What Is The Best Limbing Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll throw in my 2 pennies and tell you the 346xp is a great saw for small trees/limbing. I have one on my bucket and I rarely have to go to a bigger saw.(over 10"DBH) It isn't a 395, so in bigger wood it may seem slow, but for limbing it will serve you well.

wow thanks for all the input I have a good idea of which models to checkout now 260 346 and ms200 seem to be good bets I never thought about modding the little guy either thats a good point as far as im concerned the lighter the better does husky make a top handle saw i haven't read anything about them yet i know some guys just use one saw but i think having two saws evens out the workload better and gives each saw some cooldown time and this results in longer saw life and is easier on my back i also would like to keep my felling and bucking saw razor sharp and use the smaller saw for all the limbing but thats just my preference i think im going to get a 16 inch bar and chain i will go out tomorrow and try some of thease badboys out and yes i think i now have the chainsaw bug

i use a 260 pro with a 18 inch bar works good for limbing and felling small trees. good all around saw.

Sorry boy's Im I was trying to type on my sons nintendo wii and it has no keyboard so im on the real computer now. I will not be climbing I used to work for a tree removal service We had a small echo top handle a 044 and some husky featherlight model can't remmber Ive owned all sorts of saws but none in the small saw categorey I don't know which are ecco this or that and which are pro or not that's why Im on here! the limbing will consist of whatever limbs are on 6"-30" trees mostly. All the work will be done on the ground but I may need to reach up high with it in some cases. I want it to be reliable and light non cold blooded if possible and maybe strong enough to take down a 6" tree. hell i'll consider a dolmar too no dealer here but I fix all my own stuff anyway. Im not brand loyal I usually buy what best fits my needs If everybody owned one brand that would be no fun at all.

MS200 rear handle :cheers:

+2
But I use an 034 and 441. Seems more of a pain always going to get another saw. Much faster to just keep cutting.

Sure. But this way they have an excuse for another saw. One for falling, one for big limbs. One for medium limbs, one for small limbs. One to prune the rose bushes with. It just goes on and on. Gotta justify all those saws somehow.
Me, I usually limb with whatever I'm falling with. Just seems easier. And I already have a rose pruning saw. :cheers:

The Husky 346 XP is the answer. Totally uncompromising saw.
Fastest reving saw on the market. Nice ergonimics. A lot more power
than the MS200/338XP so you can use it for other stuff too.
I have a 353 myself and it’s also a great saw. Depends on the ratio
limbing/bucking. More limbing : 346. More bucking: 353.
(I think the 346 is just as good bucking as the 353 but it maybe
wouldn’t justify the extra money.)

/Peter

than the MS200/339XP so you can use it for other stuff too.

/Peter

Very true!:cheers:

---but the smaller Husky to consider is the 339xp, not 338....

ms 440 w/28 365 w/24 in big trees

It really depends on the application..........:biggrinbounce2:

Husky 346xp, unless the trees are hardwoods with large limbs - it was designed as a limbing saw, and they did an excellent job.

Personally, I mostly use my MS361 with 15" bar and 3/8"x8 on mature birches........

I have to agree with ralph on the MS 200 on the smaller stuff its how we doit and it works well:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

than the MS200/338XP so you can use it for other stuff too.

/Peter
I'll use it more for bucking then limbing. That's why I'd go with the 353. That's just me though. Plus as you mentioned the 353 is a little cheaper! :)

looking to purchase a new limbing saw I like husky STIHL and would consider echo. which one is more on the light side but has some balls price is no object but i want something small .
Well I use my little poulan 2550 for limbing it does have a muffler mod is cheap and does a great job! But I did see a Echo The other day being used for just such a job I cant remember I think it was a CS440 or something like that It was a nice saw! But if price is no object Husky 346 better yet a Jred 2147 if you can get one! Just a nicer colour! Ooop's spelled color the Canadian way!

I have to agree with ralph on the MS 200 on the smaller stuff its how we doit and it works well:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

I suspect that the 339xp is a better saw than the MS200, but I don't really know...........:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

...I want one, but I can't find an excuse for it.......:bang: :bang:

My 021 works well as a limbing saw if I'm in a tree. On the ground I use my 036. My Buddy just bought a 241c....I'm sure it will work great as a limbing saw.

I can't believe it hasn't been said yet. Maybe I should follow suit and keep my mouth shut. And it maybe is because the brand wasn't mentioned in the op but i have to throw it out there. Dolmar 421. I bought one and love it. I like it so much I don't see how another saw in the same class could be better. Has great power and is so easy to crank is stupid. Just food for thought

Latest posts

Back