What is junk and what isnt in chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TrogL said:
I'm in perfectly good health. This was originally 4pwr's thread and I kinda kidnapped it (sorry about that).

Sorry, my mistake. Must have missed that somewhere in the 56 responses I read.

I love these questions...it gives all of us a chance to put two bobs worh in simply on what we've used in the past...whicjh is,of course, the best recommendation to get!!
I cannot fault my Jonsered 2150...carry it round all day, fairly torquey and doesn't rattle you to death. I own 2 Stihls as well and my brother in law owns Huskys but downunder, the Jonsered's don't have the name as yet, so we're still getting them at excellent prices. My Jony, by the way, has Huskvarna/Jonsered Stamped on it, right near the word Sweden, so I don't think there's much difference, iots just that Husky have the name...down here, anyway. Good luck, mate.

I thought it only fair to let you fellows know what I finaly bought. I bought a Stihl 026. Am very happy with it.

asb151 said:
Congratulations! Now you need to sart thinking about your next saw!!... :)
Ummm, next two saws I would say, something like a 044 and an 088 to round it out :)

I think the 026 was a good choice. What I meant was that most people on this site are not satisfied with just one saw. There is always a "next one".

I know asb, I was just kidding. What you say is true though, I started off with an 029 then went to an 036, PM6, Husky 41, 028 then a 046, I am trying to get an 044 but keep getting out bid (but I have a limit I am willing to pay for a used saw) If I cant get a 044 I have been considering a new 372xp, I was trying to get a 670 for a while but those are getting hard to come by for a nice one.

lostone said:
I know asb, I was just kidding. What you say is true though, I started off with an 029 then went to an 036, PM6, Husky 41, 028 then a 046, I am trying to get an 044 but keep getting out bid (but I have a limit I am willing to pay for a used saw) If I cant get a 044 I have been considering a new 372xp, I was trying to get a 670 for a while but those are getting hard to come by for a nice one.

Yeh, I know you were kidding. I wanted to make sure 4PWR knew that I approved of his choice. Lostone if you want that 372XP you better move fast. I've noticed places that were advertising it just 4-5 weeks ago no longer have any. Its very near the end for that model.

I just bough my 365 a few weeks ago and I am already considering what might be next. Something in the 80 cc range perhaps. ;)

Its between the 372 and the 357, I need it like a hole in the head but you know what I mean already from the sounds of it, I haven't really had a chance to run the orange saws (pro models) and I would like to try one out.

lostone said:
Its between the 372 and the 357, I need it like a hole in the head but you know what I mean already from the sounds of it, I haven't really had a chance to run the orange saws (pro models) and I would like to try one out.

Based on the saws you have I don't think the 357 would do much for you. The 372 would be the choice. My friend has one and its fantastic. The 372XP's replacement (575XP) is almost 1.5 lbs heavier with about the same power and it costs a little more.

Well Old Man of 64, I am well over 75 and I cut that much wood or more each year. For several years, I used a Poulan Pro with no problems. I did buy Stihl chain for it though and that made it cut better than with those cheapy chains. I still have that Poulan and use it to 'trim' the frog hair and tiny branches off the Emery Oaks after I down them.

But, to cut the trees down I now use a Stihl 026 or my Stihl 360 Pro; as they are just good workhorses for the hard (dead) trees I'm cutting on a nearby ranch. And their weight alone, almost allows them to cut through a nice big limb or even a good sized trunk

As you get closer to my age, weight of that saw will become more and more a factor, I've had a couple hernia's to prove the stupidity of ignoring your age.

Bottom line is hey, try Homelite or Poulan Pro and if you are not happy with it, donate it to a friend, Goodwill, etc. the price is no big deal and who wants to leave it all to the kids anyway. ha!

Then 'once you get your' firewood legs and gain some experience with these nice small saws, you will probably do what I and everyone else does, you'll feel your oats and buy a nice used Stihl 026 on ebay and live happily ever after.

Latest posts

Back