What I Found In The Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a beauty of a day. I put the collar on The Used Dog and we went out the door for a walk in the "neighborhood." There are gated, private timberland roads that make for good walks and workouts.

Anyway, we walked for about a mile or so past the gate, saw what I wanted to see and started back. At a road junction, I saw a guy in an orange vest hunkered down. I was hoping he was a forester, because I had a question about uprooted stumps all over one end of a unit.

I don't usually wear my glasses on walks, so I had to get close to see that he was not a forester, but a hunter. He had a very worried look on his face, and asked me which way was "the asphalt." It took my slow brain a moment to figure that one out. He then said he was lost, and needed to get back to a paved road. He then named the road. He'd taken off without his daypack, and his compass was in the daypack. The area is relatively flat, and you can't see very far because the trees are too tall.

I had him walk with me. It was 3/4 of a mile to the pavement, and I pointed which way he needed to walk to get back to his starting point. He thanked me profusely, and we went our separate ways.

I still have a question for the forester of that area. :(

I guess I can see how it can happen. Flat ground, I'm assuming gray fall day so not a strong clue from the sun. Mythbusters a few weeks ago had a fascinating segment one part of which was wearing five-gallon buckets over your head to simulate walking in a snowstorm or dense fog situation (lets you see your feet and the immediate area you're walking so you don't trip, but you can't line up landmarks).

Not that I've ever been lost.

A few times I arrived back at my truck WAAAAYYY later then I planned. :hmm3grin2orange:

And I've arrived unexpectedly at coordinates that were not on my original plan.

Besides I'm stubborn enough if someone in an official looking uniform came up on me in the woods and declared they found me, I'd inform them to come back in a day or two, by then I might have decided I'm lost, but for right now I'm fine thank you very much.

There was that one morning I did wake up and I knew where I was. I knew where my truck was. I just wasn't sure how to get from point A to point B. But that's not lost, that's just called being hungover.

Last edited:
never lost, may not know where i'm going, but always know where i've been.:msp_wink:

Back