What Do You Do With The Ashes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kills the odor in the out house.
start making soap
Spread them on the side walk cause it's alot cheaper then store bought salt.
fertilizer for the garden.

The list goes on......

Wood ash has lots of potassium salts in it, a prime nutrient for tomatoes.

Most packaged fertilizers promote tomato plant growth, the inedible stuff. Potassium promotes setting fruit, and growing same.

I put some on the garden last year where I'm growing tomatoes now and they look great.

I've also read that it gets rid of bugs in your garden too but don't know if it's true.

I put some on the garden last year where I'm growing tomatoes now and they look great.

I've also read that it gets rid of bugs in your garden too but don't know if it's true.

It definitely made our tomatoes grow. I am not sure if the bugs are any better or not though.

Agreed, wood ashes are your best non-skid solution for icy steps and walks.

We spread the ashes over the veggie plot last winter. Come spring I spread some 10-10-10, tilled again and planted. The plants shot up fast this year. I ain't never had summer squash plants this big.

The squash are growing near as fast as I can pick 'em. Gotta get to cooking this weekend. Cukes are fattening up quick. Maters got a late start but they're growing quickly. Cantaloupe vines are all over the place.

Have yer soil tested early before adding wood ash or any amendment for that matter. :)

I have a ledge in my side yard right where I cut, split, and noodle my wood at. I just dump the ash over on one side of it and dump them over on one side and of the ledge and dump the splitter turds, rotten wood, and other wood debris. I also have a pile for all my noodles that I rake up and shovel into the pile right on the side of the ledge. Yes, I am weird and like to keep my debris kind of separate.

I was reminded of this old thread yesterday when I spent a few minutes reclaiming my driveway from skating rink status after a January thaw:

attachment.php

I put the ashes on top of the garden rows in the winter and between the rows in the summer. If you have enough ashes, it will hold down all the weeds between the rows. Cabbage likes a lot of ashes... I work it in around the plants. Also save a lot of it to disk in my Food Plots in the spring. Just like free pot ash... My lawn gets a good dusting just be for it snows...

Yeah our walkways were muddy from the thaw. Happened to get a wood delivery at the same time, so took the wood chips from sawing and some ash and spread it all over the wet areas, problem solved.

If you have a spot in your ravine where you dump leaves, branches and such.... do not dump your ashes there. There could possibly be a few live embers in there that given enough time will set the whole pile ablaze.

Luckily I learned this when we had decent snow cover and the fire didn't get beyond the pile.

Latest posts

Back