What do you do when you get a new used saw in your hands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, pulled the flywheel today and it was the one slot 1204... (I think they came with the 1204 from the factory and the two slot 1203 is the replacement flywheel from the IPL). But I will definately replace the "eye-less red eye coil". I'm not sure it revs fully at WOT and it bangs a lot when idling (back firing I guess)! So I'll get a used 1201 I think, and the universal coil.

/Pontus

I got dibs on the old coil lol, I think you should wait on the flywheel change until you put some time on it

Vac & Pressure Test

After a quick inspection of the piston through the exhaust port, I do a vac and pressure test on new to me saws.

May sound over the top but it really doesn't take long to make up a couple of rubber gaskets from old inner tube and test it.

Maybe not necessary if the piston is ok but gives me a warm feeling to know it's air tight.

Whilst the mityvac is out I also pressure test the fuel line and carb.

Once those are clear (most times - not all) I know I'm 90% home and dry.

I got dibs on the old coil lol, I think you should wait on the flywheel change until you put some time on it

If the coil is not functioning properly I have to change the flywheel too. But first I'll clean everything, replace spark plug and boot (worn), adjust the air gap, install the carb kit and new fuel line etc. If it runs perfectly after that, I'll postpone the flywheel and coil change and just use the saw. And tear the 046 down! :D

/Pontus

Latest posts

Back