What is this Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought this Stihl that was advertised as a MS 260 but I think it's really an MS 280.
The serial number is 267549223 and all of the part numbers on it start with 1133.
I cleaned off the handle and it is labeled as a MS 280.

So is it a 260 or a 280?

As you can see it needs parts, can you interchange parts between the MS 270 and MS 280?

Thanks for any info you can give.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

If the body of the saw is metal then it's a pro saw like the MS260. If it is plastic it's a homeowner saw. One is worth more then the other. Prolly a 280.

Off hand that doesn't look like my 260 Pro. Possibly I'm wrong. I don't remember that humph in the back and the handle bar looks different.

I think the muffler is different too.

Not any help,

Sam

Its a MS 280. You don't hear much about them, but there supposed to be good saws. Yours most definitely needs a case. If im not mistaken, they are a clamshell design, so a case swap should be much easier.

The 280`s are a nice work saw, they have very good power to weight, however half of the case is mag ,the other is nylon/plastic but I have seen no problems with the cases so far. The AV mounts are just a little too soft for my likings, not that I like the vibes but the upper mounts between the top handle and engine have a habit of slipping out of the handle side and then the saw looks like a car with a flat tire.
Pioneerguy600

It's not really a true "clamshell" design, more like a hybrid between a clamshell saw and a pro style saw with a full magnesium crankcase. The 280 is a decent saw but the 260 will take more abuse.

It's not really a true "clamshell" design, more like a hybrid between a clamshell saw and a pro style saw with a full magnesium crankcase. The 280 is a decent saw but the 260 will take more abuse.

Yeah it's not like the modular engine design of the MS250's or MS290's, that has it's own shortblock.

With the exception of park service ppl, nearly everyone that I've switched from 260 to 280 won't go back to the 260. Not enough guts in stock form, and in my area saw modding isn't as common. I see more 260's per capita in the shop than i do 280's.

Back