What knot are you tying on before you drop those tops?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had a sling slip off. It is all in the set up, and ya don't use the same thing every time, when running brush, I use loop slings, on the bigger stuff I use Tuflex eye to eye slings, when I am on the really big stuff, I go back to clove and half hitch, actually use the half hitch on alot of them,even with the slings and biners. Gotta know your gear and its capabilities. I never use slings on big wood butt hitching, that I cant let run,dynamic loading can make crazy things happen. Although I have never had a sling come off, I believe it could on a nice big chunk that comes to a sudden stop mid air, so I avoid using them.

I went knotless for limbs last year but the gear is not rated for shockload so I stay within its parameters. If im doing a big stick where dynamic loading can occur, I use a marline or two and bowline it will also cushion the load a bit.

I went knotless for limbs last year but the gear is not rated for shockload so I stay within its parameters. If im doing a big stick where dynamic loading can occur, I use a marline or two and bowline it will also cushion the load a bit.

Not sure where you get yours. I found that if I go to rock climbing stores like Active Endeavors, they usually have nicer ones that are rated higher and are cheaper, plus they sell the same petzl and black diamond biners for half the price of sherrill. Just a FYI

Not sure where you get yours. I found that if I go to rock climbing stores like Active Endeavors, they usually have nicer ones that are rated higher and are cheaper, plus they sell the same petzl and black diamond biners for half the price of sherrill. Just a FYI

I use tubular nylon endless loops formed with a Beer Knot for anything under a couple hundred pounds.

Clove hitch even with 1/2 hitch scares me because I had one roll out when it bounced on the rope and went for a free fall, a limb stub caught the roof and minor puncture and went spinning breaking a small pane of glass on the storm window.
i am an official window glazer now.:msp_wink:

I use tubular nylon endless loops formed with a Beer Knot for anything under a couple hundred pounds.

Clove hitch even with 1/2 hitch scares me because I had one roll out when it bounced on the rope and went for a free fall, a limb stub caught the roof and minor puncture and went spinning breaking a small pane of glass on the storm window.
i am an official window glazer now.:msp_wink:

I had one roll out years ago too, so if i use one now its double half hitched but i use the bowline almost exclusive combined with a couple marlines for the slick limbs.

Move here and its the other way around. They got crap at the outfitters and if they got anything good its just as exspensive and hokey pokey.

They are likely good climbing gear; but not rigging. Are they shock rated; and what is rating.. anything in the 70+kN range?

Last edited:
I like the Beer Knot for flat webbing, its much stronger than the Water Knot but not as bombproof as the Whiskey Knot.

Anyhoo, F.T.A. I will let you in on a little secret for lowering big wood on yer rigging line: Go Granny Knot or go home!:rock:

Personally I use Running Bowline for the small stuff, add a half hitch as I get to the bigger limbs and then as many as 2 to 3 HH with the RBL for the really big ****. All False Crotch and Porty keeps my ropes strong and purty and long lived and my wallet fat!:msp_thumbup:

I like the Beer Knot for flat webbing, its much stronger than the Water Knot but not as bombproof as the Whiskey Knot.

Anyhoo, F.T.A. I will let you in on a little secret for lowering big wood on yer rigging line: Go Granny Knot or go home!:rock:

Personally I use Running Bowline for the small stuff, add a half hitch as I get to the bigger limbs and then as many as 2 to 3 HH with the RBL for the really big ****. All False Crotch and Porty keeps my ropes strong and purty and long lived and my wallet fat!:msp_thumbup:

And here I was just getting down my pappy knot. :bang:

They are likely good climbing gear; but not rigging. Are they shock rated; and what is rating.. anything in the 70+kN range?

Yur right, no big rigging stuff, but good climbing biners, same exact petzl ones they carry at vermeer, the loop slings are rated abit higher, like 5kn higher. The biners cost 12.95 at AE, as opposed to 21.

I have some 50 plus kn stuff, no stuff thats 70 (biners or links anyway) whatcha got that is that high? I had that gold rigging triple lock from sherrill, cost like 40 bucks, it was 54kn, I think, but was stolen pretty quick, had some big O guys give me a hand on a make safe, pretty sure it walked away with them.

@ The DAN- I was thinking it would be that way too, went in their looking for a cool ski jacket for the boy, looked over, seen this wall of gear, had to look! was surprised to see their prices, walked out with a couple bags off stuff, plus they carry all kinds of neat little gadgets for gear storage. They are building a brand new store, so I am sure the prices will go up.

Last edited:
I have some 50 plus kn stuff, no stuff thats 70 (biners or links anyway) whatcha got that is that high?

Bailey's - Omega Pacific Steel Side Swing Gate Carabiner - Screw Lock

Omega Pacific Steel Side Swing Gate Carabiner - Screw Lock

Large D shape for great handling, huge gate opening and massive strength! At a rated strength of 72kN, it's one of the strongest carabiners in the world! Heat-treated, half-load tested (over 8000 lbf.) and built to exacting standards, the1/2" Large D is one very fine steel carabiner. This unit not only exceeds NFPA 1983.01 standards, it also exceeds ANSI/OSHA strength requirements. Where required it also meets NFPA 1983.01 construction standards. It has UL Classification G

looks just like the one I had, i have others that are in the 50's, but that one was nice, ordering a couple of those 70's, good price, thanx!

I been doing this stuff for 24 years and have yet to see a bowline get so tight that i couldn't untie it so with that said I use the bowline and nothing else, have been know to take a wrap then tie the running bowline...

I been doing this stuff for 24 years and have yet to see a bowline get so tight that i couldn't untie it so with that said I use the bowline and nothing else, have been know to take a wrap then tie the running bowline...

Agreed, people just trying to look intellectual here to no avail. I might tie a timber hitch with a safety once in a while when it doesn't have to be sent up like r bowline. Easier to undo for gm than bowline.

how do u tie a ,"rope" ....whats a knot as u say....... rolls eyes

anybody trust a cinching knot with there life on your biner but not to drop a top .....really?

now i did make a mistake with working with the people i did that day , um they ...uh ...hmmm this is tough ,had a helluva time untie'n a bowline ......

and i wasnt gonna try a dbl fish .....

Last edited:
Agreed, people just trying to look intellectual here to no avail. I might tie a timber hitch with a safety once in a while when it doesn't have to be sent up like r bowline. Easier to undo for gm than bowline.

I agree that some here try to appear intellectual to no avail (lol), but why is it so hard for poor Kyle to untie your bowlines? And wtf is a timber hitch with a 'safety'??

:msp_confused:

I would answer anybody else, but a deuschbag like you's gonna have to send me a 20 spot for a lesson.:buttkick:

I'm guessing its like I seen a couple of the Lewis greenhorns that I've tried out over the years tie it, with the half hitch at the tail. Its because they're green, and don't trust a well proven knot!

But please, where do I send the $20 spot, oh great one??

Back