What is it with firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm at the wood pile, either sawing logs, splitting or stacking, time seems to stand still. I can be out there for 5, 6 or 7 hours without taking a break and not really even realize how much time has gone by. I'll drink a couple quarts of water, maybe have a power bar or some other kind of snack along the way, but for the most part, I just move around and get things done. My mother-in-law tells me I'll die of heat stroke when I'm splitting wood in August when it's 95 degrees out. Those are the days I can drink a gallon of water and never need to pee!

A couple Decembers ago, we had a big ice storm and lost electricity for about two days. I had the stove going full tilt, my sister-in-law's family came over and we were all toasty warm the whole time: cooking food on the grill, beers chilling in the snow, etc. A great time!

Another thing comparable to splitting wood is reloading ammunition. When you can crank out a couple hundred nice shiny rounds in a night, all seems right with the world.

My mother-in-law tells me I'll die of heat stroke when I'm splitting wood in August when it's 95 degrees out. Those are the days I can drink a gallon of water and never need to pee!

You know, when I first got into doing firewood, I remember drinking 2 gals of water during a 8 hr period, it was hot, my teeshirt was drenched and smelling pretty manly. I got home and realized, with all that water down I had not went to take a piss.

So just to make sure things were working still (I had been picking up some pretty heavy logs, probably stupidly heavy to do alone...) I head upstairs and decide to take the little guy :)P) for a spin... nope nada. Hmmm i think, I try again. D'oh! Nada. I was getting a little concerned, until I saw the still pretty drenched teeshirt laying on the floor, and squeezed the sweatband i had around my head (I hate that stuff in my eyes... oy) and a lightbulb went off ;)

Obviously this required immediate attention, so I had the wife head out and get dinner and a 12 pack stat! Phew! Problem solved! ;)

Tes

Firewood Collection Syndrome

Firewood Collection Syndrome (FCS) is a highly contagious disease being investigated by the FDA, OSHA, and the National Disease Center. Nobody knows exactly what causes it and how many stages that the body goes through once contracted. No known cure has been discovered, but tentative results show that the only effective cure is for victims to move to Florida, southern Texas and California, and perhaps Arizona, assuming you can avoid mountainous areas.

Victims of FCS have been known to lose extensive sleep whenever a pile of unsplit logs are gathered and are within easy reach, whenever a dead tree is found that needs to be cut down, and whenever a live tree is blown down in a storm. The disease is exacerbated by the ownership of a high efficency wood stove or fireplace insert, two or more chainsaws, a log splitter, and a pickup truck. Possession of high-density dry logs, adequate kindling, and tinder only serves to spread the disease and worsen the symptoms.

Anyone exhibiting FCS should first contact a professional trained in in the treatment of nervous disorders and obsessions who can then provide professional advice. However, be advised that no known cure for the disease has been discovered, and once contracted, FCS is relentless and may be hereditary and transmitted to offspring.

Firewood Collection Syndrome (FCS) is a highly contagious disease being investigated by the FDA, OSHA, and the National Disease Center. Nobody knows exactly what causes it and how many stages that the body goes through once contracted. No known cure has been discovered, but tentative results show that the only effective cure is for victims to move to Florida, southern Texas and California, and perhaps Arizona, assuming you can avoid mountainous areas.

Victims of FCS have been known to lose extensive sleep whenever a pile of unsplit logs are gathered and are within easy reach, whenever a dead tree is found that needs to be cut down, and whenever a live tree is blown down in a storm. The disease is exacerbated by the ownership of a high efficency wood stove or fireplace insert, two or more chainsaws, a log splitter, and a pickup truck. Possession of high-density dry logs, adequate kindling, and tinder only serves to spread the disease and worsen the symptoms.

Anyone exhibiting FCS should first contact a professional trained in in the treatment of nervous disorders and obsessions who can then provide professional advice. However, be advised that no known cure for the disease has been discovered, and once contracted, FCS is relentless and may be hereditary and transmitted to offspring.

:cheers::cheers:

sense of accomplishment

The thrill of sharpening a saw that cuts smooth,fast with minimal pressure is a big thrill to me.Also knowing little tricks in hand splitting is fun/challenging/rewarding also.The exercise definitely is something that grounds me.Overall even with all the tools(chainsaws,splitters)its low tech kind of retro fun.Ah shucks look at what I just did.(as I beat my chest).Okay ,that might be going overboard.

I have to take exception to your analogy, the OP is clearly going through a FAD. :greenchainsaw:

I have to take exception to your analogy, the OP is clearly going through a FAD. :greenchainsaw:

Nah. Fads come and go. Like the hoola-hoop, swallowing live goldfish, bellbottoms, bobbysoxers, or grunge music.

FCS is a chronic condition. Save for relocating to Trinidad or some such other place, there is no escaping the symptoms.

Nope, FCS ain't no FAD.

Here, have some greenchainsaw smileys. On me. :greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

:)

Swallowing goldfish is a fad? Crap, my brother told me it'll never go out of style. :monkey:

but if you can catch a deer on foot you are one heck of a man!!

I used to know a guy in my reserve outfit who did that just to keep in shape. He ran them down and killed them with a knife. Half Navajo, IIRC.

A good man to have on your side in the event of social unpleasantries. ;)

I used to know a guy in my reserve outfit who did that just to keep in shape. He ran them down and killed them with a knife. Half Navajo, IIRC.

Mark, I think most of us here have been suffering from Firewood Collection Syndrome for about 30 years. Another thing I noticed about the disease is that it attacks vigorously right after any threat of severe weather and whenever climatologists predict harsh winters.

This year produced a classic outbreak of the disease, not seen in many years previous. Lower alternative fiuel prices tend to help keep FCS in check, but severe winter weather conditions in 2009-2010 suppressed that antidote.
:dizzy:

30yrs ? :jawdrop: Man, you guys are old. I'm only 20.

For the twentieth time.

Well, then, I guess I need to update this. I started collecting firewood in Connecticut back in 1975 and used it to fire an old imported "Franklin" stove that was a POS that I bought for $200 and sold three years later for $90.

I waited much too long. Stihl Sawing was already at work and so was Harry. Looks like you were as well. :cheers:

i have read--that the indians of various flavors,where in good enough shape--they ran down wild horses. then tamed them--

i have read--that the indians of various flavors,where in good enough shape--they ran down wild horses. then tamed them--

+1. In fact, the American Indians held their own "Olympics" for the youth of the tribe. They learned at an early age to run like the wind. Most were in excellent physical condition. They had to be in order to survive.

Latest posts

Back