What is the best size all around saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dolmar is not a swa ive seen around here and i do climb when nessary but still new with using a herness in a thee so i a very cautious .since I AM WORKINK SOLO AT THIS TIME i NEXTEL 1 OF 2 PEOPLE WHEN i START A JOB AND PLAY BEE BBEEEP TAP TILL IM DONE JUST KEEP THEN AWARE OF WHERE I AM.
I DONT THINK IVE SEEN A DELMAR SAW IN MY AREA
Its a money tight thing the reason Ican only get one at the moment
but I do have a few small jobs lined up so soon there will be additions to the new family

The Echo Cs-440 is a nice saw at 10.5 Lbs
I have a Cs345 7.5 Lbs which is a great little saw and a Cs520 10.8 Lbs which is also a nice saw.
But I just ordered a new Dolmar Ps5100s which I'm picking up thrusday.

94TahoeLT said:
The Echo Cs-440 is a nice saw at 10.5 Lbs
I have a Cs345 7.5 Lbs which is a great little saw and a Cs520 10.8 Lbs which is also a nice saw.
But I just ordered a new Dolmar Ps5100s which I'm picking up thrusday.
Is the Cs 345 or the Cs520 in the 50-60 cc range
and cost is an issue at this time
just paid full tuition for wife and new home all at once
like to stay close to 500 or less if possible (he said unable to look up from his feet)hahaha

Hey man, I'm not a pro, but I've cut a lot of firewood in our area. What we have around here, the 260 or 260 pro would be my choice. She's light enough to go up in the tree and enough grunt to cut any wood up to 36" DBH. I hear you on the tuition, just paid mine ouch! My feeling get your 260 and put some cash in your pocket and then get yourself a Stihl 440 and 200T or comparable Husky saws to go along. Since you're in the are and work alone, I'd like to come watch sometime and give you a hand if you're up for it, especially if you have some jobs closer to Gainesville or the North side of Ocala.

I had a climber once who's smallest saw was a 26.

He climbed with that all the time, for years he reckoned.

Then on his first day with me I watched him and shook my head .... "Wazzup", he goes. My reply, "Arghhh, your makin life hard for yourself and I'll fit you out before you climb the next one."

Before he went up this small tree I whacked a hook in his harness, loaded him with a 200T and said try this.

He never went back and loved the new style, said he couldn't believe he'd been buggerising around with a rear handled climbing saw for so long.

So yes, a 26 is good, but make a goal of getting a proper climbing saw, you'll love it.

I have 200T, 025, 44,46,66

And yes, I use them all.

?????????????????

I think the issue with this thread / topic is: The thread title is
"What is the best size all around saw"
Then the post reads:
I'll be using it for most everything.limbing, topping small to mid size removal so on and so on...........

I'll be getting more new saws at a later date.but I'm done buying used up junk.
Then we find out in the thread that:
i do climb when necessary but still new with using a herness in a thee so i a very cautious .
So not really sure what saw you want . #1 all around saw? #2 lite limbing ground / take down saw ? #3 or with you climbing are you after a Arborist limbing saw ? Every body has the right answer to what ever question "they thought" you were asking but again that could go 3 different ways . I understood it as in your first post and answered per "I'll be using it for most everything.limbing, topping small to mid size removal so on and so on...........

I'll be getting more new saws at a later date.but I'm done buying used up junk." thus is what i mentioned the Husqvarna 346XP let us know exactly what your looking for and what you are going to use it for and you wont get all the different options . :cheers:

Ekka said:
I had a climber once who's smallest saw was a 26.

He climbed with that all the time, for years he reckoned.
QUOTE]

I had a subby climber a few years back and his "climbing saw" was a 044 with a 16" bar. Needless to say he had forearms like popeye:hmm3grin2orange: He had a geared winch similar to a gcrs(better but bigger) but with the option of a petrol powered stationary motor when the handwinch was just too much like hard work. He didnt need to cut anything further out than where it met the trunk. If ya gonna rig, rig it big was his motto:cheers:

Trev

Yeah, I wonder who that was.

44 with a 16" bar would have gone like buggery, be through those regnan limbs in no time.

I run an 18" bar on my 44, does go good, if you know you will be cutting them all off at the trunk and they're like 10" dia plus ... yeah bugger it, take a big saw and get cracking.

But if you have to (ahem, cut & chuck) then the top handled comes into play.

Depends on the gig hey.

But a souped up 200T is inviting.

Rspike said:
Isnt the MS361 a little big / heavy for limbing ? .....

Not at all, under the right conditions. I have used mine (with 15" bar) for a good amount of limbing and bucking mature birches lately, and have nothing to complain about.
If the wood had been spruce, it wood have been a different story though....:laugh:
In my wood, the 361 is as close to an allround saw as you can get, even though such a thing doesn't really exist.

Last edited:
On this SawTroll and I can agree completely. I think the 361 fill a huge niche, and would make a great "all around" saw, if such a thing exists and is realistic. I don't think any of his descriptions of what he's asked for have contridicted themselves. All around saw, limbing, topping, removals, and climbing. You can do all three with the 361, at least I have.

Hey fishuntcutwood nice to see a familiar face! I used to play over at a certain forum as kevjay. Glad to see a familiar face I love this forum. Came here to bone up on everything from felling safety, sharpening, mods, etc. Joined months ago but just now getting to poking around real good.
great site!

Ekka a ms200T is on the got to have list.
However at this moment I can only get 1 new saw and I want to know what saw would be best to earn others with.
Thank you for the awsome videos and info.
I'm self taught and your post have beenn very usefull.
In your vids you have a micro skid steer, I would like to know the graffel brand or any info about I could get.
the ones Ive seen in the past are all 4 in 1s or to bulky and heavy for the micro.
thank guys for all the in put.

TexasTimbers said:
Hey fishuntcutwood nice to see a familiar face! I used to play over at a certain forum as kevjay. Glad to see a familiar face I love this forum. Came here to bone up on everything from felling safety, sharpening, mods, etc. Joined months ago but just now getting to poking around real good.
great site!

Welcome to AS. :cheers:

Jeff

husky 346xp is a great saw,I got to run one a few days back,light, power to beat all,with a 16 or 18" bar would cover alot of cutting chores,then later on get your small trimmer saw and then maybe a larger saw if the need arises.

going to the saw shop in the mornning to put my hands on a few sugested saws.
but mext on the shopping list is a MS 200 T
MS361 346xp MS260 pro and a few more if joe has the time

Good deal Woodbutcher. I'd like to see you with a 361 too, but you asked about keeping it under $500. If it were me I'd want to take my saddle in the shop and hang the saw off the saddle to see how it feels. As you know, a little weight can make a big difference. Good luck with it.

Of all my saws, if I had to stick with JUST ONE.
I'd have to go with 346xp.
Im a big fan.
Its fast, light, strong, pro quality, and about $400 NEW.

It will handle limbing, bucking, firewood.

When you want to step up, go to a big 90cc beast, and use it for felling the big stuff.
Just my humble opinion..

Latest posts

Back