What do you pay for wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Curious what the going rate for firewood is in the different parts of the country. (the kind that other people cut for you, not harvested in the forest or from blow downs) Here in Connecticut, expect to pay $200 a cord for rounds, and $250 for split. Sometimes there is a delivery fee. You can get better deals, but they can be hard to find. That's per cord for hardwood.
What's the rest of the world paying?

I don't pay for wood...........

But I generally see prices starting at $200 for green cut/split delivered cords here.

I see seasoned cut / split delivered cords starting around $275 and going up over $300 / cord.

Around 150 average here,split and delivered.
Have seen it as low as 100!

Here in Central Ontario the going rate is $840 for a truck load of log length hardwood, $225-$250 Cut split and sometimes delivered, and $75 - $90 a face cord.

I sell small time for $80/ face cord delivered local to people that I know.

Local Prices here are as follows:

Pine- 150.00
Mixed..Pine, Euc, orange, avocado-225.00
Oak-275.00 (Summer) 325.00 (Winter)
CurlLeaf Mountain Mahagony, everyone calls it Ironwood-375.00

this past winter it was around $200 a cord mixed hardwood, $220-240 for all oak ( why do people request all oak, and not all locust or hickory or something..?)

375 - plus 13% tax starting July 1 here in Toronto east area. Always guys advertising cheaper on kijiji and craigs list. Not sure how the tax will fly with cutomers. Tax was 5% and I was willing to eat it at that rate. Can't afford to absorb 13%.

Ranges anywhere from 135 to 235 for a full cord, always advertised as mixed hardwood (although it is only sold in FC here). There is no market for softwoods around here.

$200 and up for all Oak. The only problem I have when I see a sign on the road or side of an old beat up truck that says $100 a cord, is whoever it is has no idea what a cord is. They throw a pile of wood on their truck and call it a cord because "it's a big pile" and "it was a lot of work". But, $200 plus stacking is fair around here, Joe.

I buy a lot of wood. I give $90 a cord for unsplit wood, $105 for split,and $135 for cook wood split and stacked in my trailer. When I sell wood I get $300-$390 a cord for it.

Scott

For green mixed hardwood....delivered..
Repeat customers pay me $180 for a REAL STACKED IN cord of wood....
New customers pay $200, again, a real stacked in cord.
Friends get it for $150, but I don't stack it, I just heap it in.
I sell "log lengths" delivered for $100 a cord, and I can take 2 cord at a time on the F550. It's less money per cord, but it's FAR less work; No loading, no cutting, no splitting. The log truck loads me. I prefer to sell it this way.

I have yet to sell any seasoned or dry, as I sell it as fast as I can work it up...but the local ads want $250 for seasoned, and $300 for kiln dried wood...almost always "2 cord minimum"...

I just heard about a place that will cut and split (BIG processor) a cord of wood, fed right into your truck, for $125 cash...this is a BIG time logging concern, and they can afford to sell it that cheap because they sell so damn much...
If this turns out to be true, I might just start buying it there and dumping it in my field to dry...If I can turn $140 (wood plus fuel) into $250-$280 by watching it sit all summer...I can't not do that..

For green mixed hardwood....delivered..
Repeat customers pay me $180 for a REAL STACKED IN cord of wood....
New customers pay $200, again, a real stacked in cord.
Friends get it for $150, but I don't stack it, I just heap it in.
I sell "log lengths" delivered for $100 a cord, and I can take 2 cord at a time on the F550. It's less money per cord, but it's FAR less work; No loading, no cutting, no splitting. The log truck loads me. I prefer to sell it this way.

I have yet to sell any seasoned or dry, as I sell it as fast as I can work it up...but the local ads want $250 for seasoned, and $300 for kiln dried wood...almost always "2 cord minimum"...

I just heard about a place that will cut and split (BIG processor) a cord of wood, fed right into your truck, for $125 cash...this is a BIG time logging concern, and they can afford to sell it that cheap because they sell so damn much...
If this turns out to be true, I might just start buying it there and dumping it in my field to dry...If I can turn $140 (wood plus fuel) into $250-$280 by watching it sit all summer...I can't not do that..

One I buy alot of my wood by the one ton load "mine" for 60.00 and Two the same guy sells split delivered "must take 2 cord" for 120.00 per cord. How can you beat that? Like you said let it sit for a season double your money. Try that in a bank.

I'm moving to CA! lol
Here in lower CT - $225 a cord hardwoods. 200 softwoods. 150 a cord picked up. 125 a cord when unemployed in summer. lol

I paid $175.00 delivered in the beginning of February. I hated doing it, I had 3 cords rounds on the grounds and 1 cord split and stacked but nuthin dry. I'll do better this year. If it looks like you have enough,,,split another cord.

$325 plus delivery in the Twin Cities. It took until mid January to sell out, but in the end, just shy of two hundred cords left the lot.

WS

Latest posts

Back