What knot do you use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hellow all ,I was wonderin what size rope yall like to use for body thrusting.I have large hands and realy like 5/8 . I also have a sliced eye in one end.Ialso use a splitail with an eye spliced in each end one for biner and one for prussik hitch very fast to set up.have you guyes tried these.let me know

sharpstikman said:
hellow all ,I was wonderin what size rope yall like to use for body thrusting.I have large hands and realy like 5/8 . I also have a sliced eye in one end.Ialso use a splitail with an eye spliced in each end one for biner and one for prussik hitch very fast to set up.have you guyes tried these.let me know

5/8" climbing line is a lot of weight to carry around a tree. I will stick with my 1/2". As for large hands grabbing rope, get a pair of Atlas gloves and you will get a much better grip on climbing line regardless of diameter.

Tree Machine said:
but with 13 mm climbing or rigging line...

Although an excellent, biner-gripping testosterone knot, you have just created the biggest, bulkiest rope termination known to man. You're almost required to leave the bitter end straight, unterminated because that's the end you'll be pulling through the crotch to get your rope out of the tree. You pull that T.F. & a biner through, you are asking, begging for the rope to get hung up in a crotch and your request will be answered.

TM, I always untie it before pulling it out of a tree. It is easy to untie when the biner is removed, which is also easy to do. It ain't bulky enough to bother me. of course, I still prefer a spliced eye, naturellement, monsieur...

Actually, the knot of choice for rock and mt climbers is a double figure eight; now there's some bulk for ya, in 16 strand, 1/2 inch line!!

That would be another bombproof knot that would work. And there are more, which leads me to an analogy regarding knots and spliced eyes.

A man was in the business of delivering dirt. He had the very richest dirt in the land and people wanted his dirt and would await delivery for weeks. He had a backlog of over a hundred people! He had a dump bed on his pickup and a rockin stereo. When he was delivering a load, he would listen to the radio, he'd groove to the music and he'd be thinkin, "I'm gonna make a paycheck and the people are gonna be so happy...." He would deliver his most excellent, rich, black soil, he would enjoy the praise, he would get his paycheck and he'd zoom on back, all excited, ready to start on another load.

Two weeks it would take him to fill up his pickup bed. SharpStickman was working close by one day, watching this guy all morning from high up in the tree, diligently loading his pickup truck. Sharpstick walked over to him around lunch and said, "Hey Dood, why are you loading your most excellent, loamy, nutrient-rich and balanced soil into the back of your pickup truck with a table-spoon???" "Cuz it works. In two weeks, I deliver another load and get another paycheck." Sharpstickman, feeling some compassion for the pithetic idiot said, "Hey, I've got an idea." Goes to his truck, pulls out an old rusty garden trowel. "Try this." sez SharpStick The garden trowel was SO MUCH faster. Now he could fill his truck in two days.

rbTree was working the next door over some time later. He was watching this man at his business from high up in the tree, diligently loading his pickup truck, walked over to him around lunch and said, "Hey Dood, why are you loading your most excellent, loamy, nutrient-rich and balanced soil into the back of your pickup truck with a Garden trowel???" "Cuz it works. In two days, I deliver another load and get another paycheck. Feeling some compassion for the dorkus maximus said, "Hey, I've got an idea." Rb goes to his truck, pulls out an old rusty spade shovel. "Try this." rb sez. The spade shovel was SO MUCH faster. Now he could fill his truck in two hours.

DadaTwins was doing some landscape work across the street and down two houses, across from the Smiths, kitty corner to the Joneses. His two kids were with him (they were twins, don'tcha know). The Twins watched for TWO HOURS as this hard-working muscle-bound individual loaded the entire bed of his pickup truck with a spade shovel. The very dirty, sweaty, partly dehydrated guy with sore shoulders and blistered hands, gets in his truck, cranks up the tunes, puts a big 'ol cheesey grin on his face and begins his most enjoyable part of his enture business- Rockin and rollin while delivering mulch, eatin a sammich, drinkin some Gatorade, knowing that when he got to his destination the people were gonna be so happy and they would praise him up and down and so very appreciatively cut him a check. This was pure joy. THIS was where it's at. What he used to enjoy every two weeks, and then every two days, he was now enjoying every TWO HOURS.

As Mr. Excellent loamy rich dark black soil was pullin out, DadaTwins saw this load of excellent loamy rich dark black soil driving by and thought to himself, "This yard we're doing here could really use a load of excellent loamy rich dark black soil."

Excellent loamy rich dark black soil man returned a short time later, jammin to his rock and roll and smilin from ear to ear, when DadaTwins flagged him down. "Hey there, neighbor, could we get from you a load of your excellent loamy rich dark black soil for use here in our landscaping?" "Sure thing. I'll have it ready for you in two hours."

Dadatwins said, OK, but he was hesitant because they were finished with the job- all except for the spreading of the excellent loamy rich dark black soil. The twins saw Dad furrow his brow, scratch his chin, and they knew he was pondering, "What are we gonna do for the next two hours while we wait for the excellent loamy rich dark black soil?" he thought. The twins had been aware of all that was goin' down and they had an idea. They ran up to Papa and started tuggin on his pantleg...

"Dad, Dad, Dad, hey, Dad dad, hey Dad..." Just a moment, boys, I'm scratching my chin and pondering. " But Dad, Dad, Dad, hey, Dad dad, hey Dad..." "Yessssss?" "We've got an idea! We've were watchin' him for two hours this morning. The reason it's takin two hours is because he's loading the pickup with a rusty spade shovel. Why don't we go over there with our NewHolland positrack skidsteer loader and fill it up for him." "Hey kids, that's a pretty good idea. You two know how to operate safely the NewHolland positrack skidsteer loader. Why don't YOU two go load him up."

Eagerly they jumped aboard, went through their OSHA-approved startup protocol, adhered to all safety procedures, and then sped down past two houses and across the street. The shovel man saw them coming and stepped out of the way. The NewHolland positrack skidsteer loader dug it's front loading bucket deep into the excellent loamy rich dark black soil. The shovel guy watched in amazement. His jaw dropped, his eyes widened. He was watching the ultimate in the loading of excellent loamy rich dark black soil. We was witnessing soil loading Nirvana.

In just TWO MINUTES, the 7 year olds had loaded the whole truck with excellent loamy rich dark black soil, turned, waved, and went back up the street, past two houses, across from the Smiths, kitty corner to the Joneses. "Good job, boys." dad said. The excellent loamy rich dark black soil truck was on it's way.

OK, there is a story to this moral, but I can't remember what it was. I kinda got lost in the story. I think it was that spliced ropes are easier to come by than NewHolland positrack skidsteer loaders, but you'll have to make up your own interpretations.

Last edited:
[[[[[[[[[[[awesome story ]]]]]]]]]]]]..... i know im not doing it rt. been told it 100 times i use and overhand with bend back up and a grigri attached directly to a twist spap locking biner with a 10.5 mill dia. climbing line...... then double fishermans tied directly to steel loop on my navaho petzl harness with 11.5 mill line for the laynerd gri gri in place ........ sling er round and ready to to go okok im ready for the abuse ..... dark

rbtree said:
Tm, years ago, I tried leather and plastic corner traps, but they didn't work, or broke.

stehansen, a line termination knot should capture the carabiner tightly. A bowline can't, thus cross loading can result, and that is not a good thing! I highly recommend you switch to a triple fisherman's, which is also more secure.

I know that I"m in the dark ages, I was talking about the knot for the rope snap. I haven't worked my up to the biner yet. I just climb occasionally, 95% of my work is from the bucket. I still use the snap with a Blake's hitch, (at least I progressed from the tautline) I think it works pretty good, I'm sure that some of the newer systems are better, it is just that there are so many that I don't want to start buying stuff and there will be no end to it I go from new system to new system.

Whatever is safe and you're comfortable with it.

Maybe instead of thinking of it as 'some of the newer systems, changing, new system to new system' try on "Other ways of handling friction" you don't have to give up a trusty system to try some new things. And it really never hurts to just read about different ways, and have discussions.

We're first about safety and then about ways of handling friction.

Hey, we can boil this topic down to using rigging ropes and knots vs spliced eye. In climbing, for me, I don't use the ends of the rope, and so have no need for knots or snaps or biners on either end. But I like each end spliced because it offers you a lot of versatility, but 98% of the time, they're on the ground.

The rigging line, now this is where you use the spliced ends endlessly. This is where you use those eyes almost every time you rig anything. Add a locking steel biner and you are ready to lower limbs. Eye both ends, and you can rig and lower using either end. Your speed just has nowhere to go but up, not because you're climbing with a different system, but because you're rigging using eyed terminations and 'biners. EZ on, EZ off. Add a few slings and you rock. No tying and untying. You are freeeeeee....] Those are the streamlined basics.

Yeah, I use a clove hitch with 2 half hitchs, or if I'm putting it out with a pole I use the running bowline. So do you put a biner through the loop and then around the standing part of the line?

If your eye is long enough (and limb small enough), you choker the limb with the biner on the eye and it comes back an clips back on its own self.

If you want to be double sure your rigging is secure, choker using a cow hitch. It takes about 1.2 seconds longer to do it that way. Regular chokering you can easily do with one hand. The cow hitch, you need two hands. Cow hitch you use for the bigger limbs.

BigUglySquirrel said:
In response to the captive eye biner...the ones I have probably aren't the type you are thinking. I'll see if I can find one and send you the pic.

Tree Machine...as far as spliced eyes go...I'm all for trying it out. Just one problem....I just purchased 2 brand new 120' blue streaks. They're still in the bags, but they don't have eyes spliced. So, does anyone know who can splice these dudes for me? I don't think that Sherril will do it on customer ropes...only they're own stock before shipping. Actually..this should probably go in a new thread....sorry.
don't take them out of the bag! once used they are a royal pita to splice, sometimes imposible. there is a fella in maine, last name is longstaff, i think his first name is henry. He probably will splice your rope. you'll have to google him though, i dont have anymore contact imfo.

why would i qwik reply before fineshing the post? I was worried that, while i was reading the rest of the post, you would run out and throw your nice new line up in a pitch pine or some such thing :dizzy: . good luck with the new rope.

Last edited:
I like a spliced eye made for a biner first and foremost. Second would be a spliced eye girth hitched and for an attachment KNOT I would use an Anchor knot.

sharpstikman said:

I'm on the 7/16 Velosity now and love it so far. I footlock doubled, the tail and bodeythrust every so often. I've come to haite working with 1/2 inch now becuase it's so much bigger and heavier on longer hanks.

As for my knots, all my climbing lines are spliced, and my hitch is a modifed VT with fisherman knots to the carabiner. My tress cord is 8mm KMIII nomex covered. I got it from Brian, who got it from the John that is not as big as me.

Velocity is really nice rope. I had a chance to climb on it at Arbormaster this past week and loved it for footlocking! Far too sticky for climbing though...my hitch kept binding up on it. Nice and light!

The stickiness goes away after awhile, especially if you do a climb or two in the rain.

I have already used one up. Pretty good rope, lasted almost a year. I'm trying out all the other 11 and 10.5's out there, but I will get another Velocity. This rope is very, very impressive.

The way JP has his set up is how I do it, eyes on each end. Everything except how you handle friction, and you (I believe) ascend DbRT where I do DdRT. Nice we're all having success with different techniques on the same rope. John Paul, I'm glad to know with you and your 375 lb frame that you feel comfortable on the light arborist life line. I found it quite trustworth also.

hello yall.thanks for the info.I have been reading the knot section in (the tree climbers companion) on the v.t..it gives the length being 48''-54''.I was working on a piece of 3/8 sta set with a (becket) eye in both ends. do yall think these lengths are to long--short? I have not used this knot while climbing yet , but I do like the way it works.the splice makes the ends stiff and I dont know if that would be a problem while limb walking .Idid set it up with a micro pulley and think it works good,no knots in the way. the carabiner is opened ,put thru one spliced eye then the eye of micro pulley and then the other spliced eye . just like the book shows it.I am working on one made out of 3-strand dacron will let you know how it works. I am working on a design for the footlocking tecnique and im wanting to know what hitch yall prefer to use? also what length . I'am not sure about exactly how short I can make an eye-to-eye splice in 3/8 sta set ,thats next.

sharpstikman said:
I am working on a design for the footlocking tecnique and im wanting to know what hitch yall prefer to use?
Mine, personally, would be called 'dual ascenders' because climbing 2:1 has never made sense to me. Descending on a 2:1 also, too many extra variables. I don't know how to answer any of your other questions.

I shouldn't even be in this conversation. I don't climb with a friction hitch, and I don't tie knots. I don't use them hardly ever. I know a lot of knots from a lifetime of using them in arbo, rock climbing, caving and rigging, and on the farm and growing up fishin. But HONESTLY, and it seems weird admitting this to you guys, knots are not part of my tree care.

Not a diss on knots, because I love em. And even if you switched over to eyed terminations, you'd still use knots, just a lot less of them (rigging limbs).

Latest posts

Back