What do you do to pull yourself over the branch at the top?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look up asset, it's only an asset if it's desired by the homeowner, example a pool can be a benefit or liability depending on the buyer, an asset is something tangible that you own that can be sold to another individual for monetary compensation. The only trees that fit that definition would be located at a nursery.

Properly cared for trees are such an asset.

They can quickly be devalued out of ignorance on both the owner's and contractor's ignorance.

People often don't realize that the 'good price' they thought they were getting on sub standard tree care actually resulted in a 'big loss' in property value.

Spiking prunes are a prime example usually compounded by the climber (note I didn't say 'arborist') not knowing what do prune once in the tree.
A desirable tree, oak, cherry, walnut ect. over 16" in diameter cut in 8' or 16' foot lengths is an asset.

GuideforPlantAppraisal9thEdition-210-medium.jpg

hth

Hey most customers want a climber w/hubris, hell I want a mechanic, attorney ect. w/hubris, I sure the hell don't want to hire someone who's hemming and hawing, not sure of the outcome.

You've already used up one life from making a huge mistake mate.

You got lucky once. I suggest you examine your climbing methods, and reinforce your safety methods to insure you don't hit the ground again?

A little humility might just be the thing that keeps you alive my friend?

jomoco

You've already used up one life from making a huge mistake mate.

You got lucky once. I suggest you examine your climbing methods, and reinforce your safety methods to insure you don't hit the ground again?

A little humility might just be the thing that keeps you alive my friend?

jomoco
I have, that was a long time ago nearly a quarter of my life, I've not even came close to that kind of mistake, I always check points of attachment, and when I'm blocking down I've my climbing line and my buckstrap wrapped around the spar. BTW it wasn't in the confines of this industry, but I've used up a lot of my 9 lives. When I was 16 I was broad sided on a bicycle by a big Oldsmobile police report said I flew through the air 110 feet, I stood up and was going to limp home, an ambulance came, at the hospital they cleaned asphalt out of my knee, just a laceration, put stitches in it and couple in lip. I was sore but fine nothing broken. So once again I was the exception.

Look up asset, it's only an asset if it's desired by the homeowner, example a pool can be a benefit or liability depending on the buyer, an asset is something tangible that you own that can be sold to another individual for monetary compensation. The only trees that fit that definition would be located at a nursery.

Evidently there is a whole aspect of arboriculture that you are unaware of.

Trees as assets.jpg

Evidently there is a whole aspect of arboriculture that you are unaware of.

View attachment 393673
No I get it, I like big mature trees, I just don't enjoy having to trim them, I'd much rather trade jobs w/someone who enjoys that aspect of job and they can give me a removal of equal value, in a perfect industry. But by definition a tree isn't an asset unless it's a sapling or lumber, it's a resource.

No I get it, I like big mature trees, I just don't enjoy having to trim them, I'd much rather trade jobs w/someone who enjoys that aspect of job and they can give me a removal of equal value, in a perfect industry. But by definition a tree isn't an asset unless it's a sapling or lumber, it's a resource.

You can repeat it as often as you like, you are still wrong by definition.

You can repeat it as often as you like, you are still wrong by definition.
Then explain how an oak tree let's say 3 feet in diameter can be sold to another individual in exchange for monetary compensation, aside from being made into saw logs, if healthy trees were an asset rather than paying us to take them down if they are unwanted homeowners would sell them. You don't generally destroy an asset if you don't want it, you sell it.

I have, that was a long time ago nearly a quarter of my life, I've not even came close to that kind of mistake, I always check points of attachment, and when I'm blocking down I've my climbing line and my buckstrap wrapped around the spar. BTW it wasn't in the confines of this industry, but I've used up a lot of my 9 lives. When I was 16 I was broad sided on a bicycle by a big Oldsmobile police report said I flew through the air 110 feet, I stood up and was going to limp home, an ambulance came, at the hospital they cleaned asphalt out of my knee, just a laceration, put stitches in it and couple in lip. I was sore but fine nothing broken. So once again I was the exception.

Tell us about the 40 foot fall mate?

How'd it happen?

Were you tied in, cut your line with a chainsaw?

jomoco

Tell us about the 40 foot fall mate?

How'd it happen?

Were you tied in, cut your line with a chainsaw?

jomoco
It was a simple mistake, I'd spent 2 weeks dealing w/storm damage, just found out they found the co-owners body he'd been missing a month, so the following day I'm doing my own job, I was ripping apart a basswood, lots of thoughts running through my mind, I untie my line to reset lower on the the tree. I was taking off the lead I was tied into, I became distracted forgot to tie my line and went to swing around to the back side of the spar, it was only a barber pole besides the limb I was tied into that I was about to take off. So I went to swing landed flat, was in and out of consciousness, woke up in the hospital w/a broken wrist.

Then explain how an oak tree let's say 3 feet in diameter can be sold to another individual in exchange for monetary compensation, aside from being made into saw logs, if healthy trees were an asset rather than paying us to take them down if they are unwanted homeowners would sell them. You don't generally destroy an asset if you don't want it, you sell it.

Real estate brings higher prices with well cared for trees.

In neighborhoods with well cared for trees individual houses appraise at higher values.

This is economics 101.

Arboriculture 101, too.

Hey most customers want a climber w/hubris, hell I want a mechanic, attorney ect. w/hubris, I sure the hell don't want to hire someone who's hemming and hawing, not sure of the outcome.

Humility is not the same as hemming and hawing. You can have complete confidence in the job your doing but still be humble.

Real estate brings higher prices with well cared for trees.

In neighborhoods with well cared for trees individual houses appraise at higher values.

This is economics 101.

Arboriculture 101, too.
That makes them attributes they are only good to owner of property, the property is an asset, or they may be a liability if the owner or buyer does not desire them, you don't buy an expensive car remove the fully loaded leather seats and refer to them then, as an asset. The car is an asset the seats are an option, and if the buyer hates leather they become a liability. A land developer does not look at all the trees in a potential neighborhood as assets, some are liabilities. If they were assets he could sell them and make a profit instead of bulldozing them out of the way. They are many positive things, But an asset is something you own unto itself that you can exchange for for monetary compensation.

Nothin worse than an ungrateful buzzard feedin on death!

I still do my little ritual of apologizing for murdering one of god's noblest creations, and thanking Him for providing the sustenance to feed and shelter my family and I.

Then, it gets ugly as the devil in me's unleashed, and smart groundies stand back!

jomoco

Nothin worse than an ungrateful buzzard feedin on death!

I still do my little ritual of apologizing for murdering one of god's noblest creations, and thanking Him for providing the sustenance to feed and shelter my family and I.

Then, it gets ugly as the devil in me's unleashed, and smart groundies stand back!

jomoco
I've let trees stand til fledgling hawks flew away in a couple of months, I've lowered raccoon kits to the ground in a 5gallon bucket, I'm there to remove a tree because that's what the company owner or customer wants, I'm not there to hurt the animals that call the tree home, but if I don't take it down someone else will.

Back