What is the smallest tractor or largest lawn mower…..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of great info in your thread. This particularly caught my attention.

Man if they made a motorized wheelbarrow that was stout enough and geared low enough to pull trees (motorized skid steer) I’d be all over that.

Load it up with a some log length for some weight and have a hitch point.

they make snow dogs for ice fisherman that pull sleds full of gear. Not strong enough for what I am looking to do but directionally it would be cool.

https://snowdog.com/catalog/models/snowdog-pro/longtrack-b13-mer/

Be careful what you ask for. https://fastest3.com/product/jonser...orse-9hp-jh-129-logging-log-hauler-iron-horse https://lennartsfors.com/en/jarnhasten-i-skogsbruket/
Ron

I live on 2.2 acres and have a New Holland TZ22 diesel tractor. Attachments are loader, 60” mower, 50” tiller, 60” box blade and 50” 3ph snowblower. My BIL recommended the 3ph blower instead of the front mount. Sometimes you need the loader and the blower at the same time and I have. I don’t need manoeuvrability as my trees are on the perimeter only. I only have turf tires and have never needed chains or an aggressive tire yet.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

I do most of that with my Ariens GT20. Usually use a trailer for moving logs tho.
Yep, My 1974 Hydrostatic Wheel Horse cost me 600.00 and with a quick attach 48" deck will do almost anything, they also have backhoes for these older tractor/mowers

Attachments

• 20170716_201141.jpg
    20170716_201141.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 8
Yep, My 1974 Hydrostatic Wheel Horse cost me 600.00 and with a quick attach 48" deck will do almost anything, they also have backhoes for these older tractor/mowers
Deere 300 and 400 series garden tractors are in the same class, cheap, and do lots for the price.

Loader is the biggest issue, but if you can get by without....and back to a steiner/ventrac, same weight with 7x capability

Lots of great info in your thread. This particularly caught my attention.

Man if they made a motorized wheelbarrow that was stout enough and geared low enough to pull trees (motorized skid steer) I’d be all over that.

Load it up with a some log length for some weight and have a hitch point.

they make snow dogs for ice fisherman that pull sleds full of gear. Not strong enough for what I am looking to do but directionally it would be cool.

https://snowdog.com/catalog/models/snowdog-pro/longtrack-b13-mer/
I no sooner read this and I saw a video of a motorized wheelbarrow

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XUC01X1

Deere 300 and 400 series garden tractors are in the same class, cheap, and do lots for the price.

Loader is the biggest issue, but if you can get by without....and back to a steiner/ventrac, same weight with 7x capability
Any working 300 or 400 Deere runs well over 1000-2000 around most parts, both have engines that are NLA or cost a fortune for parts. The best purpose I've found for any Deere is to break it down and sell the parts and put the money into a kitty for Large Frame Bolens or Ariens GT

Any working 300 or 400 Deere runs well over 1000-2000 around most parts, both have engines that are NLA or cost a fortune for parts. The best purpose I've found for any Deere is to break it down and sell the parts and put the money into a kitty for Large Frame Bolens or Ariens GT
Idk...I've had good luck putting 23hp Kohlers or whatever hp Briggs into the ones I've had and bearing on them.

Bolens and ariens are tough to find around here

Idk...I've had good luck putting 23hp Kohlers or whatever hp Briggs into the ones I've had and bearing on them.

Bolens and ariens are tough to find around here
You can do that and have a good machine but you are closer to 3k or higher with a new engine and the cost of the tractor

I went all out a few years back and bought a Kubota 18hp diesel. That little tractor is a work horse. Unless I would have to upgrade to a bigger machine I figure it will last for the rest of my life.

I have a Mitsubishi 15 hp 2 cyl diesel, 4wd with R1's, and I specifically bought it to run a 48" bushhog for clearing with. It does exactly what I want. I do have a box blade with scarifier teeth and it works as it should. My only need for it is a custom made dump trailer so I can use it to shuttle fill from 20 acres away through trees and mud holes, I want to dump 4000 pounds, about two yards ish, but 48" wheel path, so I will have to build it. On my acres, my wife uses our Troy Built Lawn Tractor and cuts the 2.5 acres of grass WAY faster than I could with the Mits.

I also have my ASV RC-30 to dig and grade with. The rubber tracks are unstoppable. I get Gumbo here, and can walk through it with logs in the grapple. I have forks, tree boom, buckets and rootrake/grapple, so I never need an FEL. For that matter, I dont need the tractors box blade either....

I clear alot of land building disc golf courses. By alot I mean trail width, up to 60-80" wide but very selective clearing and grubbing, we want the trees. On my own land, I clear and clean up blow down and hurricane damaged trees, and my ASV can pick and carry logs bigger than the gaps between trees, to which I have gazillions. I am in an Oak Hammock.

I can pull my 6x12 dump trailer (the main transport trailer) into the woods, Load it with debris until I can't fit anymore, then haul it out and dump it with the ASV. It SUCKS to use it for dumping soils, so I don't do that much of it, And Frankly, a three or four yard pile of dirt is moved and graded in seconds, when I want dirt for a specific time sensitive project, I buy it by the dump truck load.

I recommend an ASV RC-30 with a grapple and bucket. They plow snow well too I understand. Then, any 25 hp Lawn tractor will do, maybe even pull a little trailer with it for smallies. If you have to dig, you rent an excavator. I've been on my land for 20 plus years, and rented an excavator twice. It makes no sense for me to own one. I have built 6 septic tanks and drain fields with my ASV RC-30, I can excavate, it just means a ramp into the rectangular pit is part of the deal. at 3000# 48 wide and 8' long, don't get hung up on small stature. The 33hp Catiperkins diesel has more than enough power, and speed- no need to go bigger and heavier.

I have two JD Gators, (20 year old) and have installed bed lifts, so for now, I get about a half a yard on each, and my wife or daughter, son or grands, can drive 20 acres and move the fill from where I am cutting it, to where I need it. (but I still want the micro dump trailer) usually just leveling a new area I have cleared off for a new shed or parking.....

Unfortunately, the OP stated he doesn't have room for 2 machines.

Latest posts

Back