What is eating my firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdJohnson

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is in my firewood. Lots of holes and lots of saw dust. There are thousands of these and I am worried they will eat my structure and home if they are allowed to spread. Kinda look like wasp Larvae.

They look like bees...except more like larve...hmmm. Those carpenter bees look like black bumble bees...furry little buggers. Whatever they are the best thing to do is burn the logs with holes in them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what is in my firewood. Lots of holes and lots of saw dust. There are thousands of these and I am worried they will eat my structure and home if they are allowed to spread. Kinda look like wasp Larvae.

Wow! Creepy! I thought you were going to show a picture of some gnawed up applewood bark. The mice are tearing up the stash I have in my wood shed. The cat's put a small dent in the population though!

There are lots of varieties of longhorn beetles, mostly native and some "imported". Do a google search of longhorn beetles with your state and you should find some keying help. They seem to like distressed trees or dead wood with the bark on it, which is a good reason to get your firewood bucked, split and stacked in a covered spot as soon as you can. I've never heard of them going after dimensional lumber or structures.

I also have those bugs thru out my wood pile. They seem to go for the oak.

Back