What kind of boots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently posted that I've been rope climbing more, however I still climb with spurs alot (for removal only - the bulk of our work). I have always worn Redwing linemans boots with a steel shank and toe. I'm in need of some new boots and Wesco was highly recommended to me. but they offer a ton of differnt types. I know I want a climbing boot for when I climb with gaffs, but will this boot still be what I want for rope climbing. Also I'm leaning toward a #100 Vibram sole, but that doesn't come with a steel side plate how many of you guys use or prefer a steel side plate on your climbing boots? I guess my question is what kinds of boots do you use/prefer?

I've worn 5 or 6 different styles of Wescos and my favorite is the 10 inch lace-to toe Highliner with the #100 sole. You can spend all day on gaffs and feel fresh as a daisy when you come down. Not the best for footlocking but you can get the hang of it, just have to squeeze the line a little tighter. Steel sideplates only matter if you are climbing phone poles full of nails.

I have tried Redwings...They are JUNK......

I have tried Baileys and Red Dawgs.....Not comfy and dont last....

I am on my 2nd set of Wescos at the moment...They are DAMN GOOD...

I also have 2 sets of Whites .. 1 pair of smoke jumpers and 1 pair of spiked loggers..... They are DAMN GOOD

Dont waste your money on cheap boots...They dont last and they are really hard on your feet..... Here are some pics of 1 pair of Wescos... These are the boots I wear every day for work... 14" lace to toe..#100 Vibram sole.

100_0017.JPG

100_0018.JPG

100_0013.JPG

100_0015.JPG

Forgot one sorry.... Hoffmans makes a good boot also that is a little bit less money then Whites or Wescos.....

I use a pair of Nick's Foresters because that's what the state bought me.
I have owned Chippawa boots and those were complete junk due to the flexible midsoles, cheap thin leather, and overall poor design.
One day I'll buy a pair of custom fitted Nick's Hotshots. If I love the Foresters then the Hotshots must be realllly nice.

Stick with Nick's, White's, or Wesco and you'll be fine.
Make sure you get the right size. I see too many guys walking around with the sides of their feet hanging off the sole because they didn't get the boot wide enough.

I wear White's Boots made in Spokane WA, the pair I have now have a born on date of 1988. Good boots, custom built to your feet. I have heard good things about Wesco also.

I've worn 5 or 6 different styles of Wescos and my favorite is the 10 inch lace-to toe Highliner with the #100 sole. You can spend all day on gaffs and feel fresh as a daisy when you come down. Not the best for footlocking but you can get the hang of it, just have to squeeze the line a little tighter. Steel sideplates only matter if you are climbing phone poles full of nails.

Same exact style of boot I've been wearing for 10 years. Love them-very durable, can stand on spikes all day without my feet hurting, have them in my size, and are very comfortable even when they are brand new. If I have to climb a rope, I simply strap on a pantin.

Last edited:
get a pair of 16" custome fit wesco's for spike work and keep a pair of low heel redwings in the truck for spikeless work. I got the 100 style sole and love em'. My redwings are just about done, so I will be ordering another pair of wesco's for spikeless. They will custom make the boots so you get them how you want them. For spikeless I will order the Jobmaster 10" with two of the heel lifts removed to make the heel a little less intrusive.

I have tried Redwings...They are JUNK......

I have tried Baileys and Red Dawgs.....Not comfy and dont last....

I am on my 2nd set of Wescos at the moment...They are DAMN GOOD...

I also have 2 sets of Whites .. 1 pair of smoke jumpers and 1 pair of spiked loggers..... They are DAMN GOOD

Dont waste your money on cheap boots...They dont last and they are really hard on your feet..... Here are some pics of 1 pair of Wescos... These are the boots I wear every day for work... 14" lace to toe..#100 Vibram sole.

100_0017.JPG

100_0018.JPG

100_0013.JPG

100_0015.JPG

I'll second that . Wescos are by far the best boots made. I get around a year and a half out of a pair of Wescos. my Red Wings would blow apart in 7-9 mounths.

For those of you with custom fitted boots:
-How much does Wesco charge?
-How big of a difference does custom fitting make?
-Do any of you have flat feet?

I have long narrow feet. No one out there made boots that fit. I had Wesco custom make a set for me and it was like night and day. Right out of the box they fit like a dream. I paid about 325-350 for them. They are worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have long narrow feet. No one out there made boots that fit. I had Wesco custom make a set for me and it was like night and day. Right out of the box they fit like a dream. I paid about 325-350 for them. They are worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds like a deal. Nick's Hotshots are already $400, then an additional $85 for custom fitting.
You can get their Forester boots for $325 and have those custom fitted, but they aren't as rugged as Wesco's lineman boots.

I have wide (EE) forefoots, narrow heels, and my feet aren't as fat as most guys. I know custom fitting will help all these a lot. But...I also have flat feet and I don't know if any of the good boot makers can make boots with posted heels and metatarsal pads.

For those of you with custom fitted boots:
-How much does Wesco charge?
-How big of a difference does custom fitting make?
-Do any of you have flat feet?

I have one set of custom fit Wescos and one off the shelf set also....
They both fit better than anything else I have ever worn.... EXCEPT the Whites.... Whites and Wescos are in the same boat..... They are the best!

I wear my custom Wescos because they fit that much better than the off the shelf boots do. They are like Cadilacs... PLUSH and COMFY..
I keep the off the shelf ones to wear while I have the others rebuilt. I have my boots resoled every year and rebuilt every two to three...

The Whites seem to last a little longer though.. I have hed both pairs for around six years. My smoke jumpers are on one rebuild after a really bad winter...

Nicks are good boots also, but not as good as Whites or Wescos...

My Whites both cost me $385.00, custom fit....

My Wescos cost me $240.00 off the shelf and $350.00 custom fit...

I have very short, wide feet...They are flat as boards... However, Both Whites and Wescos have very high Archs.... I love them. Even with flat feet they really help out. I havent ever had a boot with arch support. It helps out.

Good luck with your boots...... Jeremy

Nicks are good boots also, but not as good as Whites or Wescos...

The NCFS used to get White's, but Nick's has had the contract for the last 6 or 7 years.
The FS used to buy use the Hotshots, but in the last two years they've got us the Foresters. What we've seen is the hotshots hold up a lot better than the Foresters.
My Boss's favorite shoes are his 8 year old White's and says the Hotshots are just as good, but the Foresters are a joke. We end up losing money by going with the cheaper ones because we get them rebuilt more often.

Latest posts

Back