What is the acceptable warm up time of a 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also today my rep. received a modification kit for all the 550xp he has sold, which consist of a new fuel tank vent + cap and a hose plug.
It looks like i have to remove the old vent plug and replace it with a new vent plug + cap.I need to cut the hose (that is connected to the original vent plug )and plug it.

and decrease the flywheel ignition module gap to 0.20 instead of 0.30

regds,
Jan

Hmm is this something I can get from my dealer? Why am I afraid to ask?

I checked all three inlets from the fuel solenoid. No fuel enters the passage where this needle is. However, it somehow affects the tune of the carb, similiarly to how an L needle does.

Its programmed to resist anything and everything when using a Stihl screwdriver!

Not a Carb guru either, but yes that needle does do something. At the house now, but hit the Walbro site with the carb number should show alot more and a flow diagram.

I checked all three inlets from the fuel solenoid. No fuel enters the passage where this needle is. However, it somehow affects the tune of the carb, similiarly to how an L needle does.

Possible it alters the main nozzle transition? Meaning changes when it opens up under low pressure.. That would explain the off idle adjustment.

Possible it alters the main nozzle transition? Meaning changes when it opens up under low pressure.. That would explain the off idle adjustment.

I was just thinking transition in general, three circuits all working together. curious to see what the reader says on a condition like this. Most likely not an error code, but we will never know till we know. Wondering what the fuel settings were and if a master reset would change those values.

Then we can get really picky as ask for theOP's carb and at module numbers in question along with the revision code for the software......................

I was just thinking transition in general, three circuits all working together. curious to see what the reader says on a condition like this. Most likely not an error code, but we will never know till we know. Wondering what the fuel settings were and if a master reset would change those values.

Then we can get really picky as ask for theOP's carb and at module numbers in question along with the revision code for the software......................

Just out of curiousity, what are the craziest numbers you've seen for fuel mix settings?

I have no problem with saws going the electronic route, it's the future and saws will eventually be more reliable and better performing over standard carbs. Just like how everybody is loving the "strato" engines now. What I see happening and this is the problem, is what happened in the early days of fuel injection before the feds got involved for our good....yes sometimes the feds can do something right.

I was talking to a husky dealer and he told me it was $1200 for the diagnostic equipment for the autotune saws. I don't even know if this includes all the models. I can see this playing out..... husqvarna makes their propriety software and plug, Stihl makes theirs, as does Dolmar, Echo etc. All different, all $1200+ a pop...never mind updates and if they decide to change the plug because they're not selling enough scanners. Oh btw, diag equipment won't be available to John Q Public, only certified dealers.

Then they'll switch to fuel injection, which Stihl has already done on a demo saw, and the manufactures won't even think about trying to make the injection saws backwards compatible with the existing scanner which will render all those scanners obsolete.

The feds essentially created this mess with their emission regs...just like in the auto industry. It made doing diagnostic work very expensive for independent garages or the DIY. The feds need to set a standard for these saws, aka OBDII, this way ONE standard scanner can be used for all saws and the software is designed to give out standardized codes for a given fault.

If they don't do that then we are witnessing the peak/good old days of tuning saws. This website will fade into obscurity...it will just be about people complaining about their dealers screwing them over.

Im not convinced easily that this AT technology is all that ready for the masses. More than enough threads to the contrary. This group here is likely but a small sampling of actual real world users, so problem rates may actually be much higher. Coupled with expensive diagnostic equipment, or lack of available diagnostic equipment, untrained or inexperienced dealers and you have a recipe for unhappy customers. A guy with a $700 saw thats hard to warm start still aint going to be happy regardless. It may well be the future but for now im glad the adjustable carb still exists. Im not worried about saving a pinch of fuel, or running at the most optimum rpm, more about getting some wood to the stove is whats important to me. Standing in the repair line at the Husky dealer, not so much. Just my thoughts.

Im not convinced easily that this AT technology is all that ready for the masses. More than enough threads to the contrary. This group here is likely but a small sampling of actual real world users, so problem rates may actually be much higher. Coupled with expensive diagnostic equipment, or lack of available diagnostic equipment, untrained or inexperienced dealers and you have a recipe for unhappy customers. A guy with a $700 saw thats hard to warm start still aint going to be happy regardless. It may well be the future but for now im glad the adjustable carb still exists. Im not worried about saving a pinch of fuel, or running at the most optimum rpm, more about getting some wood to the stove is whats important to me. Standing in the repair line at the Husky dealer, not so much. Just my thoughts.

plenty AT in use regular in the woods with no problems whatsoever, and plenty of users not ready for any change. Not bashing, mind you, but since i like real world experience, and hearing some of that firsthand here on AS i will share. Nevermind you did not ask- my apologies. I own two AT saws and like many was resistant to the change, but looking how smart lmbrkid is with technology and her interest in saws sparked my interest in change and growth. Neither saw has started for other people. Let me repeat, neither saw has started for otheres. I never had a problem, as i understand the switch function. I have no doubt there are some actual problems, but to a large degree, the masses on here are not pro users, or at least the thread are not representative of that- i mean, how many hundred pages exist about how to use different sharpening rigs, or what oil to use. I realise some laugh at these threads, but many soak it in best they can, and work hard to understand chain sharpening and mixing fuel&oil.

My dealer had sold over five dozen AT last time i checked in, which was months ago. He indicated no charge to hook up my saw, and if there ever is a problem he cant fix, he will give me a new saw. Is it true? Who knows, but i sure as heck will report here if i have to test his word. Some great people here on AS have offerred to read the saw no charge also. Hats off to those of you :msp_thumbup: The diagnostic tool might be expensive now, but that is temporary. If it stays too expensive they will be sorry as another manufacturer will pounce. Rememberall the bit#### about OBD and how expensive it would be? Now you can buy one for 1/4 the cost of a tank of fuel, and print out the instructions and parts list for a repair, or go to a parts house, they do it for free hoping to sell the parts.

My 550 uses half the fuel of my ported 346. Half adds up quick at $5/gallon fuelmix to a guy who uses his saw any amount. Not long and the cost of the saw is covered. Cost of the 550xp shoud be one side or the other of $500. I just ordered one with heat for a shade over $500.

I say some refuse change and will be left behind.

-rant over, at least for now. My apologies if it seems personal, it is intended as discussion. There is some great discussion and info in this thread, which is why i am here :cheers:

No apologies needed my friend, your civility indicates to me that you are a respected and educated man. The fact that you own a couple AT's certainly trump my on hand experience. Still very hard to ignore the reviews, posts, comments, questions pertaining to AT both the good and the bad. Getting left behind would only be temporary for anyone, could catch up by purchasing one i suppose.

I have no problem with saws going the electronic route, it's the future and saws will eventually be more reliable and better performing over standard carbs. Just like how everybody is loving the "strato" engines now. What I see happening and this is the problem, is what happened in the early days of fuel injection before the feds got involved for our good....yes sometimes the feds can do something right.

I was talking to a husky dealer and he told me it was $1200 for the diagnostic equipment for the autotune saws. I don't even know if this includes all the models. I can see this playing out..... husqvarna makes their propriety software and plug, Stihl makes theirs, as does Dolmar, Echo etc. All different, all $1200+ a pop...never mind updates and if they decide to change the plug because they're not selling enough scanners. Oh btw, diag equipment won't be available to John Q Public, only certified dealers.

Then they'll switch to fuel injection, which Stihl has already done on a demo saw, and the manufactures won't even think about trying to make the injection saws backwards compatible with the existing scanner which will render all those scanners obsolete.

The feds essentially created this mess with their emission regs...just like in the auto industry. It made doing diagnostic work very expensive for independent garages or the DIY. The feds need to set a standard for these saws, aka OBDII, this way ONE standard scanner can be used for all saws and the software is designed to give out standardized codes for a given fault.

If they don't do that then we are witnessing the peak/good old days of tuning saws. This website will fade into obscurity...it will just be about people complaining about their dealers screwing them over.

You are 100% correcct on the folly of different propietary scanners and tools and cables, etc. Total nonsense if they go that route.

[video=youtube_share;zFo0icMDCH4]http://youtu.be/zFo0icMDCH4[/video]
Hard to argue with that Brad, it's a tapered needle with a seal. That was not designed as a clean out plug as there are plenty of cheaper ways to do that, and you only need the o-ring if it is intended to be used unseated. The question is what does it do? I gotta believe that port you put the wire in is the inlet - it's pulling clean air in from in front of the choke plate.

If you spray carb cleaner in it with the needle installed but not seated where else does it come out (other than at your eye, that always happens)?

I suspect it's an adjustable air corrector jet feeding the fuel well. Whatever it does, the system should compensate for it when it is running in feedback mode (WOT), so it would effect only idle and part throttle.

Given what you showed, if I had one that was not working well at idle I would not hesitate to play with that trim, after carefully noting the position it started in.

Last edited:
The diagnostic tool is well under 200 retail. This is part of the problem, crazy misinformation. Also the tool is backward compatible with most of the current auto Husky systems, not all but most.

I've still seen no proof the autotune is at fault with this or many other saws being complained about. In fact the carb or air leak has been at fault in all but a couple situations.

This situation parallels another part of my business, remote car starters. I get dozens of calls a year asking if the starter I installed caused their air conditioning, fuel pump, tail lamp or shock absorber to malfunction. As I tell them it is highly unlikely but I'll take a look for free, their response is usually something like "Well you were the last to work on it, adding this aftermarket piece and now my muffler bearing is out. Has to have something to do with it"

Just because something is new doesn't mean it is the issue. Remember it is still 95% a standard saw design, and saws fail.

The diagnostic tool is well under 200 retail. This is part of the problem, crazy misinformation. Also the tool is backward compatible with most of the current auto Husky systems, not all but most.

I've still seen no proof the autotune is at fault with this or many other saws being complained about. In fact the carb or air leak has been at fault in all but a couple situations.

This situation parallels another part of my business, remote car starters. I get dozens of calls a year asking if the starter I installed caused their air conditioning, fuel pump, tail lamp or shock absorber to malfunction. As I tell them it is highly unlikely but I'll take a look for free, their response is usually something like "Well you were the last to work on it, adding this aftermarket piece and now my muffler bearing is out. Has to have something to do with it"

Just because something is new doesn't mean it is the issue. Remember it is still 95% a standard saw design, and saws fail.

Really? Do you have a part # and what exactly am I getting for $200, the harness adapter and what else?? All the software? What models are and are not compatible?

I just picked up a 576xpat with a smoked p/c

Please post pics, so I can call my local dealer on monday..

Last edited:
Actually, I'll bet the number one reason saws fail is poor fuel mixture - and that's major mechanical failure. Having a feedback fuel system makes that less likely.

Really? Do you have a part # and what exactly am I getting for $200, the harness adapter and what else?? All the software? What models are and are not compatible?

I just picked up a 576xpat with a smoked p/c

Please post pics, so I can call my local dealer on monday..

Untitled by mweba1, on Flickr

Untitled by mweba1, on Flickr

The codes have been posted earlier and the software is obtainable.... The Black cable with tweezer is for the 576 and newest gen 562,550 ect.

Latest posts

Back