What is a cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Certainly would be impossible where I live. Having to run every load over a scale would add 50 miles of driving and it'd have to be during the working day, when the scale is open, not in the evening, when most wood is delivered. Not a snowball's chance in hell that'd happen around here.
Yes, sarcasm, hence the rolling eyeballs.

man... if you wanted to actually make this whole weights and measure by species a real thing... pretty sure a bunch of goiter ridden good ole boys might find a windfall stump just for you. the logistics alone would drive a guy batty, let alone the mileage its not like there are certified scales everywhere.
Sarcasm, but I see from another post that I left out moisture content as a factor. :crazy2::crazy2:

I use full cord, or 128 cu. ft., or fraction 1/3, 1/2 cord.
As for seasoned, I state seasoned one year after cut/split.
Is it seasoned? Look at it and judge for yourself prior to buying.
Do I use a moisture meter? No, but you are welcome to.
Once past all that, them having declined looking at it, or coming out first hand,
I convert cu. ft. to cu. in. and stack in the trailer.
Snap a chalk line on the inside of the trailer. 16" splits; 82" wide trailer; 42" high; 4 rows is a cord, 8 rows is two cord.
It has weighed out at 7,700 payload for two cord seasoned Oak. I was curious, as green Oak is charted at 5,800/cord.
128 cu. ft./cord
1,728 cu. in./cu.ft.
221,184 cu. in./cord
82" (width of trailer) x 64" x X (height?) = 221,184 cu. in. (64" is 16" split length x 4 rows)
5,248 X = 221,184
X = 42.1463" high
A half cord is two rows 28" high.
Each row turns out to be one pallet bundled with the PackFix. If someone picks up wood that's what I go by, a pallet being 1/4 cord, based on having stacked a hundred and fifty plus pallets in the trailer. So regardless of truck bed length/height or trailer size it's almost spot on, within a gas station bundle or three, plus or minus. I help load but half of them are heaped up to where I would not drive down the road, with splits heaped above the side of the box. That's just me. I also cover each load. When I was in high school, a pregnant woman was killed, impaled while driving, by a loose 2" x 4" from an on coming pickup truck. Hard to forget that..
Photo: 2 cord load or 8 pallets.
IMG_6269.jpgIMG_7971.jpg

I agree. But, no one enforces it. Most ads are some version of truckload or trailer load.Sellers won't specify volume. This summer I bought what was sold as a 3 cord load from a long established seller. Ended up with just over 2 cords. When I notified him he said it weighed 7,000 #s. Three cords would be well over that. He ended up saying "Buy from someone else".....and I have since.
That's when you get the PA Dept of AG involved. If you are a buyer in PA the seller is required to give you a receipt describing the sale. I don't know any sellers that do, myself included.

No one has yet described a actual cord of wood. I’ve worked in the woods more than 40 years. A cord of wood is 4x4x8 in 8 ft length. 128 cubic feet of wood and air. If you cut and split that cord and stack it in a tight pile it will no longer be a 128 cubic feet. If you stack it very loosely it will be more then 128 cubic feet. If you were able to take a tightly stacked pile of 128 cubic feet and reassemble it into 8 ft logs it would be more then 128 cubic feet. If you take a 10 cord load of logs and cut split and tightly stack it in 128 cubic foot piles you’d be lucky to have 8 piles.

Errrrmm...no. Every time you split and repile tightly a stack of wood it will grow. As for a 10 cord load of logs stacking to 8cord, you got cheated. It should have restacked to almost 11 cord.

Now if you start with loosely piled stacks and pile tightly you will probably come out to about the same cord count.

A logger hauls loads of wood in 8 ft sometimes 16ft sometimes even tree length. Gets paid buy the cord. Some mills pay by weight, figuring average weight per cord of the species that’s delivered. The mill doesn’t cut and split the wood, stack it tight and then pay for adjusted volume. When loggers buy stumpage they pay so much based on a cord. If you buy a section you don’t figure out how many cords your buying then subtract 20% because someone down the road is going to cut split and stack it and expect the volume to stay the same. You get the same amount of wood, less air space.
Nope, everytime you split and restack you get more air space.

I think it’s funny how people say they’re selling a cord and show up with a half ton no sideboards…..that’s maybe a rick (face cord) for yanks @24”. Where I’m from people would hardly buy wood in cords for that reason because a rick is about all that will fit safely in a half ton, and unless they’re a processor or legit farmer they probably don’t have a one ton or a duece flatbed sitting around.

One is also selling 'by the cord' for 1/2 or 1/4 cord. One does not have to buy a full cord.

I had a friend that had OCD issues and we worked on is truck (Long wide box 1/2 ton 2wd 1976 F-150 "RED" for the sticklers). He was clearing a hillside pasture of bramble and chose to cut and sell the firewood from it. He was adamant that You cut the length at 16" and drive tee posts 12 feet apart (1/2 cord) Stack one row at 4 feet high and fill the area between posts. He (and his 2 boys) could stack that 1/2 cord in the pickup box and usually the load was level with the pickup box. Any thing above that was more than a 1/2 cord. I have some ocd but more LeadITeAss so it was easier to believe him than prove anything else.
The reason I replied to your post not the thread is on account of you mentioning "RICK" as being a 1/2 cord OF 24" LONG WOOD. 20 some years ago it wasn't easy for me to find the definition of a RICK of wood. I myself found it easier for conversation sake to refer it to a Face Cord at 16" (Third Cord) or a Face Cord at 24" (Half Cord). I always had it in my head as a rick is a half cord.

There is no legal definition of a rick. It can by any pile of something as long as It is only 1 item wice and contains a minimum of 3 pieces up to infinity. Bottom line, a rick is anything the seller wants to call it.

That's not

That's not a cord, that's a chord. Then you have a notochord which has nothing to do with music or wood. What would this cord sell for?
I think the entire firewood system should be completely overhauled. Value should be based on weight and species since available btu varies with species. Anyone selling firewood would have to use a certified scale to get the exact weight of the load and factor in the species to get the btu value of the load. Or not. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

but then one would also have to factor in the moisture content. That can effect the wight in some species by almost 50%

Man you better just buy one, you been waiting a while.
I don't want to hear you don't have the cash, you could trade one for an AR :p.
Your right I can afford one ....but don't need one , i will not trade for the a/r i only have one of those ....and sometimes waiting is best ........:)

Back