What grinder to get to do stuff I can't do with my Apline Magnum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two Machine Stump Grinder!

Pete
I started my company with a second hand Carlton 4400-4 ( an Awesome Machiene BTW) after 10 years using it part time I purchased an upgrade in addition. I bought a Carlton 7015 W/wireless remote :msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

I found I had the opposite problem I had to turn away too many customers due to Odd locations or inaccessibility I solved this problem By purchasing an Alpine Magnum. There was one hell of a learning curve but with help from Kieth and lots of practice I am very efficient with both pieces. The small machine actually taught me a great deal about how to more efficiently operate the big one!

The Carlton is fairly spendy but with proper Markiting it is well worth the money I self financed with my ROI inside of 3 months

I have owned 2 carltons and a 1625 super Jr the Rayco is OK but its production is well less than 1/2 of either of my Carltons so I sold it.....it was barely faster than the Alpine Magnum once I learned how to run it! I carry the Magnum in the bed of my Pickup and tow the Carlton So I take 2 machines to every job!

So in closing I suggest a Remote control Carlton with a Sandvik Wheel ..... Hope this helps!

here is a video of a Carlton 4400-4 56hp duetch dsl. that I ran in Colorodo, the 3 stem coton wood in the picture took about 45min or so, I was impressed I have a 2500-4 with a weak 25 hp kohler, so it was no comparison, I liked the carlton 4012 video with the 44 hp kabota too, chipsaflyin has a 33 hp dsl 4012, would like to see it run too

View attachment 224368

View attachment 224369

Carlton 4400 diesel stump grinder with Greenteeth low pro cutters - YouTube

The jumpyness was cause of one handed so I could hold camera, oh and the big horn sheep in rutt didnt like the grinder lol
Paul

Fairbanks and ropeclimber,

Thanks for the replies, I am back on the mission. 3rd year grinding, more work than I can do with the apline alone. My wrist is surely in the beginning stages of something degenerative. I really need to get into a bigger grinder now. Problem is the cost of daycare and a garage i'm building now. I can't make enough money to cover the bills and leave me enough to splurge but I am killing myself trying to pay for this garage without a bank.

The bigger grinder is on my mind heavy though, joints r sufferin bastards.
I'll keep an eye out for Carlton 4000 series grinders.
Pete

Stump grinder to use with Alpine Magnum

I have a Alpine and a 55 HP diesel. It seems to be a good combination. I wouldn't recommend anything smaller. Also I have a good source for teeth on the Alpine only $3.50 each. If interested, give me a call (678) 873-3624

I have been grinding since i retired in 05, have owned a kubota tractor with shaver sc25 pto grinder, a sc252 vermeer and now a bandit 2150xp, have done thousands of stumps,,,the bandit has more than doubled my production over the 252 esp on the large stumps, it has hyd steering, direct drive, no clutch to mess with, oversize bearings, built super tough, and by taking off duals have not seen a stump i could not get to, the only thing i might want to change is i like the yellow jacket teeth better than the greenteeth, they seem to hold their edge longer and do not chip as easy, but that could just be because of the more hp on the bandit, it has the 38hp kohler big block, quite an engine....i paid 19300 out the door for it, have 84 hours on it now and it has half paid for itself.....if i needed a smaller machine for tight spots i would probably go with the alpine, but so far no need for it, i work in the country so most of my jobs are on larger lots with easy access, in the city on small lots would be a different story....

With the bandit no stump will intimidate you,,,,,just some thoughts...good luck...

Bob...:cheers:

If you ever try the sandvik teeth, you'll never want to use the Greenteeth OR the Yellow Jackets again. :)

I have been grinding since i retired in 05, have owned a kubota tractor with shaver sc25 pto grinder, a sc252 vermeer and now a bandit 2150xp, have done thousands of stumps,,,the bandit has more than doubled my production over the 252 esp on the large stumps, it has hyd steering, direct drive, no clutch to mess with, oversize bearings, built super tough, and by taking off duals have not seen a stump i could not get to, the only thing i might want to change is i like the yellow jacket teeth better than the greenteeth, they seem to hold their edge longer and do not chip as easy, but that could just be because of the more hp on the bandit, it has the 38hp kohler big block, quite an engine....i paid 19300 out the door for it, have 84 hours on it now and it has half paid for itself.....if i needed a smaller machine for tight spots i would probably go with the alpine, but so far no need for it, i work in the country so most of my jobs are on larger lots with easy access, in the city on small lots would be a different story....

With the bandit no stump will intimidate you,,,,,just some thoughts...good luck...

Bob...:cheers:

Back