What do you pay for wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the Rick

I don't buy my wood nor do I sell wood . I cut my own wherever I can find it.
The local paper has ads during late fall and winter and the average price for Oak - delivered and stacked is $65.00 a rick.

A rick is supposed to be 4 x 8 feet and I don't know what length these guys are cutting the rounds. Some ads quote a lesser price if picked up at the stump.

Nosmo

I get 100 bucks for a FULL chord, mixed, split, hardwood, you haul. Delivery costs vary. I'd rather NOT delivery, as it isn't as profitable.

And I'm on the higher end of pricing, here. Some of the ole timers are still delivering full chords for 80 bucks. I can't and don't compete with these fellas. There's plenty of other customers out there.

375 - plus 13% tax starting July 1 here in Toronto east area. Always guys advertising cheaper on kijiji and craigs list. Not sure how the tax will fly with cutomers. Tax was 5% and I was willing to eat it at that rate. Can't afford to absorb 13%.

are you serious ? they heavily tax firewood ? i would never pay more than 150 per cord but wow that is just plain insane ,i think i would be moving :jawdrop:

yep - no kidding 13%. Home heating used to be mostly exempt. The only good thing for small business is that it is an end user tax. For example if I buy logs for $100 a cord I pay the logger $113.00. I then sell processed for $200 plus $26.00 tax for $226. I only have to submit $13 tax to government and get to keep the $13 that I paid for the logs. I also get credit for tax paid on fuel/equipment costs etc.

In reality the firewood business around here is generally a cash business. Most loggers prefer to be paid in cash and most end user customers expect to pay in cash with no tax and no receipt.

Here in central Ohio I sell my cords of hardwoods (red/white oak, hickory, elm) for 120$ or 130$ delivered in the winter. But during summer time i sell it for 110$ or 120$. Or 500$ for five cords in the summer. Plus when delivered my cords equal more than 4x4x8. Some of these prices are extreme.

I pay about $25.00 in fuel cost plus my time but I don't count that as I love being in the woods. If I take the trailer I bring back about 1.5 cords or a bit more:) But seriously I have seen some sellers here asking $450.00 to $500.00 for a Full cord of Pine.Yet you can find some small operators that say fill your truck for $50.00 to $75.00 Remember are dollar is equal now too.
No hard wood here all Pine/Spruce and some Poplar.The best is Birch and fir I will take Fir over Birch any day but my cost to drive there goes way up.

Here in central Ohio I sell my cords of hardwoods (red/white oak, hickory, elm) for 120$ or 130$ delivered in the winter. But during summer time i sell it for 110$ or 120$. Or 500$ for five cords in the summer. Plus when delivered my cords equal more than 4x4x8. Some of these prices are extreme.
I will take 5 cord you say you deliver lol:)

$200

Wow some of you guys sell wood too cheep. I get $200 per cord and $120 per half cord. This is seasoned hard wood. In my area wood sells for $180 to $300 per cord seasoned. I live in a yuppy town so I have no problem getting those prices. I even sell some buldles to the people with $800,000 homes that don't want a cord of wood taking up space.

Here on Maui kiawe goes for 400- 450 a cord, 225 for a half cord.There's a guy selling it for 150 per truckload but I don't know if he's a bull####ter or not.
Remember gas is about the highest in the nation here, pretty much everything is more expensive, except fresh fruit and :spam:.good local beef too!

One of the reasons I sell my firewood so low is because I am getting it for free. I live here in central Ohio on a family farm we have had for about 100 years. We have close to 600 acres and bout 250 of that is woods. All our woods are set up to grow hardwood timber. So when ever we cut a timber tree I use the rest of the tree for firewood. Oh and recently we started clearing a half mile fenc row full of white oak so I have about 500 trees that needed to be taked out haha. Trying to get some pictures up of the fence row and the equipment I have been using.

Closest I've come to paying for firewood was trading a water heater for a cord of ash one March when I was running out. I,ve been very lucky at finding wood. The local (Rensselaer County) ads I see are anywhere from $150-180 green, split and delivered to $180- 250 seasoned .

Here, cords of green spruce are $250 a cord delivered. Cords of mixed beach wood (driftwood) mostly spruce, some red cedar, alder, hemlock, ???, soaking wet sell for $275-300. I sell dry spruce for $250 split stacked and delivered. All firewood here has to be harvested from blowdowns or below the tideline, no motorized vehicles allowed. I have to pull rounds out in a plastic sled sometimes 1/2 mile from the road. Tons of work that most people don't want to do. With fuel oil at over $4 a gallon, and gasoline at $3.75 a gal. right now, about 50% of people are burning wood.

we sell split oak firewood for 220 a cord, and split mesquite and pecan for 240. that usualy comes with free delivery within X amount of miles, and so much for anything past that.

In Michigan, the farther north you go the cheaper the firewood gets. I don't know if anyone got the memo, but our economy isn't all that great right now so every out of work contractor with a pick-up and saw is on craigslist selling firewood. This summer, in my area, it is going for $40-$50/face cord for mixed hardwoods. Full cords are typically $110-$150. The price will go up about $10 per face cord in winter. While prices fluctuate a little, the quantity and quality between different firewood sellers varies dramatically. It seems the guys that stay in it year after year get about $150-$170 per cord and it is for good quality, seasoned wood, measured and cut @ 16" and they will not short the customer on quantity.

I cut what I can but I usually end up having to buy a cord or two. This year I got it around $190 a cord for seasoned hardwood, cut split delivered in eastern CT. Craigslist finds, gotta really look around to get those prices though. I already have at least 3 cords cut for next year but not split yet and some more down that I still have to cut and slit so I'm hoping to not have to buy any next year.

Before I started cutting my own wood, I was paying $50 per "truck load" to a family friend who cuts a little wood for extra cash. His truck loads averaged between 1/2 and 2/3 of a full cord of mixed hardwoods. Only problem is most of it wasn't quite as seasoned as I would have liked at the time. Still, it is hard to beat the price.

Back