What is your preferred bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preferred is 32. I’m 5’6, balances well on a 440, 441 or 460/461, those saws all pull it okay, plenty of reach, cuts most wood left. Second choice would be 28, probably ideal is 30. 25 is okay too, but it’s really short to reach while limbing.

You guys running a 20 on a 660 must be really impatient. I run a 20 on Husqvarna 55.

If I was running a 372 all day again I’d probably opt for a 28. That saw seems to struggle a bit with east coast wood with the 32.

I get the torque. I only run three sizes of saws "modern" 60cc, "older" 82cc and 123cc. Torque increase between each of these classes is huge. I also get that boring can typically be faster with a larger saw because you can load it more. But in straight cutting of say a 15" diameter red oak, the 60cc saw will cut just as fast as the others with sharp chains if all are running 3/8" and a 7 tooth (actually maybe a tad faster due to the power range being at a higher rpm). Though I can be quoted from another thread saying a 82cc saw with an 8 tooth sprocket and 20" bar is fun to run - using one to turn a large canopy oak into firewood is extra work; the fun wears off after awhile and yields to a lighter saw. Logging is different presumably with fewer cuts per tree, but you probably lug the saw around a lot more cutting multiple trees. That extra weight is what has me wondering the benefits of a short barred big saw. Of course, unnecessarily carrying a long barred big saw around is even more work.

Ron
I guess that's the reason there are so many different size saws and bars, everybody has their own preferences. I personally haven't found a 60cc or even a 70cc saw that will cut with the 80 and 90cc saws all things being equal. As far as extra weight is concerned, I HATE IT! LOL but the boy that pulls cable for me usually carries the saw around for me too and if he doesn't mind, I sure don't! I cut a red oak Monday that was too big to pull out in one drag so we had to cut it into. My son was at the top using a ms461 with a 20" bar, I was at the butt cut using an xp390 and a 28" bar. I let him get half way through his cut before I started mine and I still finished before he did. For those wondering, this tree had around 1500 ft in it and was on some very steep ground, hence the reason I had to cut it into.

Depending on the diameter of the trees to be cleared I even put the 16”/18” bar with 404” chisel chain on my 2100(100cc) husky. She slices through 15” oak like hot butter. The 353 saw used 16” bars, 266 used 18” bars. Normally the 2100 used 20”/ 24” bars. The last outing cutting at the saw mill was a decade ago using 28” and 32” bars on the 575xp/385xp. Bar length varies.

I guess that's the reason there are so many different size saws and bars, everybody has their own preferences. I personally haven't found a 60cc or even a 70cc saw that will cut with the 80 and 90cc saws all things being equal. As far as extra weight is concerned, I HATE IT! LOL but the boy that pulls cable for me usually carries the saw around for me too and if he doesn't mind, I sure don't! I cut a red oak Monday that was too big to pull out in one drag so we had to cut it into. My son was at the top using a ms461 with a 20" bar, I was at the butt cut using an xp390 and a 28" bar. I let him get half way through his cut before I started mine and I still finished before he did. For those wondering, this tree had around 1500 ft in it and was on some very steep ground, hence the reason I had to cut it into.

Like most things different strokes for different folks. Thanks - I think I have a better understanding now on the big saw short bar especially for boring where the operator determines the load versus straight bucking where you usually let the chain determine the load - at least while it is sharp and self feeding.

As to the 80/90 versus 60/70, I would agree with you on wood larger than 15” or so based upon my experience running 80s and 60s.

Ron

When it was 10 degrees out trust me the shorter bar went on the 2100 theses no time to waste in bucking up firewood.

Latest posts

Back