What kind of loader is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliman99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
These are stills from a video I came across on YouTube of a crew loading some logs into a stake truck. The equipment configuration being used would be perfect for a one-off job I have coming up.

If anyone can answer a couple questions for me, I'd really appreciate it !

First off, I'm not familiar enough with loader terminology to even be sure exactly what the proper name for the (blue) loader is... is it a common enough piece of equipment to have a nickname? or is it a custom rig?

What I see: hydraulic, articulated arm, rotating platform (not sure what range), runs off PTO of the stake truck, 2 outriggers.

What's the term for the type of grip at end of articulated arm?

3rd and last question: If the (blue loader) is a standard piece of equipment, is this particular configuration--stake truck with (blue loader) at rear end of bed-- a common enough configuration that there's a chance of finding something similar for rent at one of the heavy equipment rental places? Or is this a custom rig I just have to admire and forget about?

Any help, info, comments, observations etc. are greatly appreciated !

:):):)

attachment.php

attachment.php

These are stills from a video I came across on YouTube of a crew loading some logs into a stake truck. The equipment configuration being used would be perfect for a one-off job I have coming up.

If anyone can answer a couple questions for me, I'd really appreciate it !

First off, I'm not familiar enough with loader terminology to even be sure exactly what the proper name for the (blue) loader is... is it a common enough piece of equipment to have a nickname? or is it a custom rig?

What I see: hydraulic, articulated arm, rotating platform (not sure what range), runs off PTO of the stake truck, 2 outriggers.

What's the term for the type of grip at end of articulated arm?

3rd and last question: If the (blue loader) is a standard piece of equipment, is this particular configuration--stake truck with (blue loader) at rear end of bed-- a common enough configuration that there's a chance of finding something similar for rent at one of the heavy equipment rental places? Or is this a custom rig I just have to admire and forget about?

Any help, info, comments, observations etc. are greatly appreciated !

:):):)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like my prentice even the clam shell grapple. I have a bit different rotation setup though and my cylinders are twice as big. I was told mine is a b model prentice converted to behind cab mount!
002-4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ropensaddle!:clap:

Your Prentice reference sent me to their website. So I now know the rig is an A-frame Trailer-mount Knuckleboom Self-Loader with a clamshell grapple. Hydraulic pump run off PTO.

Now to see if a stake truck outfitted with one is available to rent around here...

THANKS AGAIN ! Here's to lightning-fast answers!:clap:

Thanks Ropensaddle!:clap:

Your Prentice reference sent me to their website. So I now know the rig is an A-frame Trailer-mount Knuckleboom Self-Loader with a clamshell grapple. Hydraulic pump run off PTO.

Now to see if a stake truck outfitted with one is available to rent around here...

THANKS AGAIN ! Here's to lightning-fast answers!:clap:

Arborwell (sp) has 1

Here is something similar that is front mounted. It's a Barko 160A. I had this outfit haul a big cottonwood tree that I cut up for a job. It was all this loader could handle, the releaf valves were squeeling and the guy running it told me he was pretty nervous picking it up.

Back