What is the best size all around saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher44

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've used home owner specials and flea market (basket case saws) that for the most part were junk when my cheep ass had to spring for another saw.
But that aside now I'm going to buy a bran new saw.
I want to know what I should get and a average price?
I'll be using it for most everything.limbing, topping small to mid size removal so on and so on...........

I'll be getting more new saws at a later date.but I'm done buying used up junk.
But for now I need a good all around saw.
thanks for pros and cons.
chucked 4 saws today just to keep from loosing my mind patching junk.

Husqvarna 346XP 45cc with the power of 55cc . only 10.6 lbs Great for limbing and larger wood . Great all day chiansaw . Now when you ready for the larger saw you can move up to a 58cc- 72cc size saw for the big wood . ( 372XP )

Last edited:
sloth9669 said:
go for the 361 stihl will handle allyour needs big and small
Isnt the MS361 a little big / heavy for limbing ? I think of this class of chainsaw as a "large small saw" or a "small large saw" its too big for limbing and too small for large wood. I dont believe in just 1 chainsaw for cutting , i think everone needs at least 2 chiansaws. 1 small , 1 large . :cheers:

2 saws

i agree he asked for one so i gave him my best over all pic...it can handle a 24 inch blade for big rounds on his mill and down it to a 16 to zip the limbs off...if you want 2 saws iam a sthil guy so id say a 260 small and a 440-460 big but thats over and underkill from what i seen him milling 361 is just right ..also did you get my message about them pics ?

I'm getting other saws
but after todoy they will be worn out by me not others befofe i get them
lost 3 plus hours just tring to get 1 of four diffrent saws to run long enough to do a simple clean up
total time 5.25 hours for $120
trashed all 4 saws going to get a shinny new one tues mornning
just lookin to get a real versitale saw because it will be tre only one I have for a few days (i hope just a few days not weeks lol)

Asking for one saw is a tall order. And you already know that more saws are in order, so I'll spare you all that advice. If you're going with one saw, look at the 361 or the 440, depending on what your emphasis is on-more limbing, more falling, more climbing, etc. More limbing, 361. More falling and larger cuts, 440.

Rspike said:
Isnt the MS361 a little big / heavy for limbing ? I think of this class of chainsaw as a "large small saw" or a "small large saw" its too big for limbing and too small for large wood. I dont believe in just 1 chainsaw for cutting , i think everone needs at least 2 chiansaws. 1 small , 1 large . :cheers:

aboutwhat does the 361 cost i know it varis but a ballpark est.

Rspike said:
Husqvarna 346XP 45cc with the power of 55cc . only 10.6 lbs Great for limbing and larger wood . Great all day chiansaw . Now when you ready for the larger saw you can move up to a 58cc- 72cc size saw for the big wood . ( 372XP )

same question got ball park price range?

if you want just the powerhead 475-525 add a bar and chain 16'' or 20'' ( get the 20'' ) 525-600 new out of box pending dealer...also make sure there are dealers around...if its way out of the way find a local husky shop...dealer suport can be important to some people

woodbutcher44 said:
aboutwhat does the 361 cost i know it varis but a ballpark est.
$589. list retail . $550. if you can talk them down . I would go handle the large saw before you make up your mind. That is a lot of chainsaw to carry around. real heavy for limbing . You can get the NEW Husqvarna 346XP off the net ( Ebay )for $409. + 3 free chains + free shipping . The 361 and the 440 are only around 11 cc difference. Husqvarna also has a 359 and a 357xp but again they are mid range chainsaws. Too big if you are getting more than one.

husky

husky for sale on ebay is alot cheaper...i just know little about them and like to stick with what i know sthil...but if that is not and issue with you the ebay deals on husky saws are great..almost tempted to try one myself

Rspike said:
$589. list retail . $550. if you can talk them down . I would go handle the large saw before you make up your mind. That is a lot of chainsaw to carry around. real heavy for limbing . You can get the Husqvarna 346XP off the net ( Ebay )for $409. + 3 free chains + free shipping . The 361 and the 440 are only around 11 cc difference. Husqvarna also has a 359 and a 357xp but again they are mid range chainsaws. Too big if you are getting more than one.

right now i do it alone .
try to stick with smaller jobs but i got to eat
Ijust moved to florida Ocala area and starting allover
hare to find any one that is willing to do anything other than complain or cry about their home life.
all alone and sawless think ill get a beer lol

sloth9669 said:
husky for sale on ebay is alot cheaper...i just know little about them and like to stick with what i know sthil...but if that is not and issue with you the ebay deals on husky saws are great..almost tempted to try one myself

The dealer I spoke of said they are both good saws but the newer large saws have alot of new things i comon
great fellow told me to do a litt research and he could help me narrow it down to 2 or 3 and let me choose from there
he lafed an said you know ill sell you this3120xp (?) on the lolow but you mayneed some one to carry it up the hills for you.
I gues it was the 40 lb monster he had a $1500 price tag on from where he was pointinh across the store.

A tree care and removal operation needs multiple saws-you already know that. The "indispensible" arborist saws (IMO) are a "climbing saw"(most of us choose a lightweight tophandle saw of 30-45cc displacement) and a 70cc class saw. Those 2 will get everything done well even if they don't do all things best. On the other hand I find the saws that I use the very most are 50cc class saws.-I have to have a climbing saw and I have to have a "big saw" but mostly I use a 50cc class saw for limbing, small felling, backup to a bigger saw, cutting big blocks aloft while removing trees etc. I don't know if you climb at all but in the 50cc class the Husky 346(46cc but performs like it is bigger) is light, manueverable and FAST. It is pretty decent for in tree use and a true Joy for limbing and small tree removal. If I were purchasing one saw to "get me by" for a few weeks that is the saw I would choose.....that one or a Dolmar 5100.

like a lot of folks already posted. you really need two sizes. large and small. 72cc range and 49 cc range

but if I had to go with one saw, it'd be MS 460 (461) or Husky 372 (best bang for $$)

a little big, but I limb with my 046 all the time. but most limbing duties is done with 026.

359 husky almost never get used. sold a 034 super in the same boat.

Back