What do you use to seal a clamshell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Loctite #1 gasket sealant and Loctite 515 gasket. both have worked for me on numerous gas and high heat applications. Loctite 515 can also be used for many other fuels besides gas.

Downside to Loctite #1 is i don't know if it is available anymore and it gets a bit hard when cured.

Thanks for the input. It specifically states fuel resistance on it. Hasn't let me down yet. I've been using it to seal cylinders to cases as well. Maybe it will lead to failure down the road, but I haven't had any issues thus far.
Just curious, but what is Yamabond made of?

It also states,

Not recommended for use on head gaskets or parts in contact with gasoline.

Not worth the risk IMO

Thanks for the input. It specifically states fuel resistance on it. Hasn't let me down yet. I've been using it to seal cylinders to cases as well. Maybe it will lead to failure down the road, but I haven't had any issues thus far.
Just curious, but what is Yamabond made of?
Actually I thought that too until I read the package again - it only states oil resistance, says nothing about fuel.

I'm no expert, this is the Yamabond that was recommended to me to use when I put my Ropers back together.

DSCN8097.jpg

DSCN8098.jpg

It has worked fine thus far. I did get tank worms that eventually shook out from where the excess squeezed into the wet side of the tank, but haven't had any leaking issues on my Ropers yet.

"Tank Worms"

DSCN8564_zps34252d6b.jpg

Old thread here I know, but figured its the right spot...

I just put a poulan clamshell back together using yamabond. I tried putting it on thinly (both sides) but I worry it still might have squeezed out some into the crankcase. How bad is this if it did / is there a way to check for sure or take preemptive action to prevent damage if the squeeze out breaks loose? I don't KNOW that there was squeeze out but it just seems possible given the slight squeeze out seen on the exterior...

Back