What do you think of these two loads?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, we finally got started cutting this year's wood. What do you think of these loads after one day of cutting. (The third truck load took off before we took the pictures!)
The "camo" is my Son's new (free) wood hauler. That beast will haul wood, but top speed is about 55 mph!!

1stload.jpg

Thats quite a load in each truck.Thats got to be a cord in each truck,or very close to it.I like the free truck! is it the 6.2 diesel? I think he needs to add a little air in the rr tire if hes gunna carry 3500 lb loads of wood.:D

If that is green wood you have some serious weight in there. Doesn't look like you want to mess around making trips.

Don

Sweet, all done in a day.

That camo chevy must be a C20 camper special from the factory, the sheetmetal is still riding high above the axle. Does it have a wood bed?

Some real workhorses in that timeframe, unless you get T'boned.

Wdchuck,

My guess is that it is ex military. I think they built them with all the heavy duty options.

Don

If that were the case, then it may well be a 1-ton, even with single rear wheel, with high gears and that would explain the low speed maximum.

Heck of a stump puller then.

Sweet, all done in a day.

That camo chevy must be a C20 camper special from the factory, the sheetmetal is still riding high above the axle. Does it have a wood bed?

Some real workhorses in that timeframe, unless you get T'boned.

Its probably a diesel,so even a T bone wont blow it up...just make a mess.

If that were the case, then it may well be a 1-ton, even with single rear wheel, with high gears and that would explain the low speed maximum.

Heck of a stump puller then.

Yup, it's a CUCV - army term for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle. Military rated at a ton and a quarter, basically a 1 ton non dually with a 6.2 and a TH400 trans. I'd like to get my mitts on one.

Top speed should be closer to 80, they kept up pretty well with our M915 tractor trailers when I was in the army, that 6.2 must be tired...

Yup, it's a CUCV - army term for Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle. Military rated at a ton and a quarter, basically a 1 ton non dually with a 6.2 and a TH400 trans. I'd like to get my mitts on one.

Top speed should be closer to 80, they kept up pretty well with our M915 tractor trailers when I was in the army, that 6.2 must be tired...

Steve,
You hit the nail exactly on the head with this truck. It will do over 55, but the motor is doing some serious rev's! :)
BTW, when he got the truck it sat for many years, we just put a couple of batteries, some oil, and a new filter, and it started right up. The transmission had a leak, but it was fixed with a $14 seal and some self induced labor.
He also got another truck almost like it but it was burned out and about the only thing good on it were the axles, bumpers, grill guard, and transmission.
What I cannot figure out is that the military only ran 45 TPI in the back tires.

Nice loads.

Your son got a heck of a score on that truck. See them on craigs list from time to time usually priced around 3500 bucks. Geared low and they are slow but they will haul a bunch of weight.

get a turbo and manifolds off a 6.5 and turn the pump up......it will be a different truck.....

nice free truck!!

That must be some light wood. My 2500 chevy would be doing a wheelie if I was hauling that much green Oak.

CUCV's took forever to get up to 45mph in convoy and topped out around 50mph... Unless of course somebody accidentally dropped a paper clip and it accidentally got bent around some Governor parts. LOL!!!

You're right though, you could pack 'em full of anything and not even get the springs to creak, and the Amphibious kit actually works on 'em.

Colemans surplus has a gazillion parts, axles, and motors still, as well as whole trucks in decent shape.
I have been tempted a time or two just because of the capacity shown in that photo.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back