What do you take to the bush for a day out cuttng fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deleted member 83629
D

Deleted member 83629

truck and trailer.
log chains.
chainsaws.
sharpening kit and hand tools.
spare chains.
2.5 gallons of mix.
1 gallon of bar oil.
spare spark plugs.
extra food and water.
cell phone.
sears and roebuck single shot 20 gauge.
spare tire.
survival blanket and kit in case of problems.
two cans of grizzly wintergreen.
I carry all this in my truck at all times except for the trailer which is only used when im hauling wood or the mower.

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
No one brings brewskis? Road sodas? Ice cold daddy-pops? Snow cones? Keith Stone's saw is always running smooth.

Although when the weather is cold, a bit thicker barley-pop is in order.
now thats a recipe for disaster, before of after, before or during, it could help you cut your leg off or later, make you run off the road on the way home!

DrewUth

DrewUth

Jack of all trades, master of none.
A come-a-long and some cable to compliment the essentials (tools, oil/fuel, wedges, hatchet and a small bow saw). Oh and a nice pair of leather gloves.

CascadeHusky

CascadeHusky

ArboristSite Operative
now thats a recipe for disaster, before of after, before or during, it could help you cut your leg off or later, make you run off the road on the way home!

Not getting enough sleep "could help you cut your leg off".

"Sorry guys, cant run my saw today I only got 5 hours of sleep instead of my desired 7.5-8 hours."

If you can't drink a couple 'stones without turning into a self-destructive child drinking spiked punch at a party, then you shouldn't.

However, save the holier-than-thou "you'll cut your leg off and crash" spiel. Just bc you're afraid of your own shadow doesn't mean we all need to be.

Big_Wood

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller

"Sorry guys, cant run my saw today I only got 5 hours of sleep instead of my desired 7.5-8 hours."

If you can't drink a couple 'stones without turning into a self-destructive child drinking spiked punch at a party, then you shouldn't.

However, save the holier-than-thou "you'll cut your leg off and crash" spiel. Just bc you're afraid of your own shadow doesn't mean we all need to be.

i didn't mention alcohol because of some guys here. i always have a 15 in the truck wherever i go lol i don't drink 15 though. usually one before i start and one when finished. sometimes i'll drink the whole 15 if i bring a buddy and the wood trailer :)

Woos31

Woos31

Addicted to ArboristSite
The MS 460 with either 32" or 36" b/c, gas/oil, wedge pouch with saw wrench in with wedges, ax, maul, and my 4 yr old boy for free labor when I cut on our place. If I go to the national forest I also take necessary food and water and wood permits, you get popular real quick if you forget those little ba$!@*ds

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak

If you think being under the influence of drugs is a winner when using potentially dangerous tools or driving down a public road then that's great for you, down our way most insurance policies are null & void if your found to be under the influence of drugs & you're automatically at fault in any accident in the eyes of the law, I used to be a bogan with redneck tendencies so I know what it's like to live on the other side of the line doing not so bright things
Fangst

CascadeHusky

CascadeHusky

ArboristSite Operative
If you think being under the influence of drugs is a winner when using potentially dangerous tools or driving down a public road then that's great for you, down our way most insurance policies are null & void if your found to be under the influence of drugs & you're automatically at fault in any accident in the eyes of the law, I used to be a bogan with redneck tendencies so I know what it's like to live on the other side of the line doing not so bright things
Fangst

4 things....

1. Your insurance company has to cover you, period. They could sue you and/or drop you after the fact, but that doesn't let them off the hook.

2. If you are under the influence after 24 or 36 ounces of cheap light american beer(ideal after hard work on a hot day), then yes, you shouldn't be drinking. Most people aren't.

3. If you lack the cognitive ability to make decent decisions(before or after drinking said swill), then you probably should stick to simple rules such as "x.x hours from bottle to throttle"

If you have a bit of situational awareness, a beer after cutting and before driving on public roads is an enjoyable and 100% legal undertaking.

4. Thats all you'll hear from me on this thread, we're sidetracking an otherwise nice thread.

LRains

LRains

ArboristSite Member
Ms362 my go to saw the MS661 for the big stuff and always a hand axe, of course these three amigos. A homer box full of half the stuff I don't really need two gallons of fuel and a gallon of bar oil with plenty of water and two PBR's for the end of the day !! Best Motrin I can find.

image.jpg

Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
I never know how long I'll be in the woods. Sometimes all day long. So I take plenty of water, a few snacks, sandwich, and a couple of Pepsi's. and I try not to forget my cell phone. It can sure come in handy once in a while.
Try not to forget taking my bag of 150' rope. With trees close together, I can have some good hang ups. I have lots of underbrush to deal with too. I dare not forget my wedges, and a hatchet to drive them with. And that's just the extras to throw in with the necessities.
IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0026.JPG break.jpg

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Wow, some of you guys really work hard for your wood. If I can't drive my truck/trailer up next to the log, I'll leave it lay. Sure not going to haul it out with a wheelbarrow. Most of my firewood comes from yard trees I take down so I typically have a vehicle within feet of where the tree is. If wood were that hard to acquire, I may reconsider my method of heating the house and shop.
I do enjoy splitting wood with a maul and busted up some rounds this morning for a little exercise.