were asking for the wood. Good running any generic rider you can get 350 in the spring, but if you can swap a cord for it now..see?

You never know, haggling can be fun, I think all of us have done it, just turn those potentially negative situations to your positive advantage. If you are already talking to them on the phone, it is worth another few sentences.

I like my local small store gun dealer's attitude. His sticker prices are a bit high, ask nicely what his best price is, and you'll usually get the best deal around.

Try the "I can get it cheaper over at..." and he'll point at the door and tell you to go get it then. Negotiations have ended at that point, and no amount of butt-kissing will move him off the sticker price.

People say he's grouchy. I like it that way. I call it character.

You're already giving her how many dollars worth of free $4 fuel and she wants more? Stick to your price, someone will be happy to buy it from you. And, as already stated, you can burn it yourself before it rots and still get your money out of it. When she calls back, tell her the free delivery special you were running is no longer valid, lol.

Some people feel that they need to haggle on price, no matter what they are buying. I am not one of these people but do respect people for trying, as long as they aren't rude or insulting while doing so.

To me it sounds like she is kicking the tires and looking for someone who needs to dump product. If you don't need to dump product for marginal gain, hold tight.

The other thing to consider is your loyal customers who do pay full price. If they find out someone b@^ched to get a deal and they didn't you can lose good sales that you do want.

I know the feeling.

Sometimes it's just ignorance on the part of the prospective buyer; that is, they don't know the market well enough. I do have sympathy for this person and welcome them back.

Other times it's the ol' wheeler-dealer who likes to haggle over everything and gets PO'ed when he doesn't "win the game" by talking down the price. It's annoying when this person tries this when the price is already more than fair.

What's wrong with wheeling and dealing? I'm sure we all do it, or should. That's the American way. Now A great deal should be taken, it's insulting to wheel and deal on a great deal. If she doesn't like the price, to bad. I would sell for more, never could understand how people could make money selling firewood. The way I do it, it would have to be 5-6 hundred $$$. Still would be worth more to keep it, to me.

Latest posts

Back