What knot are you tying on before you drop those tops?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've tried a few different knots on the big pieces over the past few years, but they all bind tightly into the wood and take too long to get undone when it's all on the ground. I bet they all bind like that.

Running bowline binding too tight? Try a half hitch on the wood before the bowline to lessen the bind.
I am sure this will raise some objections from the armchair arborists but the timber hitch works well and is very easy to untie...

Not sure what its called, but i wrap the rope around once, making sure the load goes opposite the rope back to the tree. After the wrap I running bowline it. Never had a problem untying it. The wife even done it the other day, with nails, and didn't have an issue. Might wanna post a picture, could be tying it wrong.

ever tried using a sling and clipping rope on with a biner?

Looks like a timber hitch. But we don't have all the wraps bunched at the bite like in the picture

Looks like a timber hitch to me also.
I don't climb but use that hitch to drag, three to five wraps and away we go. I use the bowline if I need loop.
The butterfly if I need a loop in the ruinning end, much better than an overhand in the doubled end which is almost imposible to untie without a fid.
There must be hundreds if not thousands of knots, pick your own poisen.

FREM

Looks like a timber hitch. But we don't have all the wraps bunched at the bite like in the picture

Seems like the same. Actually, when I do it, it looks more like the drawing on the link you posted (I posted the first link I found on google). At least, now, I know how you call it in English! Thanks.
That knot has always worked for me and it is always easy and quick to untie. I use it to drop tops as well as when I need to pull a tree with a truck, winch or tractor. When dropping tops, I always put it above a branch, since it can slip as long as there is no tension on it. Once the weight pulls it tight, it does not bulge. I Usually wrap the other end of the rope around a strong branch (a few turns, depending on the weight of the top). That way, I can easily loosen the wrap and lower the top to the ground.
Those are self-taught techniques (used for years), and I am always interested in learning other options.

Yup, some guys call that knot-less rigging. Much faster than tying knots too.

Now I know you are a Real Tree Guy! Some of the new new generation think of sling's and speedline and zips. Cant go wrong with a clove and a half. Good ta meet ya Racer.
Jeff

Sarcastic, anyway, what size sling are you gonna put on a piece at 1k and between 2 house's? Let's not (knot) confuse this thread. I really enjoy reading FTA!
Jeff

Last edited:
I didn't expect to get this much knowledge out of my question. I'll give all this some closer attention this weekend. It's late. I put 13 hours down today, and have to places to be tomorrow bright and early.

.......give those knot names the research this weekend.

you really are one werid dude

Sorry, I guess you had to be there to really get why that is so funny. Its the same thing this other wannabe, like FTA, said a while ago but that guy was being serious at trying to be funny. I was just quoting what he said because it had the same bearing. Really, its the knot for FTA other than the one in his head.

Latest posts

Back