What is the best cheap 40cc saw out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I didn't see anyone mention this Husky I found on Amazon. It's 38cc and looks like it might fit what your looking for. If you don't want the Amazon Rewards Visa you can cancel it after you get the discount.

Husqvarna 240 2 HP Chainsaw, 952802154 (16-Inch)
Price: $179.95 & FREE Shipping.Details
Get $50 off instantly: Pay $129.95 upon approval for the Amazon Rewards Visa Card.
  • X-torque - delivers lower fuel consumption and reduced exhaust emission levels in accordance with the world´s most stringent environmental regulations
  • Air injection - centrifugal air cleaning system removes larger Dust and debris Particles before reaching the air filter. This results in reduced air filter Cleanings and improved engine life
  • Combined choke/stop control - allows for easier starting and reduces the risk of engine flooding
  • Lowvib - system designed to reduce vibration levels to the operator, which lessens fatigue
  • Air Purge - removes air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
Some small Husqvarna are Poulan. Read the reviews. Id put that money on an Echo 352.

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
I’m not enamored with my 352.
I mean it’s nice and light, and starts plenty easy. And it cuts all the smaller stuff that it’s designed to.
But when I tried to push it a little through the top of an old, dead, burly cedar stump about 10 or 12 inch diameter, it was having none of it. You’d’a thought I was killing it. It balked and threw sparks and then threw the chain and generally disagreed with the way I was treating it.
I guess if stepping down below a 50 or 60cc saw, I should have maybe chosen more carefully and picked one with a little more snot so I didn’t have to bust out the big gun more often than I’d think I need to.
I’d recommend getting a cc or 2 or 6 more and try and get something with at least 2hp if you want maximum versatility in a small saw.
I’m not knocking Echo, because the 352 is a nice little saw for someone who won’t try and torture test it.
And I’ll most likely try an Echo CS-361P as an upgrade and give someone a deal on the 352. Because I just can’t bear to spend $700 on a similar Stihl MS201 C-EM rear handle saw.
I think that Makita 35cc, the Still 250, or the Echo CS400 saws would be alright, but a little bigger and and heavier than what I personally was looking for.

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
I mean it’s nice and light, and starts plenty easy. And it cuts all the smaller stuff that it’s designed to.
But when I tried to push it a little through the top of an old, dead, burly cedar stump about 10 or 12 inch diameter, it was having none of it. You’d’a thought I was killing it. It balked and threw sparks and then threw the chain and generally disagreed with the way I was treating it.
I guess if stepping down below a 50 or 60cc saw, I should have maybe chosen more carefully and picked one with a little more snot so I didn’t have to bust out the big gun more often than I’d think I need to.
I’d recommend getting a cc or 2 or 6 more and try and get something with at least 2hp if you want maximum versatility in a small saw.
I’m not knocking Echo, because the 352 is a nice little saw for someone who won’t try and torture test it.
And I’ll most likely try an Echo CS-361P as an upgrade and give someone a deal on the 352. Because I just can’t bear to spend $700 on a similar Stihl MS201 C-EM rear handle saw.
I think that Makita 35cc, the Still 250, or the Echo CS400 saws would be alright, but a little bigger and and heavier than what I personally was looking for.
Does your 352 still have the cat in the muffler? They make huge gains with a muff mod.

Analyst Man

Analyst Man

ArboristSite Guru
Some small Husqvarna are Poulan. Read the reviews. Id put that money on an Echo 352.

Agree that the Echo 352 is a nice saw and a good muffler mod would really wake it up like all Echo's (yes I did the mod on my Echo CS-360T) but the OP is saying that he didn't want to spend much more than $100. The Echo 352 is running around $260 unless you buy it from fleebay whereas he can get the Husky 240 for $129 and free shipping from Amazon. If it were me I'd spend the extra money and buy the Echo but that doesn't fit the OP's criteria.

He asked about a saw that; 1) is about 40cc, 2) has the least failures and parts easy to come by, and 3) Price wise would be anywhere around $100.

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
Does your 352 still have the cat in the muffler? They make huge gains with a muff mod.
Yeah. I guess I need to get to modding it before I write it off. I saw where one of the foreign models with the same engine was getting 2.14hp, or something like that.

Still, I’m embarrassed to say that I really want the 361P. And the big sale around here is next week.

James Miller

James Miller

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have two friends that use 240s as there small saws. There not terrible. Honestly for $100 I'd find a good poulan 2300 or s25 or if you spend some time looking a 3400 any of which if taken care of would probably outlast there owner. The older poulans is were I'd look if I wanted a reliable saw for 100 or less.

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
I have two friends that use 240s as there small saws. There not terrible. Honestly for $100 I'd find a good poulan 2300 or s25 or if you spend some time looking a 3400 any of which if taken care of would probably outlast there owner. The older poulans is were I'd look if I wanted a reliable saw for 100 or less.
I got a 3400. That things a tank, and not nearly as easy to start as my new CS490. I think it’s all metal, except the air cleaner cover. 56cc so not exactly a small saw. And probably 16 or 17 pounds with the tall 16” bar and chain.

But I saw a like new Craftsman 16” (38cc) at the pawn shop today for $45. Just looking at it, looked like an ok saw. But no tool-less are filter. Plastic switches. Not sure about the chain oiler or adjustments.
There’s more than a few reasons why they retail for $129.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I think that Makita 35cc, the Still 250, or the Echo CS400 saws would be alright, but a little bigger and I'm and heavier than what I personally was looking for.

Min cuts almost as fast as my 490 which is 50cc. But, I sharpen my own chains and I never ride my saw nor expect it to cut more than a small liming saw. Mine pulls its self at its happy cutting speed and the few times ive ask it to cut 15 inch stuff it complies. By chain is always very sharp and well oiled. My bar tip is always well greased and my carb is tuned.

I never hurry a small saw.
I've seen men pushing down on saws, smoke boiling off the chain. No saw will cut any better than the bar and chain permits.
Once I repaired an Echo cs310 that some guy pushed down on so hard hed damaged the anti vibe springs.
Im under brushing several acres with mine. Sometimes I take a 10 or 12 inch tree down but I don't expect it to cut as fast as a 50cc saw and If I needed to drop more than one 15 incher a day id use my 490. , I wouldn't expect a china 50cc saw to cut as well as a decent 50cc saw. My Sthil 024 has been, for years, my standard underbrush saw and for making a 14 inch cut once in a while saw. I'm thinking its like a 42 cc saw. It appears that my Echo 352 cuts as good if not better than it and there is like approximately 8 cc difference.
You may be happier with a cs490. I run the cs 352 and cs490. Those are my small saws and love both but I never expect the 352 to man up to the 490. Its not a lot slower but is slower.
A trick I use to buck is start the bar sitting level on top of the log with the motor against the log. After an entrance is made I drop the motor down and angle the tip a tad up. The motor against the log. My hand resting on the top of the handle but not pushing down. There's no pressure at all on the top handle, in fact ive removed my hand when demonstration this. Thats dangerous so I put my hand back on the bar quickly Just in case of a kick back. The idea is to show that I do let the saws own power and weight pull it through the cut.. Just before dead bottom ill level the bar and gently guide it through. Don't hit the dirt. I don't use or need much pressure on the dogs on a small saw used that way and it's working well for me. Your experience may be different. Good day.

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
Musta got a lenon. Mine cuts almost as fast as my 490 which is 50cc. But, I sharpen my own chains and I never ride my saw. Mine pulls its self at its happy cutting speed and the few times ive ask it to cut 14 inch stuff it complies. By chain is sharp well oiled my bar tip greased and carb tuned. I've seen men pushing down on saws, smoke boiling off the chain. Once I repaired a cs310 that some guy pushed doen on so hard he damaged the anti vibe springs. Im under brushing now with mine. Sometimes I take a 10 or 12 inch tree but I don't expect it to cut as fast as a 50cc saw, except a china 50cc which for the most part cuts more like a less cc saw for some reason. My Sthil 024 has been for years a standard underbrush a 14 incher once in a while saw. I'm thinking itsit42 cc and my Echo 352 cuts as good if not better. You may be happier with a cs400 or a cs490. I run the cs 352 and cs490. Those are my small saws and love both but I never expect the 352 to man up to the 490. Its not a lot slower.
A trick I use to buck is start the bar level all way up to the motor. After an entrance is made I drop the motor and angle the tip a tad high. No pressure at all on top. Just let the saw weight bring it through. Just before dead bottom i level the bar. I dont use or need much pressure on the dogs on a small saw used that way. Good day.
The 490 is my big saw:surprised3:. And the Poulan 3400, which I rarely use anymore.

I don’t think it’s a lemon. I’m just overly critical of it I guess. Didn’t know it was only 1.8 horsepower when I got it.

My small saw, the 2511T can mostly keep up with the 352. But you gotta keep the hammer down on the 2511.

I’m going to mod the muffler on the 352. Will be my first on a chainsaw.
I think there’s a 15 to 20 percent increase in horsepower in there somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The 490 is my big saw:surprised3:. And the Poulan 3400, which I rarely use anymore.

I don’t think it’s a lemon. I’m just overly critical of it I guess. Didn’t know it was only 1.8 horsepower when I got it.

My small saw, the 2511T can mostly keep up with the 352. But you gotta keep the hammer down on the 2511.

I think there’s a 15 to 20 percent increase in horsepower in there somewhere. Will see if I can find it.
Yes, I rethought that comment. I edited my post but had no Idea it had already posted. My apologies. That did sound kinda rude. Be blessed.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Yes, I rethought that comment. I edited my post but had no Idea it had already posted. My apologies. That did sound kinda rude. Be blessed.

If you like the 490 youll love the cs590. That's a man. Heavy big ole boy for my age but a real snorter. Ive replaced the bar and chain. I always put professional chains on my saws. Good day.

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
It’s all good. I can take a joke.

Besides, it’s partially true.

I don’t run dull chains or smoke the saw through wood, but I bought them to use for whatever I have to.

Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington

ArboristSite Guru
If you like the 490 youll love the cs590. That's a man. Heavy big ole boy for my age but a real snorter. Ive replaced the bar and chain. I always put professional chains on my saws. Good day.
Nah. If I want to run a heavy saw for a while I’ll just get the old Poulan 3400 out. A good pound or two heavier than the 590.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
It’s all good. I can take a joke.

Besides, it’s partially true.

I don’t run dull chains or smoke the saw through wood, but I bought them to use for whatever I have to.
You sound like a well trained knowledgeable guy.
The guy smoking his chain is the same guy with his chain to loose because he thinks loose chains oil better.
Then there are the to tight chains and guys saying, my chain keeps stretching and getting hot.
A lot of guys buy saws without having anyone to help them learn.
After years of my own mistakes I may be over cautious.
One time the oil cap vibrated off a Sthil 029. I was giving it hell bucking a huge oak when that DRY chain metallic sound hit my ears. Fortunately I stopped quickly and saved the bar and chain. I've had a gas cap come off before too.

Now I put Oil in FIRST and use a Scrench to snug it down. Then I add the fuel just to make sure I don't forget the oil.
I knew a guy who forgot to add oil. The saw won't run without gas but will without oil. I'm sure my grandsons find such order a bit irritating. Also after each cut, even bucking, I reeve up, let the bar sling chips and check to see if it's oiling. As you know, not all saws run out of gas before running out of bar oil. I never want to be judgmental but I know how capable I am at making mistakes. If I can create good habits they help me help my saws healthy. At 71, im so tired of saw repairs. Good night.

sawjunky23

sawjunky23

Just here for the free beer!
I can’t believe nobody mentioned a Stihl 023,025 ms250, I’ve run and sold a bunch of these stihl clamshell saws and they are fine for your average homeowner or firewooder. Seems like the going rate is $100-$125 used

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I can’t believe nobody mentioned a Stihl 023,025 ms250, I’ve run and sold a bunch of these stihl clamshell saws and they are fine for your average homeowner or firewooder. Seems like the going rate is $100-$125 used
I've got an 024 & 026. Never crank em. Guess I may sell em one day. Just cant let em go that cheap. I figure they gotta be worth at least 200 a piece.

sawjunky23

sawjunky23

Just here for the free beer!
I've got an 024 & 026. Never crank em. Guess I may sell em one day. Just cant let em go that cheap. I figure they gotta be worth at least 200 a piece.
The 024&026 are a different animal, they are both mag cased saws the 023/025/ms250 I referred to are plastic cased clamshell saws. I agree with you the 024/026/ms260 usually sell a little higher rightfully so

Latest posts