What have you bought that you did not need/use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did buy this IH crawler that was pretty worn. It worked great in the snow but during the summer on the rocky road it did not. One particular day decide the thing to do was load her up with a good load and hang on. The tracks were all steel and produced zero grip on the rocks. I was sliding much faster than that thing could ever go and ended at the bottom of the hill terrified. I worked so hard on that thing to make it work but I ended up cutting it apart for metal. Pretty worthless. Thanks

I bought one of those log lift/timberjack things. Very first time I took it out to use it I decided it was more of a PITA to use than any benefit it gave.

I've also got one of those Monster Mauls, which I did use for one year's firewood duty until I bought my hydraulic splitter. I actually took it out to the woodlot last week to give it a couple of swings and remembered why I stopped using it. It was more brutal than I even remembered, LOL

Yeah Sandhill thanks for reminding me. I have enough equipment for 5 guys to run. Put 2000 kms on my work truck this week so only equipment of my own was running the tractor to move snow this morning. Pic of my pull back blade this morning. Newest pusher blade. Bought two and sold one on the way home.

Attachments

• 20210206_101808.jpg
    20210206_101808.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210129_171044.jpg
    20210129_171044.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210129_101511.jpg
    20210129_101511.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
Heres one - For 50.00 I bought a 10 hp craftsman track drive snowblower - threw the blower part away, it was kind of shot anyway - I mounted a trailer ball where the blower was, making a power trailer dolly. Hope was it would move my Eastonmade splitter from pile to pile etc - On flat dry ground it works o.k. - Up a grade or bad traction i'ts no go. Splitter is just too heavy. So, mostly the dolly sits under a shed waiting to get repurposed into something else. Theres no moving an Eastonmade around without a power source - They are just plain heavy.
Here's an update on this - I sold the power dolly for 100.00 to a guy that wanted the 10 hp engine, went and bought a Steiner tractor to move the Eastonmade around. I needed a new mower anyway...................

Pictures...
Don't the Eastonmade come with Steiners as an option?
Trying to find a new gear box for our ten year old Ariens Delux 30 today. Front augers stopped spinning. Split the case and the main gear is trashed, probably from a worn rear seal. Seems to be a sacrificial part by design. Case and shaft assembly $212.00 Always used sheer pins on the front augers. Went through several every year from small branches or dog bones buried in the snow. Just don't have the budget for a tractor this year after buying the dump trailer. Online parts place opens up at 8:00. If I can't find a gear box a new, similar replacement Ariens would be $2,400. today. ($1,267.00 Dec. 2010.) Then we will just hire someone to plow the rest of this season, and maybe a tractor in the fall. No grass to mow but the pto could run a processor.

Pictures...
Don't the Eastonmade come with Steiners as an option?
Trying to find a new gear box for our ten year old Ariens Delux 30 today. Front augers stopped spinning. Split the case and the main gear is trashed, probably from a worn rear seal. Seems to be a sacrificial part by design. Case and shaft assembly $212.00 Always used sheer pins on the front augers. Went through several every year from small branches or dog bones buried in the snow. Just don't have the budget for a tractor this year after buying the dump trailer. Online parts place opens up at 8:00. If I can't find a gear box a new, similar replacement Ariens would be $2,400. today. ($1,267.00 Dec. 2010.) Then we will just hire someone to plow the rest of this season, and maybe a tractor in the fall. No grass to mow but the pto could run a processor.
Older Ariens blowers are some of the best walk-behinds ever built IMO, definetely worth repairing it. There's a few used ones sitting around on marketplace that would probably get you through a season or 2 without breaking the bank if you're like me and hate to rely on someone else to keep your driveway cleaned out.

HF Chain Grinder. The one time I used it, I did ten chains that really weren't so dull that hand filing wouldn't have cleaned up. The time spent just wasn't worth it, I dont really cut so much that I dull them so bad, I hand file a couple of strokes per cutter and drink a beer about every fill -up. The last chain I ruined took only the left side teeth on a nail or something, so it was re-cycled, VERY fortunate i dont cut street trees anymore. Come to think of it, the chain got ruined on a telephone pole I was re-using for a pole barn.

I usually post pictures of the stuff I am doing, or using. But, as I almost never use any of this list; I have no pictures.

• Timber Tuff Tongs - a gift that hangs on a nail in my shed. It's still shiny on the points
  • A scabbard to mount a saw on my tractor or ATV. It was a super sale at Cabela's, but I have never mounted it, never used it, never missed it.
  • A pickaroon that I carefully brought back to life with a new handle and some cleaning and sharpening. But, I find I must need more practice. I either strike too lightly and risk the wood falling off, or strike too hard and then have to battle to make it let go. Anyway, it hangs in my shed as tribute to my restoration work, but never gets pulled out of the hanging hole.

About 250’ of new 1/2” chain, 100’ of new 3/8” chain. Three chain hoists for splitting tractors. Steel for 3pt hitch grapple frame or my Jeep.

I was snapping old chain skidding logs with my truck snapping them that was unsafe.

A Northern Tool cant hook with a log lifter. The log lifter is pretty useless and the cant hook is not that great either. Its sat in the barn until recently. I got a forestry winch for the tractor and my good cant hook won't fit in the winches' holder but the Northern one does. I cut the brackets for the log lifter off the Northern one and sharpened the hook point some. it's less useless now but still is nowhere near the Woodchuck Dual.

Latest posts

Back