What Is The Best Limbing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
looking to purchase a new limbing saw I like husky STIHL and would consider echo. which one is more on the light side but has some balls price is no object but i want something small .

It really depends on the application..........:biggrinbounce2:

Husky 346xp, unless the trees are hardwoods with large limbs - it was designed as a limbing saw, and they did an excellent job.

Personally, I mostly use my MS361 with 15" bar and 3/8"x8 on mature birches........

Well, if price is not a limiting factor the Stihl ms200t is a screamin' demon. It's a top handled saw designed for climbing and to some extent bucket work. Light and very powerful. I've got one and love it. Husky's 338xp is also an excellent option. I've always prefered the Stihl to the Husky for durability and power(my opinion), but I understand Husky added power to the 338 recently so..... Echo makes a decent little top handle (3000cs??) I used one years ago and know guys that like 'em. A very good option, especially for those that balk at the price of a ms200t. Years ago I used a sweet little Shindaiwa climbing saw that really kicked butt, don't remember the model #. At the time Stihl hadn't updated the 020t yet and I actually like the Shiny better than the old version of the 020 on trims(T/Ds are another story though). The Shiny was a nice, light and well balanced saw with decent power, the 020 had a bit more grunt though thus the preference for T/Ds.

I'd go with the ms200t if you don't mind the price tag, you will NOT be disappointed.

A husky 346xp is a great limbing saw, as long as the wood is as stated above. Its not very good at bucking, but limbing its great. Light and some snot to it.

Oops, maybe....

Shoulda asked, were you looking for a top handle or conventional configuration saw? If looking for saw to de-limb tops on the ground, forget my previous post. When you mentioned limbing I was thinking trimming/pruning, sorry must be the climber in me.......:monkey:

looking to purchase a new limbing saw I like husky STIHL and would consider echo. which one is more on the light side but has some balls price is no object but i want something small .

Not enough information for good replies. As you can see you have drawn responses from climbing saws to ones big enough to buck with.

Are you using it for climbing?, for limbing on the ground? Small - some idea of what your definition of small is.

My limbing and small bucking saw (all ground work) is a Husky 51/16". Had I a choice it would be something a bit lighter.

Harry K

we used to have a top handle echo and it was great im all set for felling and bucking but my 372xp is heavy for light to medium limbing I dont really care if it is top handle but prefer regular style im thinking 35-45cc range but would consider a midrange saw

What is your idea of limbing - size of wood, species, etc.? What are your expectations for the saw?

Lots of good choices out there, but without knowing more about your intended use for the saw it is hard to say what your best choice(s) might be. If you idea of limbing involves processing the tops into little pieces, that might suggest one saw. If you're just going to walk the trunk and drop the limbs in one piece and leave 'em, that might recommend another machine.

Sorry boy's Im I was trying to type on my sons nintendo wii and it has no keyboard so im on the real computer now. I will not be climbing I used to work for a tree removal service We had a small echo top handle a 044 and some husky featherlight model can't remmber Ive owned all sorts of saws but none in the small saw categorey I don't know which are ecco this or that and which are pro or not that's why Im on here! the limbing will consist of whatever limbs are on 6"-30" trees mostly. All the work will be done on the ground but I may need to reach up high with it in some cases. I want it to be reliable and light non cold blooded if possible and maybe strong enough to take down a 6" tree. hell i'll consider a dolmar too no dealer here but I fix all my own stuff anyway. Im not brand loyal I usually buy what best fits my needs If everybody owned one brand that would be no fun at all.

something along 339xp/346xp should do fine, expect on really big limbs the 346xp MAY feel underpowered but it should be strong enough to fall trees up 20" or so if youre not in hurry...

In that case... for pro models I'd recommend Stihl 260, Husky 346 or Dolmar 5100. Any of these would meet your needs I think. If possible pick 'em up, run 'em and pick what fits you & your requirements best.

Sorry boy's Im I was trying to type on my sons nintendo wii and it has no keyboard so im on the real computer now. I will not be climbing I used to work for a tree removal service We had a small echo top handle a 044 and some husky featherlight model can't remmber Ive owned all sorts of saws but none in the small saw categorey I don't know which are ecco this or that and which are pro or not that's why Im on here! the limbing will consist of whatever limbs are on 6"-30" trees mostly. All the work will be done on the ground but I may need to reach up high with it in some cases. I want it to be reliable and light non cold blooded if possible and maybe strong enough to take down a 6" tree. hell i'll consider a dolmar too no dealer here but I fix all my own stuff anyway. Im not brand loyal I usually buy what best fits my needs If everybody owned one brand that would be no fun at all.
we used to have a top handle echo and it was great im all set for felling and bucking but my 372xp is heavy for light to medium limbing I dont really care if it is top handle but prefer regular style im thinking 35-45cc range but would consider a midrange saw

What about the Husky 353? From what I've been told not only on this site but from a few dealers the 353 has a really wide power band and might cut a little better in larger 10 inch plus wood then the 346XP. Now I've never ran either, but I'm sure someone here has. :D

Gotta put my vote in for the MS260 with a 16" bar and a sharp .325 pitch Stihl RS chain (26RS-67) it's a lot of fun and gets the work done pretty fast. This setup is perfect for limbing with the saw balancing dead level when hung from the front handle bar, and has enough arse (even in the hardwoods) for bucking the large limbs and small trees up to the length of the bar (and beyond). The published specs say the power head weight is 10.6 lbs, I never checked to see if that was accurate or not but would say its pretty close. I can tell you that mine with the bar and chain, full of fuel and oil, ready to cut weighs in around 14.5 lbs and is as much fun to carry around at the end of the day as it is at the beginning.

If you’re mechanically inclined (or are capable of following some simple instructions) you could open up the muffler a little and it will give you a lot more power. Add an 8-pin rim sprocket (about $6.00 at the dealer and 3 min. to put on) and this setup really rips although without the muffler mod. I would limit the wood size to the 12" range. Do the muff mod and get the 8-pin and I'll guarantee this will be "that saw" you just can't put down, I burn more fuel in my 260 than any other saw I own.

For those who ask if the mods are really worth it, let me give you some food for thought. My MS260 with a 16" bar as it comes from the factory without the muff mod and a 7-pin rim sprocket with the RM2 safety chain turned in a cut time of 7.8 to 7.9 seconds in a 15" pine. After the muff mod with the 8-pin sprocket and RS chain that time was down to 4.1 to 4.2 seconds. Didn't quite cut the times in half but pretty close and it's definitely a big improvement, not to bad for probably 30 min. work and six dollars in parts.

I want it to be reliable and light non cold blooded if possible and maybe strong enough to take down a 6" tree.

If your really not planning to cut more than 6" dia. with it I would have to say the MS200 rear handle with a 12" bar. 2.2 lbs lighter on the Troll sheet (oops I meant spec sheet:D ) but with the shorter bar and chain and less fuel and oil capacity the ready to cut weight should be more like 3 1/2 to 4 lbs differance.

Do a search for 30cc saws and you'll have plenty of opinions to keep you busy for a while.

dolmar 5100S, stihl MS260 (pro or not pro)or big money MS200
don't run anything else so I can't recommend anything else.
-Ralph

Limbing? after you cut down tree or yard prunning. 044 is great limbing saw with 28" bar very little bending and quick. To me it seams easier and faster to use same saw as felling unless its like an 880 or 3120. Pruning saw seem you wouldn't want anything bigger than a 210 or like sized husky. Just my 2cnts

No doubt then - Husky 346xp. :blob2: :blob2:

What about the Husky 353? From what I've been told not only on this site but from a few dealers the 353 has a really wide power band and might cut a little better in larger 10 inch plus wood then the 346XP. Now I've never ran either, but I'm sure someone here has. :D

The 353 is not a specialized limbing saw, like the 346xp - much lower rpms, and not enough power to run an 8-pin for allround use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back