What do YOU use for tarps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Bushmans posted pics of some tarps he uses and it got me thinking, what different things could be used for tarps. What I was really looking at was the Bagster, Dumpster in a Bag. They are 4X8X30" deep. Look like they would last forever, and cost between 25 and 30 bucks pending on where you get them. Only problem for me, I cut my wood 18" and make my stacks 3 rows deep, that makes my pile at least 54" wide, won't quite fit. Another free tarp that will cover big piles is the 84 lumber tarps that cover inbound loads. I bought a couple skids of sakrete once and just as I got it on the trailer it started raining. I asked the guy what he had to cover it. He said go over to the dumpster and grab a piece of tarp out of there. I grabbed the first piece I could reach and pulled it out. I had to fold it about six times to get it small enough to cover my little trailer, 4'X5". I used it for several years before the wood started to shred it, but it was free, Joe.

+1 on the free lumber tarps. I also get old worn out tent material from a couple of party tent rental places, also free. Just cut to whatever size needed.

The local Co-Op covers the ground bins in a heavy duty "tyvek" like tarp that I use on the roof and walls of my wood shed. Tough as nails and lasts. Most times it comes in giant sheets and cuts like a dream with just a pocket knife. View attachment 316399View attachment 316400

I have three rolls of 8 mil plastic from building homes.. i just roll some out and cut to fit.. use it till it falls apart.. then toss it and start over... I do have space for one cord under roof.. but need space for 7 more.. heck i would prefer to have space for ten cords...

I still need to build a woodshed, but in the interim, I started using these tarps from Northern Tool. I like that they only cover the top and leave the sides open for exposure to the sun and wind. I have some of the 4 x 18's and the 6 x 24's. Also, they are priced quite reasonably.

Wood Pile Tarps | Tarps + Tarp Accessories | Tarps, Canopies + Shelters | Northern Tool + Equipment

I've been eyeballin' the 8x32, the price is right. I have one of my stacks covered with 4 mil black poly, reinforced with duct tape and stapled to the stack. That's covered with an old blue tarp to protect from UV.

Just recently purchased a used billboard tarp 14'x48' for $70 (110 shipped). Bifurcated lengthwise, one side covered 8 cords 4 rows deep. Halved the other side to cover two separate 4 cord 4 row deep stacks. Grommeted every 3' and used electric fence wire to tether to the pallets the wood is on. We'll see how long it lasts. The other 9 cords are single stack rows and don't get covered except for wood for immediate use (roof tin lengths).

I've been using the heavy duty brown tarps from Lowes. I still need to build a wood shed though, but these work ok. I tried heavy plastic, but it tends to get brittle when it's cold, and breaks.

I use used billboard material for tarps also. So far I like them. I will never purchase another tarp (typical plastic tarp, even the heavy duty) for covering firewood again.
Going on three years old for the billboard material. So far it's holding up nicely.

Good ole rubber roofing. Last forever, and doesn't flap in the wind.

I picked up half a dozen old 48x24 billboard add tarps from the back of the billboard maintenance tuck for 5 bucks a piece. Extremely heavy duty and water tight!

While I do have a bunch of those vinyl tarps I don't use them to cover my main stacks. I think they may be to "covering" if you will. I have been wanting to build some type of woodshed but I just don't like the way it will look on my property. I only have one acre and I want to be able to store several years (up to 7) worth of firewood. These tarps are only used for this winters burning. I move wood from my main stack down to my patio, right outside the garage door, and cover it.
I did see some steel roofing on CL yesterday. 10'x3' for $16. Might have to look into some of those for covering my stacks. Which by the way are 200 foot long and run almost the entire length of my north property line.

The only way my firewood gets a "cover" over it is when I move it into the basement...
Dad keeps a small (4X4) stack on his porch under the overhang, otherwise ain't no cover.

IMO tarps and covers are a huge PITA... they come loose, blow off, tear, fray and generally pizz ya' off.
At most I'll lay some old planking on top of one stack just in case I don't have enough in the basement to last all season... but I don't always even do that. Old planking and boards don't flop around in the wind, come loose or blow off, and they don't promote condensation... but they do keep snow and ice off the top.

I cover my open piles that are to be used for that burning season...in late fall. Yes it is a pain, but it keeps that unexpected ice, rain, snow off your pile when your stock runs out under roof. In my case, I only have to mess with it 1 or 2 times a season. I just get a HF silver tarp and replace it every year. They are cheap and if held down so they don't flap, will last a whole season easily. Wet, frozen, ice and snow covered wood sucks.

Back