What kind of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Can you tell me what kind of wood this is?

Sorry for the low quality pic, I don't take pics to well and the cheap camera doesn't help.

I will say this about the wood, that was the most awful stuff we have ever split. It is really stringy and soaking wet. We have a 20 ton Yard Machines splitter and a couple of times, it would not split it. It was so wet that it would sink in the wood a couple of inches or more before it would start to split. Had to split each piece two times because it was so stringy. Some of it would just come off in pieces.

Without looking at it closer, if it was around Iowa, I would say dead elm. If that is what you have, it burns awesome, good btus!:msp_thumbup:

looks like cottonwood. Also, since you say it's soaking wet, that makes me think cottonwood. Dead elm that's lost it's bark would not be soaking wet like that.

Can you tell me what kind of wood this is?

Sorry for the low quality pic, I don't take pics to well and the cheap camera doesn't help.

I will say this about the wood, that was the most awful stuff we have ever split. It is really stringy and soaking wet. We have a 20 ton Yard Machines splitter and a couple of times, it would not split it. It was so wet that it would sink in the wood a couple of inches or more before it would start to split. Had to split each piece two times because it was so stringy. Some of it would just come off in pieces.
Need a closer pic of the one that has bark!

Without looking at it closer, if it was around Iowa, I would say dead elm. If that is what you have, it burns awesome, good btus!:msp_thumbup:

I second Forky. Although there is one piece with the bark I'm not to sure about.
Whatever it is I bet it puts out heat. Looks like a good score!

Do those smooth pieces have bark on them or is that just a gray color on debarked wood? The reason I ask is that I don't know of any elm with smooth bark on limbs that big.

The smooth pieces do not have bark on them.

My dad does not think it is elm, he thinks it is cottonwood.

I might try to get a better pic of the wood.

There are probably three more trees of the same type but honestly I don't know if we will be getting anymore of it. The stuff is a PITA to split, really stringy. Plus, some of the rounds are a pain to move around since they are so big and heavy. We noodled some of them in half but the chain kept getting clogged up from the noodles. How do you keep the chain from clogging up while noodling?

That looks like elm but the elm I've split wasn't too bad. Yea it was stringy but it was not wet. I wonder if it being wet made it harder to split and like was mentioned before the elm I always split seems to be dry so it makes ya wonder if it is cotton wood. Never have split that. Red elm splits a lot easier than piss elm or whatever its real name is. Here's a load of piss elm.
jpeg95reencoded95154600.jpg
jpeg95reencoded95152666.jpg
Guess it's not a very good pic. It does burn good though.

Last edited:
The smooth pieces do not have bark on them.

My dad does not think it is elm, he thinks it is cottonwood.

I might try to get a better pic of the wood.

There are probably three more trees of the same type but honestly I don't know if we will be getting anymore of it. The stuff is a PITA to split, really stringy. Plus, some of the rounds are a pain to move around since they are so big and heavy. We noodled some of them in half but the chain kept getting clogged up from the noodles. How do you keep the chain from clogging up while noodling?

Hold the saw at a slight angle. It'll make the noodles a tad bit shorter...:rock:

Here is another pic. Hopefully you can tell what it is easier.

All of the wood in both pics came from the same tree.

Elm

Sure looks like elm to me. The bigger stuff (log) will still be wet but the limbs that have lost their bark should be ready to burn and burn well. Get the big rounds split and at this point will dry fairly quickly and will for sure be ready for next season. Try burning some and you will like it! I burn standing dead elm almost exclusively with some oak mixed in now and then-love it.

Yup..cottonwood, when green they are wet and stringy. Bark looks exactly like the cottonwood we have around here.

Latest posts

Back